Boulevard Saint Louis I & II

Discuss new retail, dining, business and residential projects within St. Louis County, including Chesterfield, Riverport, Earth City, Westport and more.
First unread post314 posts

Thank God we will finally get a West Elm.

kustramo wrote:
Sorry, a bit off topic but why does this thing edit d*ck's sporting goods automatically? Is that some running joke?

nah, Dick's Sporting Goods is no more targeted than Dick Durbin or Dick Gregory, or Dick Weber.

southcitygent wrote:
Thank God we will finally get a West Elm.

They do have some nice stuff. I bought a lamp and coffee table from their Nashville location.

southsidepride wrote:
kustramo wrote:
Sorry, a bit off topic but why does this thing edit d*ck's sporting goods automatically? Is that some running joke?

nah, d*ck's Sporting Goods is no more targeted than d*ck Durbin or d*ck Gregory, or d*ck Weber.

OK, pardon the off-topic, but I have to test this self-censoring:

Next on TV Land, The Dick Van Dyke Show, starring Dick Van Dyke.

What exactly is going in where all that construction is on the north end? There is a shell of a building and the whole area is closed off but I see no other construction.

Also, I have seen nothing done yet on the south end where I-64 runs nearby.

Has anyone noticed that the top 4 floors of that black building aren't in use? Who uses this building anyway?

Survivor147 wrote:
What exactly is going in where all that construction is on the north end? There is a shell of a building and the whole area is closed off but I see no other construction.

http://www.urbanstl.com/viewtopic.php?t=2969&start=120

I wonder if there are issues with this developement? McCormick & Schmick's has announced they'll open their first St. Louis location at West County Mall.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/business/stories.nsf/developmenteconomy/story/FCC2ACB9F3BFF1B08625749E007CD319?OpenDocument

McCormick & Schmick's to open seafood restaurant at West County Center

By Rachel Melcer

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

08/08/2008

McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant will open its first eatery in the St. Louis area at the West County Center in Des Peres, developers said Thursday.

The Portland, Ore.-based chain will locate its restaurant alongside a Bravo! Cucina Italiana and two other dining spots that have yet to be named as part of a 90,000-square-foot expansion of the mall, said Sean Phillips, regional marketing director for CBL & Associates Properties Inc.

McCormick & Schmick's previously had been named as part of the Boulevard-St. Louis development in Brentwood. Pace Properties Inc., which managed that retail center, could not comment for this article.

But CBL's Phillips said the seafood restaurant would be among 20 shops and restaurants that call West County Center their only St. Louis area home.

^Yes, too many delays. Retailers like to know roughly when they might be able to open.

jlblues wrote:
^Yes, too many delays. Retailers like to know roughly when they might be able to open.

Wonder why? Maybe having the 40/170 construction nearby is just too much drama nearby. Nordstrom's not opening at the Galleria until mid 2010.

They were supposed to start construction of Phase II a long time ago, like shortly after Phase I opened. Tenants were signing LOIs for Phase II before Phase I even opened. Nobody is going to wait that long, and I doubt many retailers are going to be signing any new LOIs in the near future.

The tight capital market, pessimistic consumers, and highway construction have all compounded issues that have surrounded The Boulevard since its conception. Just like Ballpark Village, there was a window in which you could get such projects off of the ground, but a variety of factors have all but shut that window over the last year or so. Unless there is a significant uptick in the economy soon (which is entirely possible), there will be a wave of retail closings, and if so, "lifestyle center" retailers and developments are going to be hit particularly hard. Regardless of what the economy does though, I think Pace is going to have it's hands full just keeping Phase I occupied.

Do you guys think that Phase I will be more successful when Phase II is completed?

Let's be honest, the design is pretty awful right now, it's just an insulated strip mall and with that craptastic blockbuster strip mall to the south of it it takes away from the development. If they can get Phase II off the ground and increase foot traffic it will probably have a very positive impact on Phase I.

I agree that Phase I will be more successful with the completion of Phase II, but lets not forget the hotel development north of Phase I next to the University Club building. Better linking the adjacent office tower along with the new hotels to the development (and to metrolink) would help tremendously. So to would a Phase III at the southern end that was an office complex not an ugly strip mall.

Friday, September 19, 2008

Boulevard to add Dick’s, Hyatt Place

St. Louis Business Journal - by Lisa R. Brown

The Boulevard development in Richmond Heights has signed two tenants, a Hyatt Place hotel and Dick’s Sporting Goods.

