Sunnen TOD? -Retail+Dealership+Sunnen Market Apartments

Discuss new retail, dining, business and residential projects within St. Louis County, including Chesterfield, Riverport, Earth City, Westport and more.
This complex would've been nice at the 40/Hanley interchange. Good for perceptions seeing Alfa Romeo/Porsche and then Mercedes at Hampton as people drive into the city.
The Alfa Romeo dealer is also a Maserati dealer. The signage is up and looks like it could be open later this month
What's that shaping up to be? Surely that's not another car dealership.
symphonicpoet wrote:What's that shaping up to be? Surely that's not another car dealership.
Apartments
moorlander wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:05 am
symphonicpoet wrote:What's that shaping up to be? Surely that's not another car dealership.
Apartments
https://nextstl.com/2015/11/sunnen-stat ... maplewood/

That's quite a sea of parking for TOD, but hey, it's not too bad looking for all that. Are those renderings the current plan? The NextStL article isn't entirely clear about that. (And it's just a bit . . . old at this point.)
The new car dealerships have completely killed any of the possible desirability of that location as a decent place to live, IMO.
Randy wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:19 pm
The new car dealerships have completely killed any of the possible desirability of that location as a decent place to live, IMO.
Yup. As if they've never been to Ballwin.
On the south side of the building first floor steel and walls are up. The Alfa Romeo and Maserati dealership is open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With a decent tail wind You could spit on the Metro link from your apt

^ it's crazy more apartment haven't been built near Metrolink, even apartments of this density. Will St. Louis ever "get it".
moorlander wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:30 pm
With a decent tail wind You could spit on the Metro link from your apt
You must be especially good at expectorating! You could squeeze another apartment building in the space occupied by the parking and grass between the apartments and the station. Your statement would likely only be true if this development was to emulate the Memorial Park or Del Mar stations in Pasadena.
Interesting brick patterns

Is that a wood framed building of the kind that seems goes up in flames all the time? Or is the wood I see in the photos just temporary bracing?
bprop wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:51 pm
Is that a wood framed building of the kind that seems goes up in flames all the time? Or is the wood I see in the photos just temporary bracing?
Wood as opposed to?? Metal studs?
Every single new construction apartment building I work on is a wood frame building. As for fire hazards, I imagine this is a sprinklered building. Also, unless there's been a serious mistake by the contractor or architect, under current Fire Codes, it's extremely difficult for a fire to leave an individual unit.
aprice wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:40 pm
bprop wrote:
Every single new construction apartment building I work on is a wood frame building. As for fire hazards, I imagine this is a sprinklered building. Also, unless there's been a serious mistake by the contractor or architect, under current Fire Codes, it's extremely difficult for a fire to leave an individual unit.
I guess. I've just seen them in the news much more frequently in the past year. For example:

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ar ... 56573.html

To your point, I think their have been some dramatic fires mid-construction, before sprinklers and drywall are put in.
Many cities are starting to crack down on large-scale wood-framed construction. There's been dozens of huge construction fires, which threaten to spread to nearby buildings. Until they're closed in and roofed, they're just too vulnerable.
aprice wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:40 pm
bprop wrote:
Like 3949 Lindell?
bprop wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:11 pm
To your point, I think their have been some dramatic fires mid-construction, before sprinklers and drywall are put in.
Ahh, okay, I see your point. The Brookside fire in Columbia and the Lindell fire are obviously two that come to mind. Brookside was an electrical fire, the Lindell fire spread because of poor (or lack of) draft stopping in the attic. The latter, I'm guessing was a code violation.
While they can pose a huge threat to adjacent buildings and firefighters, and while these fires should be investigated and punished, I guess I'm not too concerned about them because occupants aren't being injured or killed. And construction workers seem to be evacuating fine. As you said, when complete, the drywall does its job.
[quote=moorlander post_id=284279 time=1498596248 user_id=553]
Interesting brick patterns

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201706 ... 878d5f.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]

render for comparo

[img]http://www.hollandcs.com/wp-content/upl ... 00x500.jpg[/img]