Hadley Township Development - Richmond Heights

Discuss new retail, dining, business and residential projects within St. Louis County, including Chesterfield, Riverport, Earth City, Westport and more.
First unread post235 posts
I have a little hope for the Metrolink stations in this area. It is obvious that the only cities in the mid-county area that are going to embrace TOD or denser redevelopment are Clayton and U-City. Pretty sad and it will be 30 years before anything replaces this. Walmart is right down the road....why do we need a Costco?
^ And so is Sam's Club!
^ And a Menards would join Lowes and Home Depot.
goat314 wrote:
I have a little hope for the Metrolink stations in this area. It is obvious that the only cities in the mid-county area that are going to embrace TOD or denser redevelopment are Clayton and U-City. Pretty sad and it will be 30 years before anything replaces this. Walmart is right down the road....why do we need a Costco?

The only long term outlook that might do more good then harm is that a rehash/redevelopment of failed Home Deport site would be better suited as a mixed use/more transit oriended development or at least something along the lines of the Hanley Station especially if Hadley Township turns into another super box store location for Maplewood. Throw in the same for Dierberts plaza on the other side and Brentwood might see a more sustainable solution then trying to compete big box store to box store. In other words, I see Home Depot a big loser on this and the first big vacant building coming to the area - think Deer Creek Plaza (not counting the space that has never been filled next to Officemax near Dierbergs). However, just pure speculation on my part as I have neither the sales figures for Home Depot or Lowe's. Can't imagine how the area could possible support all three home improvement stores.

As far as Costco, it will have its own clientelle. Not sure if Sam's loses out a whole lot as the Maplewood/Kirkwood locations split the loss of those who do go over to Costco
Menards in RH, Lowes in Maplewood, Home Depot in Brentwood. Did the Home Depot receive a TIF? Fragmentation leads to damage again. MapleBrentRich Heightswood would have 25K people. They lost 11.5% 2000-10. How much is that due to taking houses for these redevelopments? They should be one. Can you tell much difference as it is?

Stltoday - Richmond Heights picks 2 developers for Hadley Township

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metr ... 58f24.html
quincunx wrote:
Menards in RH, Lowes in Maplewood, Home Depot in Brentwood. Did the Home Depot receive a TIF? Fragmentation leads to damage again. MapleBrentRich Heightswood would have 25K people. They lost 11.5% 2000-10. How much is that due to taking houses for these redevelopments? They should be one. Can you tell much difference as it is?

Stltoday - Richmond Heights picks 2 developers for Hadley Township

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metr ... 58f24.html

The fact that they can't get a mixed use, dense residential development next to on one of four metrolink stops off the ground amazes me. The region gave them a fixed transit system that takes their residents to the regions two central business districts, two universities, major hospital/Cortex, all of the major sport teams, connects to Amtrak/Greyhound and the airport. Pick a city - Minneapolis, Denver, Salt Lake, Seattle and so on. Communities within those metro areas have figured it out. Like you said, population should be growing in these communities
And the station is one of the most horribly connected to its surroundings. To go to Best Buy you have to walk in the street. To go to Dierbergs you have to walk way behind the building and walk in the street.
I think it is highly irresponsible for many of these cities along the Metrolink line to engage in further big box development so close to the Metrolink station. This proves why the next alignment, if we ever get one, should be in the city of St. Louis. I have yet to see a suburban municipality in St. Louis County truly utilized their Metrolink stations. They continue to squander tax money on failed suburban development strategies and the only city that has a true TOD overlay is Clayton. With the rising cost of gas and shrinking populations of the inner ring municipalities, you would think they would be going for higher density development, considering they are totally built out and the only way to sustain themselves is added density. Does St. Louis County really want a Westport line? For what?
Well said.
Looks like half of the project back in play. Is anybody even excited about this plan?

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metr ... 32393.html
^ I'm weighing options between awkward silence, snarky oneliner or faint praise.

... Um, I like that it's two stories.
Presbyterian wrote:
^ I'm weighing options between awkward silence, snarky oneliner or faint praise.

