[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 233: Undefined offset: 1
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/cleantalk/antispam/model/main_model.php on line 275: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/cleantalk/antispam/model/main_model.php on line 278: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/cleantalk/antispam/model/main_model.php on line 281: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
39 North AgTech District (Creve Coeur) - URBAN STL

39 North AgTech District (Creve Coeur)

Discuss new retail, dining, business and residential projects within St. Louis County, including Chesterfield, Riverport, Earth City, Westport and more.
It seems like there should be a general thread for this somewhere, but I didn't see one that is appropriate.

New study in Creve Coeur hopes to set up a big innovation district modeled after CORTEX:

Link: St. Louis County starts work on new plant science district in Creve Coeur

Is this the Monsanto office park? Monsanto is sort of eventually scheduled to move from Creve Coeur to Chesterfield. I can't quite tell what area this is talking about.
Actually I read the business journal article first. Stltoday says the location includes the Monsanto campus
The district, spanning 575 acres, would be anchored by the Donald Danforth Plant Science Center, Bio-Research & Development Growth (BRDG) Park, and the Helix Center Biotech Incubator. It would also include the corporate campus of Monsanto Co.
^ yeah, this is pretty exciting news that has been in the planning.... we've discussed it on a few threads here and there but I don't think it's had its own until now. One of the things we've speculated on is how much the growing plant science district will influence Metrolink expansion plans, with West County extension going by/near here in competition with North-South.
To some extent that relies on how well CORTEX can demonstrate to Danforth the transformative power of public transit for attracting young urban types. If they're using Monsanto's existing office park structure, this is not going to be very easy. Although anything that can drive proper urban development around our Chinese and Korean grocery stores would be amazing. (as they are between Danforth and the existing transit network.
I'll be curious to see how they plan to retrofit this place into a walkable place for people. Olive has 40 mph speed limits, no street parking, sidewalk right on the stroad, none at all, or immersed in expenses of grassy nothignness. I imagine it'll cost a lot. Next time let's build in a walkable area in the first place.
^ does anyone in the county walk anywhere? :)

Jake I see it two ways. 1. I'd rather the business stay local 2. We could use more fresh Ideas from other locals

Just an FYI, it's the same firm that has worked on CORTEX with Washington University, Wexford and CORTEX.
I personally think H.O.K. and others are more than capable, but fresh bold ideas are needed in St. Louis.

I don't know if they did or not, but St. Louis County should have held a competition - if they didn't.

This would be the first district of its kind - plant and ag research - anywhere in the world.
Here's a map of the area being discussed as part of BRDG Park (Bio Research & Development Growth):
That is a huge area. I did not realize all that land north of Danforth was included.
mil204, your business is there on Research Road? Are you guys getting into plant science?
^ :D No, not our industry. But if the vision comes to pass, we have the potential to have our land get bought out by Wash U for a second time (CORTEX 1 being the first)!
What are the two round structures to the left of the Danforth Center?
Love that we're working on a Plant Science District, but still wish this would have been included with CORTEX in Midtown. I'm afraid this is going to cannibalize some of the growth at CORTEX.
debaliviere wrote:

The property west of the Danforth Plant Science Center and buildings on Research Blvd immediately to the west of the apartment complex are all part of Missouri American Water.
chaifetz10 wrote:
Love that we're working on a Plant Science District, but still wish this would have been included with CORTEX in Midtown. I'm afraid this is going to cannibalize some of the growth at CORTEX.

That all depends on how well they articulate their specific specialization. I see more conflict between Washington Avenue and CORTEX than between Danforth and CORTEX. My perception may be a bit skewed but,

Washington Avenue : Tech startups
CORTEX : Tech startups, medical devices, and funding sources
Danforth : All plants all the time.

If that sports company gets bought out a second time, maybe they can meet up with Stadia Ventures and go form their own district somewhere? Use Rawlings as nurse log maybe.

In a sense it is local as Baltimore developer Wexford is hiring a Baltimore firm.
chaifetz10 wrote:

I don't think so.

I'm going to piggyback of CarexCurator. This is how I see things:

Downtown St. Louis & Washington Avenue: Information Technology, Data and Tech start-ups
CORTEX : Bioscience, biotech, med tech, tech start-ups, established tech firms, all types of start-ups, medical devices and support firms
Danforth: All plants (and anything Ag) all the time.

While there's a potential for some overlapping and competition, if I had an IT start-up, I certainly wouldn't choose the plant sciences district. Downtown or CORTEX would be on my radar. There doesn't appear to be too many plant science or Ag firms in CORTEX; so my belief is there will not be CORTEX firms (or similar) flocking to Creve Coeur UNLESS there is some kind of financial/tax incentive for locating in the district.

Either way, the region will benefit and CORTEX is going to have to get bigger. While there's a ways to go for total build-out of CORTEX, 200-acres will be gobbled up if CORTEX doesn't build up (i.e. taller) or acquire more land.
mill204 wrote:
debaliviere wrote:

The property west of the Danforth Plant Science Center and buildings on Research Blvd immediately to the west of the apartment complex are all part of Missouri American Water.

Looks like a good-sized piece of land for expansion, if the water company could be persuaded to move to another location.
debaliviere wrote:
mill204 wrote:
debaliviere wrote:

Looks like a good-sized piece of land for expansion, if the water company could be persuaded to move to another location.

My guess is that they are part of the Stacy Park reservoir across the street.
If that sports company gets bought out a second time, maybe they can meet up with Stadia Ventures and go form their own district somewhere? Use Rawlings as nurse log maybe.[/quote]

Who are you referring to here?
jstriebel wrote:
If that sports company gets bought out a second time, maybe they can meet up with Stadia Ventures and go form their own district somewhere? Use Rawlings as nurse log maybe.

Who are you referring to here?

http://www.markwort.com/

Local company that keeps being bought out by St. Louis development projects. I hear they have some forward thinking leadership.
^ Yup. And before my lifetime, here's a streetview link showing the approximate location the company used to have a retail store back in the 50s!