1M Gallon, $45M Aquarium With Ferris Wheel Union Station

Downtown construction activity, including hotel projects, major renovations, office projects, streetscape improvements, etc.
I find the design uninspired. For those of us who went to the old 80's style mall in Union Station, it still looks too much like that eyesore, i.e. they didn't do a full gut rehab and it just looks like someone dropped a temporary looking acquatic exhibit into the middle of an abandoned 80's mall. Hopefully they will do more with this space to make it look more permanent and like it actually belongs there.
SouthCityJR wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:38 pm
I find the design uninspired. For those of us who went to the old 80's style mall in Union Station, it still looks too much like that eyesore, i.e. they didn't do a full gut rehab and it just looks like someone dropped a temporary looking acquatic exhibit into the middle of an abandoned 80's mall. Hopefully they will do more with this space to make it look more permanent and like it actually belongs there.
I understand your view, the lack of a gut rehab makes it seem like they're doing a cheap job, makes you wonder what other corners they'll cut. HOWEVER I actually have a huge problem with this stance. You shouldn't go through tearing things out and replacing them just because people will recognize them from the previous use of the space. I completely agree though that they need to make up for this in other ways, replace the flooring but leave the old railings, put in the highest quality finishes and lighting, etc. Honestly, I hope they actually leave the old lamps (although my guess is they're already gone). HOK actually did an amazing job with that mall. The design itself was probably one of the reasons it lasted as long as it did.
While it's nice that irrelevant mall space is being put to some use I can't help but be disappointed that every few decades we spend $$ trying to yet again reinvent a train station.
Will this aquarium design endure even 20 years as a destination? What next?
Union station was designed to be an impressive reception room for travelers and until we realize that authenticity ( with commuter trains that back out of the shed if they have to 🙀) we will continue to flail about expensively, one reimagination after another.

For those who only want to hear short term optimism, I offer up: 'This is exciting. So glad Saint Louis will finally have a real aquarium ! '
Imran, I couldn't agree with you more about how our world class (still architecturally) train station should be a train station.

However, I think I disagree with your pessimism about the longevity of the aquarium. I think that's a use to last, so long as they do it well. If it's set up like a cheap short-term exhibit, then you could be right. But I have a feeling that's not the plan for this.

I think about zoos in other cities. They can't touch the top zoos in the country like ours or San Diego, etc. But there are plenty of small zoos that have been around for a long time because it's still a unique attraction to their city and they're well maintained even if they aren't the biggest or the best.

Now the pessimistic optimist would say that's actually a bad thing because it essentially nullifies the possibility of it ever becoming a train station again.
Thought this was a big fail in regards to the Polar Express thing that they have. They spelled “Circle” wrong. ImageImage
chriss752 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:56 pm
Thought this was a big fail in regards to the Polar Express thing that they have. They spelled “Circle” wrong. ImageImage
That's how you spell it at the north poll?? :?
I thought it was the arcane Italian word 'ciricle' (chuh-ree-klay) which loosely means 'to go around in circles...' :wink: