Hi End Outlet Mall Coming to Chesterfield Valley

Discuss new retail, dining, business and residential projects within St. Louis County, including Chesterfield, Riverport, Earth City, Westport and more.
zink

Re: Hi End Outlet Mall Coming to Chesterfield Valley

Unread post by zink » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:46 am

We went this weekend as well on Saturday. There was a CLEAR difference in people. Premium was completly packed while Prestige was borderline DEAD.

We did get lost trying to go to Premium... And yes Premium is just an overall 100% better experience assuming you can find parking.

roger wyoming II
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by roger wyoming II » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:50 am

^ which is which again?
@STLRainbow

rbb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Unread post by rbb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:16 am

Taubman Prestige is the one next to the Ice Complex. Premium is the one by the Boone bridge.

-RBB

jstriebel
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

Unread post by jstriebel » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:21 am

In addition to maybe finding cheaper close if the stores are truly outlets, isn't the primary reason to shop at outlet malls like these to have a walkable shopping experience?

It just boggles my mind that people drive up to, I dunno, 50 miles, to have this experience in the middle of nothing else that's walkable.

Why couldn't a development like this be built in the city? It wouldn't be from scratch, it would involve retro fitting current buildings. But why not the conglomeration of retail? Mixed in would be restaurants and entertainment that already exists. And you'd have a truly walkable and urban shopping experience.

Some would still have to drive to it, others who live close enough or near public transit could avoid that part.

It's too late now. Not for any retail, but for retail that would compete with this. But it just seems weird to me that this concept hasn't been further explored in the city. An indoor mall in the city failed, obviously. But this outdoor and walkable set up is exactly the sort of thing that could succeed.

inTheGrove

Unread post by inTheGrove » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:23 pm

I don't feel it could work in the city, the people that travel for the outlets are looking for "nice" shops with out having to deal with a major city atmosphere. They like the spread out style....They drove many miles to get there and I am sure they plan to drive from place to place where ever they go, I don't think walking distance is a concern,

dweebe
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by dweebe » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:48 pm

jstriebel wrote:In addition to maybe finding cheaper close if the stores are truly outlets, isn't the primary reason to shop at outlet malls like these to have a walkable shopping experience?

It just boggles my mind that people drive up to, I dunno, 50 miles, to have this experience in the middle of nothing else that's walkable.

Why couldn't a development like this be built in the city? It wouldn't be from scratch, it would involve retro fitting current buildings. But why not the conglomeration of retail? Mixed in would be restaurants and entertainment that already exists. And you'd have a truly walkable and urban shopping experience.

Some would still have to drive to it, others who live close enough or near public transit could avoid that part.

It's too late now. Not for any retail, but for retail that would compete with this. But it just seems weird to me that this concept hasn't been further explored in the city. An indoor mall in the city failed, obviously. But this outdoor and walkable set up is exactly the sort of thing that could succeed.

Outlet malls typically aren't built in urban areas. They used to only be in rural areas between major cities along interstates: the move to the suburbs is a recent change to the market. It somewhat corresponds to the death of the "regular" shopping mall.

The only outlet mall I know in a "semi-urban" area is one of the Premium outlets in Orlando. (It's in a Maplewood/Richmond Heights type area.)

I like your thinking out of the box. Maybe that's where major outlet mall developers will move in 10 or 20 years.
Uppity Doopity Dop

roger wyoming II
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by roger wyoming II » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:57 pm

^ I suppose in theory outlet malls could be radically re-designed, but at present they aren't good candidates for meeting good urban design. The traffic generation/parking needs would ensure that it would have to be a new development with a large footprint. I can't even envision where such a place could be located presently. If we did have a large, potential site I think a better option for such land would be designing a mixed-use TOD. Such a place could certainly have a nice retail mix, but I would suspect that outlet stores would not be the prime candidate.
@STLRainbow

MarkHaversham
Expert Member
Expert Member

Unread post by MarkHaversham » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:26 pm

I would imagine the point of outlets is to sell discounted goods cheaply in cheap rural areas. If retail space in the city is cheap enough to support outlet stores en masse, that sounds like a bad sign for said city.

