Cupples X Office Building

Downtown construction activity, including hotel projects, major renovations, office projects, streetscape improvements, etc.
So this either gets approved or not? I'm going to go out on a limb and say this does get built however instead of Asynchrony possibly occupying the new building maybe Microsoft or a new company completely not in the St.Louis region the same with BPV 2.. Does anyone think that the requested tax abatement puts this development on a pedestal?
St.Louis1764 wrote:
So this either gets approved or not? I'm going to go out on a limb and say this does get built however instead of Asynchrony possibly occupying the new building maybe Microsoft or a new company completely not in the St.Louis region the same with BPV 2.. Does anyone think that the requested tax abatement puts this development on a pedestal?

Thus far, they have not asked for an abatement. They have requested a TIF well above the normal 15% maximum allowed by the City. Thus the 3 straight continuences. Koman is likely looking for a more ironclad tenant while also playing a game of "who blinks first?" with SLDC and the TIF Commission.
andrewarkills wrote:
St.Louis1764 wrote:

Thus far, they have not asked for an abatement. They have requested a TIF well above the normal 15% maximum allowed by the City. Thus the 3 straight continuences. Koman is likely looking for a more ironclad tenant while also playing a game of "who blinks first?" with SLDC and the TIF Commission.

Thats what i meant TIF
Two different public financing mechanisms. But I get what you're saying.

The large TIF request certainly makes it unique. With the increased scrutiny on these types of incentives, also much more difficult to justify. Especially given who the potential tenant was/is and the fact they would largely be moving from another Koman development literally across the street.
^ yeah, there's been the mention of them considering keeping the Cupples 9 headcount and filling Cupples X with additional employees; that would be a much better proposition, but should be a commitment as part of the approval process.
I wonder if it has been redesigned in anyway to add some retail space and other things to it. Possibly a full redesign to compete with the BPV 2 Office Building. But if it does move forward in its current design, I think it will be a great addition to 8th Street. And then hopefully this development helps push interest into the lots South of Interstate 64.
Seems like this could be a good landing spot for Square. The Business Journal article says they are considering downtown. This building would allow them to customize the space, though there are several other sites they may be interested in as well (including another Koman site).

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news ... ffice.html
I thought this project was cancelled
Never officially, last I remember they pulled back their request for incentives before they could be denied. Having a tenant who wants to expand (potentially in Square) rather than pulling a pre-existing downtown tenant could be a huge boon to this project if it goes this route.
I think it is interesting how Koman with their Cupples move a couple years ago and purchase last year of property within CORTEX have quietly positioned themselves with two great properties if not the two of the better properties for new office, class A space within the city. I would only assume with their track record that it is a matter of time that something happens with one of those locations.