The Last Hotel - International Shoe Co. Bldg 1501 Washington

Downtown construction activity, including hotel projects, major renovations, office projects, streetscape improvements, etc.
140 rooms, with focus on the restaurant, I like the proximity to City Museum

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... 511aa.html
Is this the building with Windows on Washington?
I bet they'll do a ton of wedding blocks at this hotel.
Originally from Milwaukee, never been to the Iron Horse, but everyone I've ever talked to in Milwaukee absolutely loves it.
Great news. We need to add more foot traffic towards the west of the strip. Things thin out around this area.
framer wrote:
Is this the building with Windows on Washington?

No. This is a block east, directly in front of City Museum.
International Shoe is the one that had the Imagine Academy in it... empty (or nearly empty) since it closed a couple years ago.

A damned sophisticated building
Is there a good story behind the hippo on the roof?

hippo? I don't see no hippo.
It was placed there by Bob Cassily. This is awesome news for the western edge of Washington avenue and there's more to come from what I've heard.
I also wish the planning department would come up with a development plan to push development north.
[quote="framer"]Is this the building with Windows on Washington?[/quote]
This was the original location for Windows on Washington back in the 90's. They used both the first and top floor for event space.
More Incentives wanted for this now.

https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/new ... s-for.html
St. Louis advances tax credits for International Shoe hotel project
St. Louis officials have approved additional financial help for a downtown hotel project that a Milwaukee-based developer has been putting together for nearly two years.

The board of the St. Louis Development Corp. voted Thursday to contribute up to $6.5 million in federal New Markets Tax Credits to aid in the $57 million redevelopment of the International Shoe Company building.
http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... 934c8.html
Really think a shoe store at retail level would be great, although anything in the garment realm would make me happy.

Also not sure about the proposed name "The Last". I get the idea is to reference a shoe term in the name given the buildings original purpose, but i just don't like how it sounds and the fact that the name is almost guaranteed to be lost on and worse misunderstood by patrons. Went to a glossary of shoe terms and found a few that i thought were better.

Hotel Brogue
Hotel Rand
Hotel Vamp

but my favorite based on the way it sounds as well as the underlying origins was

Hotel Bespoke

Bespoke -- A truly bespoke shoe is made on a last that has been custom-made for an individual, rather than one of the standard lasts that used for 99.999% of the shoes in the world. In addition, a bespoke shoe customer gets to choose most every detail of construction, from major choices like the leather to details like heel type.

Of course a name like that could raise expectation to a unreasonable level.

Close second

Hotel Cordwainer

A cordwainer is a shoemaker who makes new shoes from new leather. The cordwainer's trade can be contrasted with the cobbler's trade, according to a tradition in Britain that restricted cobblers to repairing shoes.
STLEnginerd wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:23 pm
Really think a shoe store at retail level would be great, although anything in the garment realm would make me happy.

Also not sure about the proposed name "The Last". I get the idea is to reference a shoe term in the name given the buildings original purpose, but i just don't like how it sounds and the fact that the name is almost guaranteed to be lost on and worse misunderstood by patrons. Went to a glossary of shoe terms and found a few that i thought were better.

Hotel Brogue
Hotel Rand
Hotel Vamp
. . .
Yeah, Last isn't the best name. I'd never have understood the point without your description. But Hotel Rand has a nice ring to it. It's got some history. Your suggestions all move in the right direction, but I think that's my favorite.
hoffa270 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:56 am
St. Louis advances tax credits for International Shoe hotel project
St. Louis officials have approved additional financial help for a downtown hotel project that a Milwaukee-based developer has been putting together for nearly two years.

The board of the St. Louis Development Corp. voted Thursday to contribute up to $6.5 million in federal New Markets Tax Credits to aid in the $57 million redevelopment of the International Shoe Company building.
http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... 934c8.html
Believe SLDC was awarded $75 million in last round of New Market Tax Credits at end of 2016. However, tried a weak attempt at research as I was curious how much New Market Tax Credits have been awarded to date on the amount if anyone knows were to look. SLDC city web page didn't seem to have much as it pertained to New Market Tax Credits. Obviously the approval of $6.5 million.
The other item curious, anyone have a good idea what current cash market is on the tax credits. Believe it was slowly dropping, eroding away but not sure if that means it below 20 cents on the dollar, or closer to 30 cents.
Developer closes on financing for $54 million downtown hotel

https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/new ... hotel.html
Fe Equus Development, a Milwaukee-based developer, has closed on its financing package for a planned $54 million hotel in downtown St. Louis.

The hotel, which will be called The Last Hotel, will be in a rehabbed International Shoe Co. building at 1501 Washington Ave.

The 10-story project calls for 144 rooms, a rooftop bar and pool, fitness center, business center and two ballrooms that combined total nearly 15,000 square feet.

A new 10-story hotel at 1501 Washington Avenue will include 144 rooms, a rooftop bar and pool, fitness center, business center and two ballrooms that combined total nearly 15,000 square feet. The building is the former headquarters of the International Shoe Company.

Fe Equus owner Tim Dixon said the hotel should be up and running by the end of the first quarter next year.

The developer, along with partners such as Aries Capital of Chicago, is putting about $10 million into the project. Another $17 million is coming from tax credit equity. And Fe Equus is using property tax abatement (10 years full abatement and five years 50 percent abatement) to help fund the project.

Dixon said the project has been delayed roughly 14 months as he tried to put the financing together. Dixon said new banking rules associated with independent hotel loans were the cause of the delay.

U.S. Bank is Fe Equus’ lender on the project. U.S. Bank Community Development Corp. provided the tax credit financing.

Dixon said he’s partnering with local providers to make The Last Hotel — a term that pays homage to the shoe-making industry — a must-visit for St. Louisans.

“We like to say we’re not really a hotel, but a great food an beverage venue for the locals,” Dixon said. “It just so happens that there are great rooms upstairs. But we’ll have a great bar and restaurant that will have local breweries and distilleries involved.”

The hotel, which is being designed by Minneapolis-based architecture firm ESG, is one of about 12 hotels in various stages of development in the city of St. Louis.

A development group called Mendenhall Partnership LLC announced plans of a $55 million mixed-use project that would include a 125-room boutique hotel on the southwest corner of Locust Street and Jefferson Avenue.

Aside from The Last Hotel, two other boutique hotels are in the works, including concepts in the vacant LaSalle Building, at 501 Olive St. and a mostly vacant office building at 705 Olive St.

Fe Equus has developed similar projects to The Last Hotel in other markets. In 2008, Dixon opened a luxury boutique hotel in downtown Milwaukee called The Iron Horse Hotel. He also opened the Hewing Hotel in the North Loop in Minneapolis.

"The Iron Horse is a Milwaukee experience and destination hotel and the Hewing is a Minneapolis experience," he said. "The Last Hotel is going to be a St. Louis experience."
Rendering's?
The Iron Horse is *very* cool in Milwaukee. Nice finishes, great atmosphere. Definitely a locals and a tourist hangout.
$25M building permit issued this week.
Yep, demo crews have been there all week. Fence went up yesterday. Sticks out into Washington far enough to cause you to have to drive on the zipper going westbound. Rather annoying on my commute to the office the past couple mornings.
^Yeah, but it's a "good" kind of annoying. :wink:
^The terrible repaving job still bothers me more...
Article on The Last

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... paign=dlvr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk