Develpment at Manchester At I-270 -- The Old Quarry

Discuss new retail, dining, business and residential projects within St. Louis County, including Chesterfield, Riverport, Earth City, Westport and more.
Kirwood Times is reporting:
"A potential behemoth mixed-use development at the 27-acre quarry site at Manchester Road and Interstate 270 could cause a myriad of problems for Des Peres, city officials said.
The proposed development currently calls for:
* 30,000 square feet of retail and restaurant in three buildings
* 316,000 square feet of multiple family use in four buildings of three or four stories
* 66,000 square feet of office use in a two-story building
* 2,300 square foot bank
* A seven-story hotel"

http://www.websterkirkwoodtimes.com/Articles-Features-i-2012-05-18-180420.114137-Retail-Restaurants-Hotel-and-Office-Target-Manchester-At-I270-Area.html
I live not far from this area and I see the signs every day I drive past. I am for this development! I think it would be great for the area.
We live just a few blocks down the street... would love to see this get turned into something useful such as what was reported above. We need more good shopping!
tj314 wrote:
We live just a few blocks down the street... would love to see this get turned into something useful such as what was reported above. We need more good shopping!

I agree. Des Peres' mayor should stop whining and help make it happen. Too much money is leaving St. Louis County for St. Charles. Then on top of that, it is an abandoned quarry. What else is it good for? Sell the need for road expansion to those who are concerned.

If you want commerce in your community and people paying taxes - you need roads.

If the plan is viable and doesn't lean or rely too heavily on taxpayers....make it happen.
I agree. There are no hotels anywhere close to Manchester and I-270, in spite of several large businesses including Edward Jones, Scottrade, and AT&T. People walk into the Des Peres city recreation center thinking it is a hotel.
I mean not to beat a dead horse here, but you know an area that has all the amenities listed and more that this area lacks?

I have always thought it is completely absurd that Ed Jones and Scottrade are not located downtown. YOU ARE FINANCIAL FIRMS. No adult wants to go to work at West County Mall. Act like real companies!

Maybe the reason the metro area as a whole lacks other comparable metros in college degree toting adults is that good adult employees with college degrees don't want to work surrounded by strip malls. People will go where the jobs are, especially in hard economic times, but you know the areas with the "best" workforce pools? All built up urban areas. When are our companies going to realize that they will ALL BENEFIT from locating and establishing a REAL vibrant urban area downtown? It is ridiculous. This small time sh*t needs to end.

Rant over.
I guess you could call this proposed project a "refill". LOL!

Filled-in quarry could become high-end apartments, retail shops and more
Posted 08/13/12 3:16 pm / no comments

By MOLLY JAMES

FoxTower, a St. Louis commercial real estate partnership of TriStar Properties, is seeking approval to allow development of the unincorporated 26-acre site located near the border of Town & Country and Des Peres. The project site, a recently filled quarry now aptly named The Quarry at Des Peres, would potentially include retail and housing development with an emphasis on apartment-style living.

Forty percent of the land would be dedicated to residential high-end apartments that would be comparable to The Boulevard in Brentwood across from the Galleria. The Quarry apartments would be designed to serve young professionals who work in the nearby office buildings.

Additional land space would be dedicated to restaurants and small neighborhood retail shops.

A hotel could potentially be built and would be positioned on the east side of the property near the office spaces.

The land is centrally located within West County and has easy access to retailers in the area including Nordstrom, Macy’s, Barnes & Noble and JCPenney as well as major employers like the headquarters for Edward Jones, Scottrade and Charter Communications.

Jessica Hardecke, senior communications manager for Charter Communications, said the development would be good for business.

“The apartments at The Quarry will bring more residents to the area, which is good timing for us,” said Hardecke. “Charter is currently in a growth mode, and we are always looking for qualified candidates to join our team.”

Mike Towerman, principle of FoxTower, agreed.

“This is going to produce a substantial number of jobs in the short term with construction opportunities and later on with permanent positions,” he said.

The project has not yet been finalized, but the St. Louis County Planning Commission recommended that the County Council approve a rezoning request that would add mixed zoning instead of commercial to the site. The property is currently zoned for extensive commercial use.

The final decision is scheduled for October after the County Council introduces the ordinance and holds a final vote. City officials in neighboring municipalities have expressed concern over issues of traffic flow and fire and EMS services in the unincorporated area.

“Our number one concern would be the disruption of the traffic for commuters in the morning and evening,” said Doug Harms, city administrator of Des Peres. “We have concerns that the traffic at the intersection of Des Peres and Manchester roads could create backup (after) we spent two decades to solve this issue.”

When asked about his concerns, John Copeland, city administrator for Town & Country, mentioned that the development is not within a fire district or a city with a fire district. One possible way to stave off this concern would be through annexation.

