Convention Center: Hopes and Dreams

Downtown construction activity, including hotel projects, major renovations, office projects, streetscape improvements, etc.
Things are moving behind the scenes:

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... a9d3f.html
Why don't they just eminent domain that garage in the way? It seems like they have no problem using it for other things, so why not on that garage? I doubt that is how you are suppose to use the law but they seem to get around it for other things (nga, airport, proposed new stadium)
^Because eminent domain is only used for less economically mobile ownership groups.
jshank83 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:21 pm
Why don't they just eminent domain that garage in the way? It seems like they have no problem using it for other things, so why not on that garage? I doubt that is how you are suppose to use the law but they seem to get around it for other things (nga, airport, proposed new stadium)
This case is probably more fitting for eminent domain than most. It would be for an actual government public good project instead of a private developer wanting something bigger and better.
framer wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:16 am
Things are moving behind the scenes:

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... a9d3f.html
Almost got excited until I understood that the parking garage purchased wasn't the 7th street garage that truly needs to go if CVC is going to expand and offer competitive ballroom space.

This falls in line with some of the sharp criticism of the region in Amazon thread. Leverage the dome financing and revenue source and at a minimum at least get the garage out of the way, expand ballroom space and come up with dome up with a plan to better integrate the dome/upgrade the space. Someone take leadership between city and county.
I suppose it's folly to propose a property swap? Give the current current owner of the 7th St garage the title to the 9th St garage and some cash for his troubles and have the LCRA/CVC take over the 7th St garage in return?

Owner still gets money from a garage (albeit at a slightly less premium location) and the city finally gets the opportunity to incorporate the garage property into the rest of the convention site.

-RBB
Vince McMahon has press conference at 2PM announcing a 2nd effort to start a pro football league. Will STL be hosting a team??
whitherSTL wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:32 am
Vince McMahon has press conference at 2PM announcing a 2nd effort to start a pro football league. Will STL be hosting a team??
Who cares?
whitherSTL wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:32 am
If they had a team here and got Johnny football or Tebow to play I would go. There has to at least be a couple players that move the needle a bit though (even if they aren't very good). A bunch of no namers aren't going to get me very into it.
I love the game but hate the league. If a new league starts and has a team here I would surely watch the games.
I would definitely watch the XFL, if St. Louis had a team.
He Hate Me II.
I'd rather the dome be used for conventions instead of another football team.
Dying sport.

A league that probably won't even happen.

A league that would fill 1/3 of the dome best case scenario.

A league that's aiming for the MAGA crowd.

None of this league should be taken into consideration when thinking of the future of the dome.
^Any additions of entertainment options should be welcomed without prejudice. If the league approached the CVC with a proposal to establish a team in St. Louis I think they should support it to the degree that they could let them use the dome for games. They could even allow it for a very low price, depending on whether it was likely to interfere a lucrative convention or other event. Maximizing utilization of the asset should be a priority.

That said the level of risk involved in rebooting the league should make the city think three times about offering any kind of incentives beyond forgoing extraction of profits. The city should be at zero risk of losing money if they chose to establish a team here. Personally I think the league will fail again but I think St. Louis would give it enough support that the local team would outperform others within any XFL league. The lack of a superior football option locally and the general sense of betrayal by the NFL are why I primarily why I think it could be ok locally.

Slightly off topic. I wish the NFL was structured more like baseball, with an affiliated minor league instead of using college football as a free farm system. I think it is unfair to the players that they are not compensated for the economic activity they generate in the College system, and when players pass their prime in the NFL there is nowhere for them to go to extract a little more income from the skills they developed in a lower league. Maybe Arena football and Canadian football qualify, but it's not as robust a development league as baseball has developed.

I also tend to think that the primary purpose of colleges is the education of young minds and highly commercial world of college football and basketball distracts from that. Just IMHO aI realize there are a lot of college football fan that dismiss my stance out of hand.
A real farm system would be cool but unfortunately the length of an average career in football is FAR shorter than baseball or hockey. Players union would never go for it
I see the Indy soccer USL soccer team will be playing in Lucas Oil Stadium.
http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/880851

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some good news: this year, Drum Corps International (DCI) will be hosting the "DCI Midwestern Championship" at The Dome on July 15th. This is a brand-new event, largely replacing the smaller "DCI St. Louis" event held in Lebanon, Illinois at McKendree University.

