Ballpark Village

Downtown construction activity, including hotel projects, major renovations, office projects, streetscape improvements, etc.
First unread post3035 posts
bwcrow1s wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:49 am
Wasn't aware anyone had a soft spot for it. Not a fan of it though.
more than a soft spot. it’s beautiful.
urban_dilettante wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:39 pm
bwcrow1s wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:49 am
Wasn't aware anyone had a soft spot for it. Not a fan of it though.
more than a soft spot. it’s beautiful.
I'm quite fond of Pet and the Stouffer. This is an area where we will have to disagree. I would be heartbroken if either was torn down. We've already lost too many good modernist structures. I'm just . . . tired of it.

Also, I'm deeply jealous of a friend who's gotten to watch the Fourth of July fireworks from Pet.
I usually hate brutalist architectur but I actually like PET.

As for Millenium/Stouffers I hope when they renovate it they take a page fro. The Plaza Square playbook and paint those orangish squares som really vibrant colors. There are sixteen windows so I'm imagining a color wheel of 16 shades that spirals as it ascends to the top of the tower. Also still on board with an addition over the fountain with gulp... street facing retail.

I'd consider demo if we were talking a really outstanding replacement but ev n then, there are.so many other places to build..
Getting back to BPV...

No clue if it's Phase II construction related, but there is fending blocking off parts of the parking lot, roughly in the footprints of where Phase II would be. Perhaps they're doing some ore-construction stuff?
I’ve heard from a few different sources, that there are multiple projects along Clark that MIGHT announce later this year. No single project scope was discussed, just that there are multiple projects. It was also mentioned that the developers responsible are all connected to the mission of creating a mixed-use entertainment corridor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That sounds like a good idea. I hope any plan proposed for Clark St. also involves the redevelopment of the garages. In my opinion, a mixed usd corridor along Clark could serve as the family friendly alternative to Washington Ave.
chaifetz10 wrote:Getting back to BPV...

No clue if it's Phase II construction related, but there is fending blocking off parts of the parking lot, roughly in the footprints of where Phase II would be. Perhaps they're doing some ore-construction stuff?
So they have fencing up on the Ballpark Village Property? That’s interesting. They could be taking ground samples.
addxb2 wrote:I’ve heard from a few different sources, that there are multiple projects along Clark that MIGHT announce later this year. No single project scope was discussed, just that there are multiple projects. It was also mentioned that the developers responsible are all connected to the mission of creating a mixed-use entertainment corridor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So they would add retail into the numerous structures on Clark from Tucker for example?
chriss752 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:28 pm
chaifetz10 wrote:Getting back to BPV...

So they have fencing up on the Ballpark Village Property? That’s interesting. They could be taking ground samples.

For Rock and Roll Marathon?
Could be honestly. I drove by at night and just saw all the fencing up.
Auger on site today at the tower location - I assume it is soil survey
beer city wrote:Auger on site today at the tower location - I assume it is soil survey
So does this mean we are going to have a groundbreaking sometime soon?
Not necessarily. Also, keep in mind that they will have a ground breaking when they deem it most marketable... it could be way before or way after actual construction begins.
Just drilling for oil.
bwcrow1s wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:06 pm
Just drilling for oil.
City didn't get the Cardinals playoff revenue bump this year so have to try something
I'm letting myself get excited for this. Really looks like it's gonna go down this time. BPV please don't break my heart again
GoHarvOrGoHome wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:31 pm
I'm letting myself get excited for this. Really looks like it's gonna go down this time. BPV please don't break my heart again
Looks like it's really going to happen this time. Maybe even some turned dirt by the end of the year. One of the best possible outcomes might actually be some new downtown office workers. Still one of St. Louis's biggest problems, in my opinion (besides, ya know, the widespread racism, although not unrelated).
Curious is the grocery store now out of phase 2?
St.Louis1764 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:23 pm
Curious is the grocery store now out of phase 2?
Still part of it according to the renderings.
From tomorrow’s STL Today.

Oddly the tower has been pushed back to 2020

Also stated in the article...
- PwC has signed a letter of intent to move in
- One Life Fitness will take up a large majority of the second floor of the small retail building
- Wahlburger would like to move in as well.
Did some snooping around on the Post Dispatch Website, here are the colorized versions of the above Renderings.

And then there is this cool looking view, looking South on Broadway. It gives the tower a very cool and urban look. Also makes it look taller and gives a perspective on just how tall it will be.

And I wrote about it just because I find it significant. It also cuts out all of the tax arguments from the STLToday article. http://www.buildingstlnews.com/the-blo ... rk-village
is it planned to start in 2020 or planned to be finished in 2020???
Chalupas54 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:52 am
is it planned to start in 2020 or planned to be finished in 2020???
Edit: Article says wrapped up by 2020.

"“It would be worse if we didn’t have the new (office) space because the tenants are looking for newer space and so there is a significant need to be able to retain the businesses that we have, otherwise we will continue to just lose,” Williams said. “I do think there’s value in having new product to be able to retain some of the businesses that are currently downtown. But it also offers us the opportunity to attract new business, which will happen.”

This is truly frustrating. I can think of so many up and coming companies that chose Clayton (even from the older, mid century building stock) over Downtown and are thriving, growing, and adding jobs. How is our downtown leadership utterly failing to court regional entities? What do they do all day? Speaking specifically of DSI.
Completion in 2020

The developers say construction on the 297-unit apartment building and 10-story, 117,000-square-foot office building, as well as the connected hotel, should begin in December. Parking garages in the structure will add almost 1,000 spaces.

The smaller retail building, with about 40,000 square feet, should start work in April but be completed first, in the summer of 2019. The office should finish up around that time, and the Loews hotel in the fall of 2019. The apartment tower will take longest, wrapping up in the spring of 2020.

“There won’t be a building like it in terms of the amenities, in terms of the quality certainly in terms of the location,” Cordish principal Blake Cordish told investors in a bond presentation, describing views into either Busch Stadium or overlooking the redone Arch grounds.

Williams said the apartment building will be a different product for downtown that will draw higher-income people downtown. Missy Kelly, president and CEO of Downtown STL Inc., has heard, too, that the apartments will be some of the nicest in the region.

“My understanding is the apartment building is going to be a level of luxury we don’t currently have downtown,” she said.

Cordish intends to aggressively market it.

“We’re going to come into the market with a product that’s substantially nicer than the rest of the product in the market and a location we think is better, and we’re going to be, you know, 50 cents a square foot lower than the top of the market in Clayton and the Central West End,” Nick Benjamin, Cordish’s vice president of development, told bond analysts.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... DBFD838DDD