Chalupas54

Unread post by Chalupas54 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:03 pm

roger wyoming II wrote:^ Hitting the outlet malls while in town? Your young urbanist streed cred is taking a hit! (Just kiddin!)

Hahaha! I needed new polos! Armani however is NOT an outlet. THERE WAS A 17K suit in there..I felt like I had to pay to breath.

roger wyoming II
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by roger wyoming II » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:31 am

Taubman Prestige foot traffic already down and a concern... the Collective already has pulled out:
http://www.stltoday.com/business/column ... 011c3.html

And KMOV had a report about car break-ins and shoplifting at both malls:
http://www.kmov.com/news/local/Chesterf ... 79501.html
@STLRainbow

Anglophile

Unread post by Anglophile » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:21 pm

Was that second Collective location open for like a week? Jeez. But really--who could've predicted this? You open two very similar shopping centers within a few miles of each other and one of them starts struggling? Utterly shocking!

innov8ion
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by innov8ion » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:05 am

Anglophile wrote:Was that second Collective location open for like a week? Jeez. But really--who could've predicted this? You open two very similar shopping centers within a few miles of each other and one of them starts struggling? Utterly shocking!

It's the same strategy of opening multiple car dealerships near each other. By creating a cluster, the idea is that you make it a destination for outlet shoppers and increase demand for both.

We'll see how they perform in time but, honestly, rampant consumerism makes me a little sick.

arch city
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Unread post by arch city » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:12 pm

Also......these malls opened during the back-to-school season. They haven't had a whole summer of operation yet. Then I'm sure the early Winter season has been problematic for Taubman.

I could be wrong, but my guess is that the summer travel and tourism season will be a boon to these malls.

Simon's St. Louis Premium will be okay. Plus, the Chesterfield Blue Valley project will be developed right next to it.

Taubman, on the other hand, will need to get more attractions and out parcel development around it to drive more traffic.

Further, I'm not surprised by the occasional car break in or thefts. It comes with the territory. It's good to see Chesterfield addressing it with more officers.

And last, personally I thought The Collective would be creating a problem for itself. Many of the boutiques it showcases clothing for are already in Mid and West County.
Visit St. Louis' first urban topics forum started by me: stlouisrising.yuku.com

justme123

Unread post by justme123 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:32 pm

It will surprise no one that the "...the new outlet mall(s) will not affect Chesterfield Mall...." notion was totally false. Quite a few stories have closed in the Mall recently. A friend of mine said "...it reminds me of Jamestown..." Now *there's* an insult.

It will be interesting to see how the city of Chesterfield handles (or doesn't handle) this in the next year or so, considering the outlet malls are IN the city itself. We've seen municipalities cannibalizing other munis, but rarely something like this, that I recall.

Ebsy

Unread post by Ebsy » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:37 pm

I don't see myself shopping there after their Mayor floated leaving St. Louis County for St. Charles. He can "try to make ends meet" without my sales tax dollars.

rbeedee

Unread post by rbeedee » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:18 pm

Chesterfield Mall owner mulls options at struggling property

"Well that was unpredictable!" said no one. In a few more years it will be time for another subsidized redevelopment of a failing mall in the region!

dredger
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by dredger » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:01 pm

rbeedee wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:18 pm
Chesterfield Mall owner mulls options at struggling property

"Well that was unpredictable!" said no one. In a few more years it will be time for another subsidized redevelopment of a failing mall in the region!

Behind pay wall but another article the reality of way too much built retail within a changing retail market

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news ... attle.html

STLEnginerd

Unread post by STLEnginerd » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:48 pm

^ "It's called the free market, and unlike a forced earnings tax, it actually works" - Chesterfield Councilman Tom DeCampi
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein