The Delmar Loop: Retail

Discuss new retail, dining, business and residential projects within St. Louis County, including Chesterfield, Riverport, Earth City, Westport and more.

jefferson wrote:
I say if a well-known, quality national chain wants to move into the loop, more power to them, it's a sign of the Loop's success. There are a few independent anchors I'd like to see stay in the neighborhood - blueberry hill, Fitz's the Pageant etc. But other than that I see no danger of there being too many chains there. As the Loop retail space matures some of the other neglected old business districts in the city can pick up the independents. It's a natural cycle and tough to stop at any one point in time.

Well said. I agree.

jefferson wrote:
Ok, so you can accept a Noodles & Co. in the east Loop. Honestly I wouldn't be against some sort "protection district" in the Loop between maybe Kingsland and Skinker that gave preference to local businesses as long as they offered a comparable quality to the chain. The key word here is "preference", not outlawing chains altogether.

I can accept that. Now if it would only become a reality. :?

I actually feel like something was accomplished here. That's really satisfying. :D :D :D :D

Like I said, I'm not against chains. In the downtown shopping district thread I even suggested a few chains that would work well downtown. You don't have the historical ramifications downtown. You aren't going to turn the places back to textile factories or whatever they were. Neighborhood shopping districts however are a rare breed and should be protected as unique. The CWE is even different from the Loop or Cherokee or Morgan Ford.

Abbott Kinney in Venice, CA is not unlike the Loop. They've been proactive in their ban.

http://www.argonautnewspaper.com/articl ... ies/2v.txt

Saw two new businesses coming to the Loop near the Tivoli. One is a boutique dog store and the other is something called Silver Lady (I think).

The Silver Lady. Didn't she start out in the loop, and then move to the CWE (McPherson) a few years ago? Is she moving back?

I can't decide where I stand on this issue. Clearly I don't want the loop turned into a bunch of sh*tty chains, but then again, is the city going to tell a building owner they can't lease space to Noodles, Starbucks or Bread Co?

JCity wrote:
I can't decide where I stand on this issue. Clearly I don't want the loop turned into a bunch of sh*tty chains, but then again, is the city going to tell a building owner they can't lease space to Noodles, Starbucks or Bread Co?

I don't know that it would be "The City". I think business owners could get together and with a majority pass a referendum or whatever on allowing (or not) chains in future vacant storefronts. I don't know the legality, but I also don't think a chain would want to challenge it. There has got to be a business association for The Loop, right?

I hope the boutique dog store sells this stuff:

http://www.postmodernpets.com/

I don't even have a dog and would love to shop for gifts for others in a store like this.

this isn't a "business owners" decision; it is a Landlord's decision on who they want in their building.

Business owners deciding what other businesses are allowed to operate on "their turf"? Wow, what a great way to encourage competition. :roll:

Framer wrote:
Business owners deciding what other businesses are allowed to operate on "their turf"? Wow, what a great way to encourage competition. :roll:

It's seen as acting for the greater good of the business owners. If a landlord in a business district wanted to open a check cashing store and others feel that it would bring down the quality of the neighborhood they could put restrictions to block it. Business districts vary in the number of restrictions and how they are enforced. Most have rules about exterior things like signs. In historic districts they have more rules regarding appearance. Other things like business licenses and liqour licenses are restricted by the city or state. To think that you can buy a building and do whatever you want without restrictions is incorrect. Putting restrictions on chain stores would just be another way to retain the character of a business district. If you, as a landlord, don't like it, don't buy a property in an historic business district like the Loop. Buy a strip mall storefront in South County.

Loop Chained: The arrival of Noodles & Company and Chipotle has some Delmar business owners wondering where it will end.

By Ellis E. Conklin

Published: April 25, 2007

Many merchants along the six-block-long Delmar Loop seem to fancy themselves as exotic little fish, an eclectic and contented school of small entrepreneurs — that is, until an oversize guppy or two gets added to their aquarium. When that happens, the little fish fret and claim their waters have been fouled.

For now the dreaded guppies are Chipotle Mexican Grill and Noodles & Company, two Colorado-based chain restaurants that will be moving into the building currently occupied by Streetside Records, a Loop mainstay for decades. Late last month the University City Council granted conditional-use permits to the eateries, a decision that fomented a swiftly organized revolt to place a cap on the number of formula restaurants and retail chains that can be allowed to do business in the Loop.

Such rebellions are nothing new among the Loop's specialty set. When Qdoba Mexican Grill moved to Delmar a couple of years ago, sound and fury ensued. But this time, some merchants insist, the stakes are higher.

"You have to wonder whether we've reached a tipping point now — that we've diluted the characteristics that make the Loop a unique destination," says Andy Ayers, owner of Riddles Penultimate Café & Wine Bar. "We're getting to the point where people will say, 'We might as well stay in Fenton or Creve Coeur or Chesterfield,' because we won't be any different than they are. "

Adds Kelly von Plonski, owner of Subterranean Books: "People will stop coming when it's no longer a distinct place. I get so many people who come here from big cities like Manhattan and Chicago and say, 'It's so nice to see places like this, because we're losing them where we live.'"

Rick Fessler, co-owner of Brandt's Café, says placing a cap on chains is badly needed. "It's an absolutely great idea. That's what the Loop is all about — places to go that are small and locally owned."

"There's no doubt that we're seeing a trend in the chain direction," offers Carrie Drda, owner of the Phoenix Rising gift shop.

Full Story: http://www.riverfronttimes.com/2007-04- ... p-chained/

You know - I hate to say I told you so...but....

YEAH! IN YOUR F--KING FACE F--KWAD!

I love family guy

^^ You're all welcome in the Grove!

The unique stores could set up shop on the other side of Metrolink to the east while the main Loop transforms as a reality if its success. Its still neat and has select restaurants I can only find there.
The Delmar Loop Qdoba closed this last weekend. Cheeseology is closing in March.
No surprise with Qdoba. They're up against Mission Taco, Soeul Taco, and Chipotle.
^ And El Maguey, which is better than Mission, if ugly and untrendy...

Also, what's up with Chubbies? Are they reopening or not?
I'll never understand why Qdoba loses out to Chipotle. I like it much better.

As you said, though, it's more than just Chipotle in this case.
dweebe wrote:
The Delmar Loop Qdoba closed this last weekend. Cheeseology is closing in March.

I've always had horrible experiences at that Qdoba. Whether it's customer service or food quality, that location just seemed below par.

Sucks about Cheeseology.
stlien wrote:
dweebe wrote:

I've always had horrible experiences at that Qdoba. Whether it's customer service or food quality, that location just seemed below par.

Very much. Some evenings I have to work later and they'd be my evening choice. But even though they'd close at 10:30pm (or later), by 9pm they'd be out of numerous things and the quesadilla grills would be shut down.
went to three kings public house last weekend....the Salmon BLT was very good. :D
3 kings is probably the best bar in town
Sad day. I had so many more burritos to eat.
While I love mission taco, the vegetarian tacos at Small Batch on Locust are even better and love me some meats.
Taco lovers should rejoice in knowing that the circus is coming to Bevo Mill!

http://www.feastmagazine.com/the-feed/a ... 979a5.html
jcity wrote:
While I love mission taco, the vegetarian tacos at Small Batch on Locust are even better and love me some meats.

The food at Small Batch is amazing. I think the Bourbon was good too but sadly I don't know Bourbon (or whisky) from spit.