The annexation process begins with a map plan – sent to the County Boundary Commission once every five years before the July 1 deadline. Only properties on a city’s approved annexation map may be included in its annexation requests within that five-year time frame.

The next annexation proposal period begins April 15, 2013.

“The Quarry is included in the map plan for annexation we submitted,” Copeland said, meaning the property could be considered for annexation by Town & Country. However, the process is not an easy one.

They are finally working like crazy on the property at the Quarry in St. Louis County land at I-270 and Manchester. I presume they are implementing something like the old plan, with spaces for restaurants, offices, and a hotel. Here is a photo.

ImageUntitled by Gary Kreie, on Flickr
^ kind of forgot about that one... this also reminds me that I recently saw a piece about how Olivette has an RFP out for redeveloping a good sized area at the SW corner of 170 and Olive including where that Office Max is.
^ Yup, Olivette has the RFP on their homepage. (pdf)
I believe this is what is currently under construction as per PD building blocks article back in September. Not much detail

A luxury apartment complex is being built in West County on an 11-acre tract northwest of I-270 and Manchester Road.

The Residences at Sunset Ridge is a $49 million joint venture between TriStar Properties and Propper Construction Services. The 254-unit apartment complex is part of a planned $100 million mixed use development featuring a hotel, office and assisted living facility.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/column ... 7f887.html
Here is a link to a September article on this development. Looks like assisted living and apartments at first. Later they plan retail and Class A office space, and a hotel.

http://www.cdcco.com/press-release/rangeline-companies-acquires-former-des-peres-quarry-plans-mixed-use-development/

The hotel company (Midas) mentioned has a number of hotels around the Midwest -- mostly Hampton Inn level. There is a dearth of hotels in the Manchester Road and I-270 area. I guess the ones along I-44 are closest. I would rather see a Marriott or something slightly more upscale than a Hampton Inn at that location right next to Town & Country.
gary kreie wrote:
The hotel company (Midas) mentioned has a number of hotels around the Midwest -- mostly Hampton Inn level. There is a dearth of hotels in the Manchester Road and I-270 area. I guess the ones along I-44 are closest. I would rather see a Marriott or something slightly more upscale than a Hampton Inn at that location right next to Town & Country.

Youre right there is a shortage. I don't think there's any shame in a Hampton Inn. I know something in that price area would be good for family of patients at MoBap and Mercy. I have family and friends who currently work/have worked at those hospitals and talked about the challenges for patient families having to stay 15 to 20 minutes away.
dweebe wrote:
gary kreie wrote:

Youre right there is a shortage. I don't think there's any shame in a Hampton Inn. I know something in that price area would be good for family of patients at MoBap and Mercy. I have family and friends who currently work/have worked at those hospitals and talked about the challenges for patient families having to stay 15 to 20 minutes away.

Good Point. I love Hampton Inns. I was just thinking of something like the Embassy Suites in St. Charles (which are also good for families because they have 2 rooms, 2 TVs, and free breakfast). A bigger hotel would have ballrooms and a restaurant.
A couple of more pictures about the Apartment Complex Alinea at Manchester and Des Peres road near I-270. First units available for move-in next month.

ImageAlinea Apartments by Gary Kreie, on Flickr
That did go up at a good pace...I havent been bu in a few months and didnt notice it last time I was nearby.
Here is a new sign showing the office building that is going up at the Quarry. Where have I seen this building before? I'll alert the historic preservation, circa 2116, so they will work to save this masterpiece.
ImageOffice Building planned for Quarry Des Peres 2016 by Gary Kreie, on Flickr
And the full sign.
ImageOffice Building at Des Peres Quarry Sign by Gary Kreie, on Flickr

And some of the apartments are already occupied while they finish building the rest.
ImageAppartments at the Quarry Manchester & I-270 by Gary Kreie, on Flickr

Here is Memory Center that has been open for a few months.
ImageAssisted Living Center I-270 and Manchester by Gary Kreie, on Flickr

A Courtyard by Marriott is also on the way at this site.
Where have you seen that building before?

7930 Clayton Rd., behind Tropicana. Although that building (built in 1982) is the much cooler twin, since it at least has some quirky angles.
Looks like the buildings in the adjacent office park. YUK

They are starting work on the Hotel at the Quarry at I270 and Manchester.

ImageI270 at Manchester Hotel Plannned by Gary Kreie, on Flickr
Steel is going up at the Quarry at I270 and Manchester for the Office Building.

ImageSign for Office Bldg I270 and Manchester by Gary Kreie, on Flickr

ImageOffice Building going up at I270 and Manchester Quarry by Gary Kreie, on Flickr