Market at McKnight

Discuss new retail, dining, business and residential projects within St. Louis County, including Chesterfield, Riverport, Earth City, Westport and more.
Ryan Heinz

Of the Suburban Journals

Mid-County Journal

Rock Hill officials and Novus representatives expressed relief and excitement with the approval last week of the Market at McKnight, a $95.4 million project at Manchester and McKnight roads.

Among the bills approved March 29 by the Board of Aldermen were the project's site plan, a redevelopment agreement between the city and Novus and $27.4 million in tax-increment financing.

The day after the meeting, Mayor Michael Conran called the board's approval "a good deal all around."

"Unless we can generate significant (sales) tax, which is responsible for the revenue in our budget, we have a tough time as a city," he said. "We don't want to consider raising property tax, so this helps to avoid that

"It also helps to revitalize the city," he added. "If you don't revitalize, then your city becomes blighted as a whole."

The project will be broken into two phases: the southwest and northwest corners of Manchester and McKnight roads. The southwest and northwest portions of the project will feature offices, restaurants and stores. The northwest portion also will feature apartments, condominiums and a senior living center.

A tentative construction schedule for the southwest portion of the project is as follows:

( April 15, exercise options for ground purchases;

( July 15, close on ground purchases;

( Sept. 15, vacate property owners and begin demolition/site work;

( Dec. 1, begin construction;

( Sept. 1, 2006, tenants open for business.

The tentative construction schedule for the northwest portion of the project is as follows:

( April 30, make offers for ground purchases;

( Oct. 1, 2006, begin acquisition of property;

( Jan. 1, 2007, close on ground purchases;

( March 1, 2007, vacate property owners and begin construction.

One of the questions that needs to soon be answered is where the new City Hall will be located. The city has been in negotiations with Novus to purchase property in the new development. Conran said city officials are looking into the new City Hall being in a condo on the lower level of a 20,000-square-foot building in the southwest redevelopment area.

"They seemed to be pleased with the accommodation of the size and the location," said Jonathan Browne, president of Novus. "We know that economically it's much, much cheaper than what they were looking at before, so it should be good for both of us in that case."

Still, Browne added that if the City Hall would be the anchor tenant in the building, the city and Novus would have to come to an agreement within 30 days to stay on schedule. Conran said the city and Novus will bring their architects together to further discuss the future site. The final decision will rest with the next Board of Aldermen following yesterday's election, he added.

The decision to move forward with the Market at McKnight project was met with dissatisfaction by some aldermen. Board members Matthew Knuckles and Ed Johnson voted against the redevelopment agreement, saying the language regarding minorities and women hired for the project was not satisfactory.

Knuckles and Johnson wanted the language to include a mandatory percentage of minority and women workers to be hired rather than what the agreement stated ?that Novus would make good-faith efforts to include minority and women-owned businesses in the redevelopment project.

Conran pointed out he asked for language changes to be made three weeks prior to the board meeting March 29. Nevertheless, the agreement was amended to ensure the developer reports to the city the activities related to its "good-faith efforts" in hiring minorities and women.

At the meeting, Megan Frank, co-owner of CFX Inc., 9538 Manchester Road, suggested the board include in the redevelopment agreement a relocation plan for businesses displaced by the project. Frank said the owners of CFX have received an initial buyout offer from Novus but turned it down.

Conran said it's not the city's place to get involved in such discussions, and business owners will have to negotiate directly with Novus.

"We would like to think we could come to some sort of an agreement with Novus, but it all depends on how much they're willing to take care of us," Frank said.

"We feel a little bit misled in some regards that some of what they are saying they can accommodate may or may not really be their plan," Frank said.

You can contact Ryan Heinz at [email protected].

Great news although the cost of the project has dropped by $15-million. It was supposed to be a $110-million project.

September 2006 for stores to be open, eh? Most of the other deadlines made "whooshing" noises as they flew by, so this one is certainly going to follow suit. The abandoned homes and businesses at the McKnight/Manchester intersection look horrible, and the fact that Novus just secured a loan for its first phase of construction doesn't fill me with confidence. Then again, none of the stores at this mall look like they'll draw a lot of people due to being second-rung level or copycat chains, but that's my own opinion.

As far as news updates go, earlier in June, Novus was denied brownfield credits for building Market at McKnight, but they were able, as I said above, to obtain a loan for the first phase of operations. There are two homes that have, IMO, bravely held out, but there are condemnation procedures in place to bring the total of condemned houses to 25. All the other businesses have moved, most of them out of Rock Hill.

stannate wrote:
The abandoned homes and businesses at the McKnight/Manchester intersection look horrible, and the fact that Novus just secured a loan for its first phase of construction doesn't fill me with confidence.

Anyone know how Novus is doing overall these days? It hasn't been that long since the fiasco in Sunset Hills.

I'd like to see a quality development emerge here especially for the citizens of Rock Hill, but I also have little faith in Novus, and I hate this zero-sum retail relocation game that county municipalities play, in which they attempt to fill their coffers by siphoning tax revenue from their neighbors. Ultimately, the only ones winning the game are the developers, as the cities and schools lose potential revenue (at least initially) with TIF. Hopefully Novus will get their act together this time around. I'd hate to see Rock Hill back at square one, as it is with Sunset Hills these days.

Looks to be semi-new urbanism.

Large photos below.