DCI is essentially major-league marching band (but also different!). The other DCI Championship events (for example, San Antonio and World Championships in Indy) are a huge draw (really, every Drum Corps event is). With a premium lineup and smack-dab in the heart of the Midwest (marching band country), this should be a large draw, both 'locally' (counting up to 4 hours travel time by car) and with fans that travel, and will be a nice boost to downtown for a few days (anywhere from 5,000-10,000 fans, participants, and staffers).

I'll definitely be attending, and, based off of my past personal experiences with DCI events, I would HIGHLY recommend this event to anyone that loves music and/or the marching arts.
Trololzilla wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:43 am
Some good news: this year, Drum Corps International (DCI) will be hosting the "DCI Midwestern Championship" at The Dome on July 15th. This is a brand-new event, largely replacing the smaller "DCI St. Louis" event held in Lebanon, Illinois at McKendree University.

DCI is essentially major-league marching band (but also different!). The other DCI Championship events (for example, San Antonio and World Championships in Indy) are a huge draw (really, every Drum Corps event is). With a premium lineup and smack-dab in the heart of the Midwest (marching band country), this should be a large draw, both 'locally' (counting up to 4 hours travel time by car) and with fans that travel, and will be a nice boost to downtown for a few days (anywhere from 5,000-10,000 fans, participants, and staffers).

I'll definitely be attending, and, based off of my past personal experiences with DCI events, I would HIGHLY recommend this event to anyone that loves music and/or the marching arts.
Very cool! Does anyone know if there is a place one can see all the upcoming conventions and possibly the size of them?
ImprovSTL wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:24 am
Very cool! Does anyone know if there is a place one can see all the upcoming conventions and possibly the size of them?
One of the few things that Downtown STL Inc. actually does do well is give a list of big events to downtown businesses, I haven't checked their website but you should check their website and/or you could probably reach out to them.
My gut feeling is that any meaningful Convention Center upgrades and or even a ballroom expansion in the near term is pretty much on hold as County/Stenger continues to seek out the almighty youth sports pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

The Powerplex group seems like another version of the group that didn't want to ante up for a pro soccer stadium.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... e4fc8.html

St. Louis County Executive Steve Stenger has asked the St. Louis Convention and Visitors Commission to contribute $6 million to help pay for the PowerPlex project, a regional youth sports complex that would be located at the failing St. Louis Outlet Mall in Hazelwood.

According to a letter Stenger posted to his Facebook page on Monday, the county called on the CVC to appropriate the funds from its Convention and Recreation Trust Fund.
I see there are only three events scheduled for the Dome at America's Center this year. 1) Drum Corps International competition in July, 2) Taylor Swift concert in September, and 3) Gateway Dirt Nationals in November.

At this rate, I predict the dome will be closed soon. The region needs to decide if they want to go the way of San Antonio who upgraded their dome, which is slightly older and also has no NFL team, to the tune of $50 million to attract NCAA and other events. Or shut it down. In 2012, they offered the Rams a $124 million upgrade, with $60 million coming from CVC.
Don’t forget that there were at least a few events in the dome earlier this year. From the top of my head, I can think of a couple nights of Monster Jam, as well as the annual Supercross motorcycle races. I’m pretty sure the auto show uses the dome, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Huh... I was under the impression that they were doing relatively well. I've been downtown on the weekends and seen people with lanyards on a few times already.
^ The immediate issue, concern in my mind is lack of any progress to buy out the private parking garage tucked away in order to go forward with an expansion of an undersized ballroom space. This seems like a no brainer, very doable aspect of convention space upgrades IMO and somehow reflects on the county leadership focused on in its pursuit of the dream of being the next youth sports mecca over the bread & butter of convention business. Maybe I'm completely off base