Boland Place development Richmond Heights

Discuss new retail, dining, business and residential projects within St. Louis County, including Chesterfield, Riverport, Earth City, Westport and more.
Another large apartment building 207 units with mixed use proposed for mid county 1301 Boland Place in Richmond Heights -

http://40southnews.com/richmond-heights ... on-boland/
^ sheesh... it's almost hot in here.
^ Makes me confident that learn term we may see better development near Metrolink stations once some of the big boxes age and need to be redeveloped. The long term plan must be to make Dale Avenue a more walkable experience to the Metrolink.
Site plan looks great, and the design is OK.

I can see how neighbors would feel like it overwhelms the neighborhood, though. Gonna be lots of opposition.
Yeah, we should have 3 300-story buildings downtown and nothing but single family with big a55 yards from there to Warren Co. <hic>
The site location seems out of place to me. Wouldn't some dense townhouses, row house type development be a better fit? It seems this would be a better fit if it could be within a short walk of the Richmond metrolink station by replacing the bowling alley or maybe part a new phased development next to Brentwood station that would replace Dierbergs/box store
goat314 wrote:
^ Makes me confident that learn term we may see better development near Metrolink stations once some of the big boxes age and need to be redeveloped. The long term plan must be to make Dale Avenue a more walkable experience to the Metrolink.

Richmond Heights spent a ton a money on that stretch of Dale. Redid the whole street, new back-in parking, fancy street lights, fancy brick streetcorner markers, added like 7 stop signs. Not sure what else you're looking for.

I live in Maplewood: there's a reason the property taxes like 50% higher in RH even though it's the same school district.
^ I wasn't aware of this. I no longer live in St. Louis and when I come back I rarely go to this area of Mid-County. Good to know though.
Maplewood residential is 0.744 per $100 assessed.
Richmond Heights residential is 0.61 per$100 assessed

Maplewood-Richmond Heights School District is 5.55
Planning and Zoning voted 7-2 in favor of this development.

http://40southnews.com/richmond-heights ... -proposal/
^Great. Density walkable to transit with a small retail element. Not much more you can ask for on a mid-County mid-neighborhood site overlooking 40/64.
BUT, I forgot to mention, they should only be allowed to build it if they bring back that huge steel slide that seemed to be 3 stories high.
I didn't realize that there's a large, existing school building on this site. Let's hope they don't tear it down until the new project is definite.
Overall a plus but after condemning so much of the area as "blight" why aren't they forcing this up the street at Dale and Hanley or anywhere in the blighted zone? Just plain ridiculous!
I hate to say it, but it really is out of scale for the neighborhood.
Can we worry about a single family sprawl neighborhood bubble?

Wonder what the other 8,500 residents in RH think.

Love the hand-wringing about traffic. If we agree cars ruin places, then quit encouraging them!
quincunx wrote:

Love the hand-wringing about traffic. If we agree cars ruin places, then quit encouraging them!

I live nearby in Maplewood and this will effect me. I say build it. The NIMBY's have been gotten use to this lot being empty for over a decade and think it should remain empty. :roll:
I'm sitting in the Meridian Building on the west side of Hanley. Anybody know what (if anything) is going on across Hanley? NE corner of Dale & Hanley has supposedly been under contract for almost a year and a half.
quincunx wrote:

Richmond Heights resident here and I'm strongly in favor. I'm most likely in favor of any proposal that adds residential density (there are always exceptions, of course). Unfortunately, I was out of town and was unable to attend the meeting.
andrewarkills wrote:
I'm sitting in the Meridian Building on the west side of Hanley. Anybody know what (if anything) is going on across Hanley? NE corner of Dale & Hanley has supposedly been under contract for almost a year and a half.

Nevermind, I found it. Looks to be behind schedule, and poorly designed.
viewtopic.php?t=10703
I drive dale every single day and Boland once a week. It would need a lot more than this to cause any noticeable traffic congestion. The arguments about the apartment complex failing are quite a stretch. Those residents are simply scared to death of change.
nextSTL.com - Richmond Heights Considers Smart Development for Dale, Faces Opposition

http://nextstl.com/2016/01/richmond-hei ... pposition/
I don't know what's the fuss.

Property values on Boland Place should rise because of this project. I'd rather have this luxury complex across the street than a big empty school and church.

If property values soar because of the complex, developers may come pay a premium for nearby properties.

I'll take the gamble.