SP's Current Photography

Showcase the beauty and grit of St. Louis in pictures.
I'm curious what this is? Is it simply art, or does it serve some function?

framer wrote: I'm curious what this is? Is it simply art, or does it serve some function?

Excellent question! An acquaintance of mine, Steph Berg clued me in on them some months back. (Immediately before I took the picture, in fact. Which is probably why I took it.) It's a bee house intended for a variety of small wild bee called the Mason bee. You can buy them at your favorite internet retailer or (hopefully) your more hip and with it local retailer. Mason bees have some significant advantages. They're not susceptible to varroa mites, and I believe they're also not suffering from the colony collapse phenomenon. If nothing else, they certainly help to increase the diversity of urban bees, which is good. Commercial beekeeping has, apparently, been a little too much of a single cultivar kind of operation, and there's a lot of amateurs in it now that don't treat, so herd immunity is . . . gone. Mason bees help with that.

Anyway . . . it serves a function, though it was apparently unoccupied at the time. (And I saw no sign describing it, which surprises me.)
I don't know that this is exactly the right place to put it, but it's local (cinema)tography. And it's mine. So . . . yeah. My thread. My (moving) pictures. Heck, quite a few of the pictures are my stinking house. Which is a decent enough example of the local vernacular, I think. (And there are a few landmarks in the thing.) A word of warning first: this is classical music, since that's what I do. (I bill myself a composer, poet, and roustabout. Thus the "symphonicpoet" moniker.) You have been warned. It's my "classical" music, but that's the bin I belong in. (There's no place like home.)

(And either way, I'm curious what you think of my new hobby. I've always liked photography and I've worked in theatre for a long stinking time. But cell phone cinematography is a new thing. Hopefully well lit, composed, and edited cell phone movie making, but . . . it was a cell phone. Seriously. Honest to god. Top to bottom. Only recording device used. Only one owned in the Empty Pocket Studios.)

I give you "Slate Grey Skies" by D. . . . or, um, symphonicpoet.

Nice. Definitely captures the gloomy day vibe.
Again, thank you. It was a lot of work, but it was also quite a bit of fun. It's always pleasant to make something you feel is pretty. And I do like grey days. :)
A few more additions:

I keep trying to make a new version of this one, to correct some of the flaws, but no matter how much I try, I still like the original better. The rain just hasn't worked out the same way since, lighting wise.

Not quite the same without the rain

Rock Church - St. Alphonsus Liguori

The Fabulous Fox

Pope St. Pius V

The Tivoli

Pin Up Bowl

The Cemetery Gate at Tower Grove

The fork in the road a little ways from there. (Little bit of trivia for you: Trivium means three roads. Goddesses at crossroads had a tricksy habit of asking hard questions.)
And I suppose I might as well toss in a couple of videos . . .

Here's a piece called "Something Jazzy." Very short. One minute. Lots of neon signs.

And this is a poem called "Walking." Also short. Tower Grove shots. Music free.
symphonicpoet wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:48 am

I keep trying to make a new version of this one, to correct some of the flaws, but no matter how much I try, I still like the original better. The rain just hasn't worked out the same way since, lighting wise.
framer wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:09 pm

Yeah, that's what I want. But on the first night I didn't have an umbrella, so I'd have just gotten my camera soaked. Even that cruddy through the windshield shot is still the best I can do. But I'll keep trying. That is a classic view. And it looks almost as good now as ever. They need to put some good signage on the Angad. Something bright and flashy that would have been thought of as tasteless back in the day. Some showbiz.

Anyway . . . my wife is doing the SLU business thing at the moment, so I'm up there most nights again. More shots of the neighborhood will doubtless follow. (Always liked it up there anyway.)
A few from the recent trip to New Jersey. (Don't worry. I'm only posting the St. Louis pictures here . . . )

Started my journey on the No. 70 bus, but ended up on Metrolink soon enough.

And I got to Terminal 2 more than a little on the early side. (On purpose. Just so I could take pictures.)

My return brought me back to E-38. I should have been seeing TWA red. Oh well. That moving walkway? It serves a purpose. Not just there for my entertainment. Also for the folks that had to connect to PHI at E-29. (Yes. WN was using E-29. Seriously. They're using every gate over there at least periodically. I much suspect they could really use more.)