... Um, I like that it's two stories.

There you go.
These guys over at Menards sure are confident.

In the immediate vicinity there is a Home Depot and a Lowes. A newly remodeled Ace Hardware is right around the corner. Is the market large enough for all four? Who is the first to go.

They're Upper Midwesterners. They should be confident. Those folks get things done.
moorlander wrote:

In the immediate vicinity there is a Home Depot and a Lowes. A newly remodeled Ace Hardware is right around the corner. Is the market large enough for all four? Who is the first to go.

My dibs is on Home Depot for a couple of reasons. First and Foremost being the oldest of the stores. But just as important, it is located closer to I-64 and more value could be seen in the property than an underperforming store. I consider Ace a stand alone and very different biz model versus HD, Lowes and new Menards.

Unfortunately, I don't a reasonable mixed use, dense residential replacing Home Deport or Lowes in the immediate future considering civic leadership. Both spots with great transit access and some well thought out planning could offer the inner suburbs some much needed housing stock. In the meantime, I still beleive the county will continue to lose out on home values and population until they embrace the metrolink stations instead of the latest box store to come along.
So the Suburban Journals reports that Menards is not going ahead with its long announced plans to develop a Lake Saint Louis locations; the excuse being a pity party over all those nasty anti-small business regulations that meany Obama has enacted and its just to risky to expand.

http://www.stltoday.com/suburban-journa ... 81cc4.html

No word on whether they plan to go ahead with the Richmond Hts. location but its unlikely I'll over go.
Menard's has 271 stores and the CEO pays himself $20 million a year...that doesn't scream small family business to me. Not excited about them coming to town.
"I'm very sorry, but we are a family owned business and with the Obama Administration scaring the dickens out of all small businesses in the USA at present, we have decided not to risk expansion until things are more settled."

Is this the comment that rubbed you guys wrong? I take it you're not small business owners. 8)
Actually I am, not sure why you'd make that assumption. Seems to me it's big box chains that receive government subsidies to locate in already-served areas that should be scaring the dickens out of our true small businesses.
moorlander wrote:
"I'm very sorry, but we are a family owned business and with the Obama Administration scaring the dickens out of all small businesses in the USA at present, we have decided not to risk expansion until things are more settled."

Is this the comment that rubbed you guys wrong? I take it you're not small business owners. 8)

I think anyone who presumes to speak for all of any group is usually doing so because of an overinflated sense of self.
I doubt Menard's considers itself a small business.

My guess is that their largest customer base are small business owners (independent contractors, mom & pop plumbing operations, Bob's Landscaping, Two Men and a Paint truck, etc.)
^ Yep, the article also notes that Mendards owns 98 of the 99 parcels. Curious to see where the last hold out is.

Unfortunately you got stalled development across the street from Galleria within short walking distance of Richmond Heights metrolink station yet the next development going forward will require more demo of housing stock without adding any residential units.

I can't see any reason why the development trend will continue to be more big box/strip retail for Chesterfield and Galleria area (Richmond Heights/Brentown) even though you wonder where the saturation point is. I do see some selective big box development (Ikea, another city Target Store) with a spattering of more sustainable retail for cenral corridor of the city as things stabilize and some population/demographics is added.

In the meantime, every where north and south of Hwy 40/I64 corridor will continue to dimish except for a mew big box store to replace an old one here and there while Galleria area might very well be close to peak/saturation with an eventually closing of some of the box stores. Another way to put it, I have a tough time comprehending that the Galleria area can sustain the mulitple hardware/home improvement as well as grocery options once Menards is built and Trader Joes expands. Actually wondering if Dick's Sporting Goods is waiting for a big box failure just to get a good deal on a lease in the area on empty box instead of being the anchor tenant for Boulevard II phase.
So it looks like Richmond Hts. has put off the vote on the Menard's development for a few more weeks to get more info.... if this falls through again it wouldn't be the end of the world because the redevelopment potential of that area is so much greater. And maybe Menard's would go next to IKEA in midtown! Midtown - where we get Hadley's rejects!