The signed leases give the green light for construction to start at the stalled second phase of The Boulevard, a mixed-use development located across Brentwood Boulevard from the Saint Louis Galleria at the intersection of Highway 40 and Interstate 170. Construction on the $95 million second phase will start in November and be completed in Spring 2010.

Originally, construction was set to begin on the second phase in mid-2006, but an office tower and condo development were scrapped from original designs, leading to delays.

Doug Huff, executive vice president of development for Pace Properties, the owner and manager of The Boulevard, said the second phase will total 125,000 square feet of retail space, 35,000 square feet of office space and a 172-room, eight-story Hyatt Place hotel. The hotel will be located over the retail space in a structure that will be 10 stories tall.

Continue Here

Now if Sansone could come up with something better then the proposed stip mall for the area that was once Phase III. Can Sansone even think outside of the box? Literally speaking.

My questions at the moment for the area. Will this impact the fact that a second hotel was suppose to go up along with the Westin (I think that is correct) at the corner of Brentwood & Clayton Road? Can the market support another hotel and more office space for this area? It doesn't have the best pedesterian orientation for transit. But everything built along Brentwood on the north side of I-64 is at least within reasonable walking distance to the Richmond Heights Metrolink Station.

Dredger wrote:
Will this impact the fact that a second hotel was suppose to go up along with the Westin (I think that is correct) at the corner of Brentwood & Clayton Road?

No. There was always the likelihood of a hotel in Phase II of the Boulevard, if and when Phase II were to happen, so I'm sure they would have included that in their market study.

Dredger wrote:
It doesn't have the best pedesterian orientation for transit.

That is the understatement of the year. Brentwood/Richmond Heights doesn't give two f***s about mass transit, and the pedestrian accessibility thereof.

BTW, I'm surprised Pace would proceed with this right now, assuming they are being genuine about starting construction in November, but Dick's and the hotel should definitely help secure financing. I suspect they were in danger of losing their development rights/TIF and TDD agreement.

TDD?

Jblues, What TDD encompasses this area and what its intended purpose? I didn't realize it.

I know that a Hanley TDD was put in place for the Sam's/Walmart/Lowe's development and still is going (not sure if the county is using some of those funds for the jug to Eager but I believe they are going use TDD funds for a new Manchester/Hanley intersection). Unfortunately, the Hanley TDD is not being used to improve pedesterian access when their are three metrolink stations within a block or two of Hanley.

^The TDD ecompasses The Boulevard redevelopment area and the portions of public transportation infrastructure along it's perimeter.

The TDD redirects a portion of tax revenue generated by The Boulevard to help pay for traffic and other studies, and hard and soft costs associated with construction of improvements such as new traffic lights, crosswalks, a landscaped median down Brentwood, and miscellaneous sidewalk, curb, and vehicle access improvements along Brentwood and Galleria Pkwy. Some of these improvements have obviously been postponed until the I-170/I-64 interchange and reconstruction work in the vicinity is complete.

I believe the TDD also includes some miscellaneous improvement costs borne by The Boulevard, which were associated with the reconstruction of I-170 and it's proximity to the site, such as drainage, lighting, and earth retention issues, as well as costs associated with the removal of the public streets within the redevelopment area, but I'm not positive, and would have to look up the specifics.

Basically, almost any cost associated with transportation infrastructure improvements necessary, or desired, due to the redevelopment of an area or specific site, can be included in a TDD.

Not bad.

I take it that's Brentwood Blvd. in the foreground? This should really change the looks of things around there. It would be nice to eventually see something similar built on the Gallaria's parking lot.

Looks good, though from that rendering, it looks like the major change from Phase I is that all the retail will hug Brentwood rather than the internal street. Guess Pace thought part of the problem with Phase I is that all the store fronts were not as visible from Brentwood.

Not bad.

Plus, it'll help add structural density along Brentwood Blvd instead of vast parking lots.

Great find, CK03.

I like.

Funny, this should make nearly a mile of parking garage along 170 with this, phase 1, the new hotel, and the enterprise bohemeth.

Moorlander wrote:
I like.

Funny, this should make nearly a mile of parking garage along 170 with this, phase 1, the new hotel, and the enterprise bohemeth.

...and people will still complain there's not enough parking.