St. Louis Transit Photos

Showcase the beauty and grit of St. Louis in pictures.
imran wrote:
My guess about the first photo is Olive with the streetcar heading east. The only recognizable landmark for me is the tiny spire in the distance which I believe is St Francis Xavier church at Grand.

Good call. I just took the time to figure it out, with your help. It's the corner of 21st & Olive looking west - northwest. Thanks.

^You can see the Delmar Gardens Roller Coaster in the background of this one, which I posted a picture of in the previous post.
Another St. Louis transit station that is better today, than it's ever been - Big Bend:
Then:
Now:
hebeters posted a few shots of this station last year. This one just reminds me again of what an awful station design it was before Cross County was built. Over time a lot of little alterations and additions to stations (i.e. the new crosswalk @ Brentwood I64, the shelters @ North Hanley & Fifth & Missouri, the redesign/update of the Grand Station, the Arts in Transit program) have significantly improved the passenger experience.

A few other old Metrolink shots:
^Westbound Wellston (old livery + no livery)
^Westbound N. Hanley (old livery + new livery)

Some Illinois Terminal Railroad shots:

Two randos:
Corner of macklind and Devonshire in Southampton.

Another random selection. Some more transit related than others.

[Image

I love the name of this bank. That design - which I remember as the old Commerce Bank Building - was great.

Here are a few modern day transit photos:

The new Civic Center Bus Station:
Metrolink from Jefferson:
73 on Cherokee:
^Nicely done stlexplorer. I particularly like the last one at Cherokee and Jefferson.
^^Great pics. Love that city.

I confess, it is making me happy every time I drive down Delmar. First, traffic is slower and more sane. Second . . . wires! And rails! :) Can't wait until they get the cars out and going.
symphonicpoet wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:40 am
I confess, it is making me happy every time I drive down Delmar. First, traffic is slower and more sane. Second . . . wires! And rails! :) Can't wait until they get the cars out and going.
I'm honestly expecting some traffic accidents once the Trolley starts running... (and this isn't a diss on the Trolley, people just drive like maniacs). The sheet quantity of people who think the separated trolley tracks are a private driving lane and/or who run red lights in the area make me certain that there will be some fender benders at the very least.
wabash wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:38 pm

Wabashdo you know what intersection that is in the second picture?
^That's the intersection of Jefferson & Broadway. Jefferson on the left, Broadway on the right, looking North and slightly east.
Another - albeit all too rare - example of St. Louis mass/public transit infrastructure being vastly improved today over what it was in the past:

wabash wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:44 am
^That's the intersection of Jefferson & Broadway. Jefferson on the left, Broadway on the right, looking North and slightly east.
Wow I drive by there every few weeks and that was totally unrecognizable. Thanks for sharing!
RuskiSTL wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:32 pm
wabash wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:44 am
Wow I drive by there every few weeks and that was totally unrecognizable. Thanks for sharing!
Just insane how much that area has changed.

Would be great to get something back in the middle there :( https://i.imgur.com/jmCnv9c.jpg
From a Metrolink timetable published sometime between 1998 and 2001:
^The drawings of the airport and Kiel almost make me think it's earlier than that. The airport appears to show the "east terminal" when it was just the far end of D before the new building, which came in 1998. The Kiel drawing appears to show the old auditorium and not the current hockey arena, in spite of the text. That could mean the drawing dates to a time when the new building was in the works, but maybe the design wasn't finalized, or at least not yet deeply familiar. "New Kiel" opened in 1994 and Metrolink itself in 1993. Could this perhaps be from nearly the beginning of operations? On the other hand, supposedly the Airport East stop, shown on the map, dates to 1998, so maybe that's right and the art is just . . . that weird. It really is weird, either way. Weird and fun. Of course, the drawing also shows a stylized 747 snuggled up to the B concourse, so there is that. And the drawing of the football stadium is sort of a lark. Though it was quite decidedly the TWA dome by 1998. So there's that too. Interesting.
^The stadium drawing wasn't a lark; that was an early conceptual design. I guess you could call it Post Modern Deco:

Found this one on Facebook. Famous Barr Southtown under construction, with a trolley cruising past:

Took the train to Kansas City over the weekend and didn't realize it was being pulled by one of the new Siemens Chargers until we arrived. OK, so this pic was taken in KC. This locomotive was in St. Louis earlier, I swear.

^ hubba bubba!