The Mercantile Library Block

Downtown construction activity, including hotel projects, major renovations, office projects, streetscape improvements, etc.
Our resident Presbyterian saw Brandonview was granted a permit to build ramps for a future parking garage in the interior of 516 Locust, one of the buildings built in the 50s adjacent to the older 1880's building that was reclad in the 50s and housed the Mercantile Library. Not sure what the larger plans are, if any, but hopefully this is part of a larger plan to redevelop the adjacent buildings. (Brandonview bought the properties from Spinnaker earlier this year and owns the entire square block except for the Lasalle on Olve and the small adjacent building on Broadway that used to house Paradowski Creative,)
I'm not optimistic that garage development is going to lead to any worthwhile development. Garage development indicates to my admittedly uneducated perspective the opposite. "So we've got this building and nothing is happening, let's turn it into a garage so that we can at least make something off of it."

I apologize for my pessimism.
^ I agree with you
^ I think you guys are absolutely right that the typical Saint Louis move would be put to put in interior parking pretty much for the hell of it. But the thing that's different here is that the developer is of a mindset that you can't build apartments downtown fast enough.... he is certainly of a different mold than almost every other downtown actor and I wouldn't be surprised if his plan is to create interior parking in portions of the block to service new apartments elsewhere in the block.

I bet though that he has plans for the adjacent 1880s building (that unfortunately has been defaced and abused) -- either planned to be new residential or office or as part of the parking garage.
Yeah, I suspect this is just parking for his residential projects on that block.

It's his residential projects that tend to concern me. He would do well to hire a good architect and take advantage of historic tax credits on these properties. The end result would be a great improvement.
Can the structure of this building hold the weight off a lot of cars? I think the parking would be in the basement with residential/ offices on the other floors.
^ good question and I have no idea about the interior of the buildings... I'm not even sure they're separated inside as they were all part of the bank. All I know is that we need to track down any living persons who were responsible for the murder of the Romanesque exterior of the 1880s building and engage in an old-fashioned defenestration. They are monsters!
True_dope wrote:
Can the structure of this building hold the weight off a lot of cars? I think the parking would be in the basement with residential/ offices on the other floors.

Back in the late 90s, there were plans to convert it to a data center. I'm not sure how the structural requirements for servers differ from that of cars, but I'm guessing the floors can accommodate quite a bit of weight.
^ interesting. I'd rather have this messed up complex house a big data center than RR/X. (Although dredger's idea -- I think it is his -- of being able to live and work above the cloud is a good one.

In regards to the 1880's building, is that pretty much beyond reasonable hope that the facade could ever be restored to its former glory? I believe I read it was pretty much sawed off flat and essentially murdered.
roger wyoming II wrote:
^ interesting. I'd rather have this messed up complex house a big data center than RR/X. (Although dredger's idea -- I think it is his -- of being able to live and work above the cloud is a good one.

In regards to the 1880's building, is that pretty much beyond reasonable hope that the facade could ever be restored to its former glory? I believe I read it was pretty much sawed off flat and essentially murdered.

As I understand it, the only option for the facade is to keep it as it is. Kind of like the 411 building at 10th and Locust. The original facade is just too far gone to save.

Personally, I've always thought this building would work well as office space. I'd almost rather see it sectioned off into separate buildings again. The portion of it that faces Olive is a really cool little building.
I kind of figured this would move faster than the rest as Brandonview doesn't dilly dally with incentives; multifam building permit has been issue. (h/t presby... you can subscribe to his twitter newsletter to get this and other inside info @PresbyterianStl)
Isn't there a mammoth parking garage on the other side of the street?
^ yes, although this is to service a rather quirky project... I see the story on the project was never posted here:

Planned for Hayden’s adjoining buildings, which range from five to six stories high, are apartments that would have parking at their front doors.

Ramps inside the buildings would allow residents to drive to their apartments on what, in effect, would be indoor streets. The interior ramps would have to be constructed.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... 9efaa.html
Ramps inside the buildings would allow residents to drive to their apartments on what, in effect, would be indoor streets.

The future as I've always envisioned it!
^ The future is here, sir! Actually, this thing in Miami is craaazy!

The world's billionaires are flocking to Miami's luxurious Porsche Design Tower, where they can use an elevator for their cars
http://www.businessinsider.com/billiona ... wer-2016-2

the future is even better than envisaged.....

I'm being ironically snarky btw.
Former Mercantile Library

Except for the Hotel Indigo site, developer Brian Hayden owns the block bounded by North Broadway and Olive, Sixth and Locust streets. The block includes the Millennium Center, the former Mercantile Library and other buildings of five or six floors.

Hayden already has rehabbed the Millennium Center as a mixture of offices and apartments. In August, he described for the Post-Dispatch his intention to redo the other buildings on the block as apartments with parking at their front doors.

Ramps inside the now-vacant buildings would let residents to drive to their apartments on what, in effect, would be indoor streets. The interior ramps would have to be constructed.

Hayden said each floor could have features to signify a theme — rocks to simulate a desert and fake snow to set a winter scene — for examples. He said the apartments could be ready in 2018.

A city building permit issued Dec. 13 outlines a $327,000 project that indicates construction of parking on several floors. Efforts this week to reach Hayden for comment were unsuccessful.
http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... f4f51.html
That is a little bit crazy. I guess he wants to do a St. Louis Centre concept but add apartments or condos instead of just parking. Crazy.

Did they even power-wash the building. I thought a paint job would look good.
bwcrow1s wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:12 pm
Isn't there a mammoth parking garage on the other side of the street?
The garage across from Locust belongs to Stifel and the garage across from Broadway belongs to the Federal Reserve.
I heard that the Federal Reserve tried to purchase this building at some point to demo it and build an office tower on top of a parking garage as they need to expand (more than half of their workers are on rented space at 300 Broadway, the black building north of the old HQ).
^Didn't the Fed build a new building something like ten years ago? Have they outgrown that one already?
framer wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:06 pm
^Didn't the Fed build a new building something like ten years ago? Have they outgrown that one already?
They expanded the old building from half a block to cover the entire block, the north side of the Fed building looks like the south side but is actually much newer.

See the old half-block building here (perspective from SE I believe):https://www.google.com/search?q=st+loui ... b7eLhvFUyM:
and the current one-block building here (perspective from NE, so new part in the foreground): https://www.google.com/search?q=st+loui ... V5oZnt9SAM:

Their operations expanded considerably in the last few years AFTER the building expansion as all Treasury Payments operations were concentrated in St Louis (previously they were spread around the Fed System, with a lot of work being done in Boston and New York). I believe hearing that the number of employees more than doubled at the time. As a result, they cannot fit anyone in the old (expanded) building and rent several floors on 300 Broadway.
goat314 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:25 pm
Looks odd with those modern balconies going onto something that looks meh. I wonder f they will do the balcony thing on Locust and 6th. Wish they good restore the original façade. Besides that, I hope some retail space is put in.
Today. More balconies have been installed and work continues to happen. I wonder if this project consists of the 6th and Locust and corner as not much work has been done there, but it has been moving slow. This project's name is now "Gallery 512" and according to construction workers on site, there will be retail space on the first floor. A ton of new windows still have to be installed.

6th and Locust...

Locust Balconies...

Broadway side...
Among some strong candidates, this has to be the most mutilated building in St. Louis.