Photo #1

Photo #2

Photo #3

Photo #4

Controversial development finally opens

By Kathie Sutin

SPECIAL TO THE POST-DISPATCH

10/19/2007

Curtis Kimbrell, of Glaziers union Local 513 and an employee of Budget Glass & Door of Pagedale, installs a window frame in one of the buildings being constructed at the Market at McKnight shopping center in Rock Hill.

(David Carson/P-D)

The long-awaited Market at McKnight, a shopping center in Rock Hill, opened Thursday with its first tenant, clothing retailer Stein Mart.

It's been a somewhat bumpy road for the $35 million, 130,000-square-foot project by Novus Development Co. Hensley Construction Inc. is the contractor.

Rock Hill officials initially were hoping for a fall 2006 opening.

But delays piled up. They included resolving traffic issues on Manchester Road, working out details of moving a cell phone tower from the site, obtaining permits, acquiring the property and seeking additional tax assistance to complete the project.

Several property owners held out for more money, and ultimately Novus used eminent domain to acquire two residential properties. Novus' $12.6 million in city assistance later was bumped up by $1.2 million to offset the cost of removing contaminants from the site.

Today, Market at McKnight is composed of 11 buildings, one of which Stein Mart is occupying for its second store in the St. Louis market. Other tenants announced so far are Clarkson Eye Care, Starbucks, Cartridge World and The Tan Co.

Some Rock Hill officials are miffed that more tenants haven't been announced, but Browne said that's not unusual for a development such as Market at McKnight.

"Our experience with retail is going just the way it usually does. I don't have a problem with 'build and they will come,'" he said. "We don't only put a center up because it's 100 percent leased on the front end. We've done very well with that business model over 25 years, and our occupancy is higher than most people's in the industry."

Read more

Model redevelopment for suburbia

Tonight is the TIF commission meeting for phase II at the northwest corner of McKnight and Manchester.

Is it perfect? No. Is it much better than similar developments in St. Louis city and county? Absolutely!

The strip centers planned near Soulard would be a bit easier to swallow with a design like this IMHO.

ThreeOneFour wrote:
Is it perfect? No. Is it much better than similar developments in St. Louis city and county? Absolutely!

The strip centers planned near Soulard would be a bit easier to swallow with a design like this IMHO.

Totally. I think if they're able to build a similar retail development on the other side of Manchester, it would make the Market at McKnight look not so out-of-place.

^ I'd like that. Hopefully the processes for approval and construction of Phase II will be smoother than they were for Phase I.

Rock Hill dropped Novus as the developer. They're going to go with an out-of-town developer who's partnering with Hutkin.

heard they are opening a bandanas here. Any word on the othe tenants?

Here's the article:

New Developer, More TIF For McKnight Project

by Linda Jarrett

December 07, 2007

The Rock Hill Board of Aldermen on Tuesday voted four to two to replace Novus Companies with a new developer for the second phase of the Manchester-McKnight redevelopment project.

The new developer is Miller Weingarten LLC of Denver, along with the local firm of Hutkin Properties Group.

Rock Hill Board members Daniel DiPlacido and Ed Johnson voted against changing the developer to complete the northwest corner phase of the project.

Link

I get the weekly email from the St. Louis Business Journal but only get the headline and not the full article.

Looks like Target is really trying to blanket the St. Louis market by adding a location in Rock Hill.

Hutkin proposes to build Target in Rock Hill in '08

A new Target store is expected to start construction by October 2008 near Manchester and McKnight roads where it will be the anchor for an estimated $68.6 million development that Rock Hill officials OK'd earlier this month.

How far is that (as the crow flies) from The Brentwood location? Around 3?

^and aren't there plans to put a Target in Olivette? three stores in mid-county may be stretching it a bit.

Saw this one coming a mile away. The big problem now is all the homes that the developer owns. I wouldn't mind seeing all of them torn down - lots of them are currently being used as rentals, and let's just say there's not a lot of desirable tenants there. Lots of crime in that little pocket.

Target pulls out of Rock Hill

By Kathie Sutin

SPECIAL TO THE POST-DISPATCH

03/12/2009

Target has cancelled plans to build a new store in Rock Hill.

Mayor Julie Morgan called the cancellation of the project "disappointing for the city."

Link

Yet another example of why eminent domain for private developers is just plain wrong.

There's a Wendy's going in on one of the outlots. I can hardly contain my enthusiasm.

DeBaliviere wrote:
There's a Wendy's going in on one of the outlots. I can hardly contain my enthusiasm.

I just did a happy dance.

Now if we can just get Wendys back to downtown.
Club Fitness is relocating to the Market at McKnight from the strip center across the street from Hacienda.
^What kind of tax credits are they getting? :wink:
I keep getting calls from that Club Fitness updating me on their move/asking me to join. I think they said they're moving because their customers have been requesting more fitness classes, which their current facility has no room for.
MGinSTL wrote:
I keep getting calls from that Club Fitness updating me on their move/asking me to join. I think they said they're moving because their customers have been requesting more fitness classes, which their current facility has no room for.

This is true (it's my gym). The locker room facilities will be much larger as well. The new location should be really nice.
Where can I find the status of the TIF for this project? I'm interested to see how close it is to being paid off.

The shopping center is doing pretty well these days. Katie's Pizza is killing it, as is Slider House. Bandana's is there, Lucky's Market appears to be popular, and there's a cool beer bar (Global Brew) there too.