East St. Louis - Spivey Building Won't Come Down!

Discuss new retail, dining, business and residential projects in Southwestern Illinois, including East St. Louis, Belleville, O'Fallon and Edwardsville.
Godspeed.
framer wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:29 pm
Godspeed.
Thanks. We'll need it after today's early Conference Call. What a mess that was but it is all about assuring the City that we have the funds to carry this out.
What happened?

And I understand their position though... they don’t want to transfer the building to anyone if the plans aren’t 100% obtainable and if it’s going to take any more time. The buildings been empty and deteriorating for literally centuries and now poses a hazard. While we all want to see it saved, they don’t want to deal with a total collapse or potential injury. Hopefully you can convince them quickly before a demo permit is issued.
chaifetz10 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:30 pm
What happened?

And I understand their position though... they don’t want to transfer the building to anyone if the plans aren’t 100% obtainable and if it’s going to take any more time. The buildings been empty and deteriorating for literally centuries and now poses a hazard. While we all want to see it saved, they don’t want to deal with a total collapse or potential injury. Hopefully you can convince them quickly before a demo permit is issued.
City Manager Daffney Moore wigged out about the idea of the building and the city being saved. She would ask us a question like, "What are your plans" and we would start explaining and a minute later she would say "SHHHH! LET ME SPEAK! IF YOU WANT TO MAKE A SCENE AND FUSS, I'LL MAKE A SCENE AND FUSS BECAUSE I KNOW HOW TO". So we would be quiet and she would complain that we aren't smart enough and have no money. Scottie explained that we have well over $5 Million to start and handle the building immediately and she refused to believe until an ally of ours, and "treasurer" in many ways told her. She then hung up. Around 7, we received a apologetic phone call from her Assistant and the request hat we attend a one on one meeting with Ms. Moore, Mayor Hicks and the Planning Commission at the next big meeting.

Basically, she wasn't to open to the idea of helping their city out and especially didn't want to be on the phone with three guys of different backgrounds all talking about the same thing. She was assured that we have funds, a plan and we that we are willing to take a risk. I think we'll be ok now but man was that rough. As far as a demo permit goes, we got their attention enough to pause demolition. We're buying time in many ways.
chaifetz10 wrote:
What happened?

A few minor quibbles. The Spivey building wasn't built until 1927 so it hasn't even existed for a century yet. It wasn't abandoned until sometime in the 1980s, so it's only been sitting vacant about the same amount of time I've been alive (30 or so years). Honestly, I find it somewhat hard to believe that this building can be saved, especially after the conversation with East STL officials detailed here. Having said that, I am hoping Chris and his team can work a miracle! Saving this and bringing some semblance of life back to Downtown East St. Louis would be huge for not just the Metro East, but the entire region.
The Mayor wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:40 pm
chaifetz10 wrote:
What happened?

A few minor quibbles. The Spivey building wasn't built until 1927 so it hasn't even existed for a century yet. It wasn't abandoned until sometime in the 1980s, so it's only been sitting vacant about the same amount of time I've been alive (30 or so years). Honestly, I find it somewhat hard to believe that this building can be saved, especially after the conversation with East STL officials detailed here. Having said that, I am hoping Chris and his team can work a miracle! Saving this and bringing some semblance of life back to Downtown East St. Louis would be huge for not just the Metro East, but the entire region.
Yeah meant to type decades and had a brain fart. I was thinking back to how it's been abandoned since the 80's.