BJC to Builds $30mil Data Center in O'fallon, MO

Discuss new retail, dining, business and residential projects within St. Charles County, including St. Charles, O'Fallon, St. Peters, Wentzville and more.
Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 2:13 PM CST

Clayco, Legacy to build $30M data center, offices for BJC

Clayco Inc. and its joint-venture partner, Legacy Building Group, landed a contract to build a $30 million data center and medical office building for BJC HealthCare and Progress West HealthCare Center in O’Fallon, Mo.

Clayco and Legacy will construct a 40,000-square-foot data center for BJC and a 60,000-square-foot medical office building for Progress West.

Clayco will oversee both projects and will manage data center construction, while Legacy will manage construction of the medical office building.

Progress West agreed to provide three of its 48 acres for the data center.

The medical office building is part of a larger plan to bring more primary care and specialty physicians to the southern part of St. Charles County.

Construction is slated to begin in February with an anticipated completion date of early 2010.

continue reading here

I'm sure there's a legitimate need for doctors offices in O'Fallon, but it's a shame BJC didn't build the data center in CORTEX.

Framer wrote:
I'm sure there's a legitimate need for doctors offices in O'Fallon, but it's a shame BJC didn't build the data center in CORTEX.

That's what I was thinking when I read this. I'm sure the medical office component of the project makes sense, but I wish the data center would've been built on or near the Barnes-Jewish/WUSTL School of Medicine campus.

^Although, having a contingent data center outside of the campus could actually be a strategic move. Say BJC/WUMed gets a major grant from a government organization working on some high-level stuff, from chem/bio defensive measures to human genome / embryonic stem cell research. By having an off-campus backup system, this could provide for an increased level of redundant data securities. Look at Wall Street having all their redundant systems set up in Jersey City after the original WTC attacks in 1993.

Who knows, this being in O'Fallon may actually draw in more government grants & investment to the CORTeX center.

Hmm, I wonder if that means some IS personnel will be moved out there as well. That would suck. If I had a job on Kingshighway in the city and got moved to O'Fallon, I think I'd be sending my resume out unless it was a really good job or I had a lot of tenure. Sure, some companies don't have their IS staff working in the same building as the DC, but a lot of companies do. My company has their data center in the lower level of our building, and all of the IS personnel on the 3rd floor.

Cranes in place and Walls going up now.