Sunnen TOD? -Retail+Dealership+Sunnen Market Apartments

Discuss new retail, dining, business and residential projects within St. Louis County, including Chesterfield, Riverport, Earth City, Westport and more.
dredger wrote:
I'm still amazed how well the highlands development had gone at the old stadium site and how Sunnen has either struggled, not put together something together attractive and or simply has not been aggressive/land banking or all of the above.

Location and visibility.

moorlander wrote:
Maplewood approved this

It's getting both dealerships? I guess I misunderstood and thought Porsche was the only one going in. Oh well.
Porsche building steal and concrete block is up two stories. It looks BIG
I drove by that the other day. It really is quite the surprising construction site. And that's a car dealership? Wow! (Okay, Porsche. Not quite the same as Chevy. But still . . . )
^ I do like how they reconfigured the streets and intersections with Hanley vs the old Lacledes Road intersection. At same time, feels like it went from dense compact little neighborhood to an extension of the Sunnen business park w scattered buildings and lot of surface parking lot. Just with car dealerships instead.

Also trying to figure out if an apartment complex is really going to fit in or would be that desireable of location for someone who wants to rent. The proposed apartment complex on Manchester feels like a better fit even though you have to cross busy Hanley to get to the metrolink station.

Right now my gut feeling is keep building jobs, offices around Sunnen Station and find other infill or repurpose locations around Richmond Heights (The Boulevards Phase II) and Brentwood metrolink stations for residential. I also believe that one of the large home improvement box stores will shutter with Menards open and either Home Depot or Lowe's would be make for a good mixed use location with easy access to metrolink also.
dredger wrote:
Also trying to figure out if an apartment complex is really going to fit in or would be that desireable of location for someone who wants to rent. The proposed apartment complex on Manchester feels like a better fit even though you have to cross busy Hanley to get to the metrolink station.

Like I pointed out earlier in this thread to the people angry over another car dealership I pointed out how unattractive this triangle is. Metrolink tracks on one side, heavily used rail tracks on another and a busy 6 lane stroad on the other.
dweebe wrote:
dredger wrote:

Like I pointed out earlier in this thread to the people angry over another car dealership I pointed out how unattractive this triangle is. Metrolink tracks on one side, heavily used rail tracks on another and a busy 6 lane stroad on the other.

Really come around to that point of view with the damage done but didn't really get a good feel until I had chance to be back in the area and drove past it last month. Maybe Maplewood is simply better off getting residential near its other metrolink station.

In the meantime, would like to see The Boulevards phase II break ground with more residential. It seems like a better fit with residential/mixed use/parking structure already in place with reasonable walk to Richmond Heights metrolink & shopping. Maybe, just maybe a better development can be proposed on the burger king property that was once proposed as phase III residential tower instead of the mini strip mall center proposed that followed.
Great views of Clayton Skyline from here

New interchange is open. Porsche dealer on right

Question, so are the Apartments not happening?
Chalupas54 wrote:
Question, so are the Apartments not happening?

The two car dealerships (Porsche and Alfa Romeo/Maserati) front Hanley so they are easiest to see. I'll see if I can get some pics of the apartments.
^ speaking of county projects that are easy to see, that senior residence being built by 170/40 sure is up to the highway.... I had to honk at it to get it out of my lane.
^STLrainbow,

You made me snort with that one. I don't recall noticing it and I was through there just the other day after I went to the airport. Was I that tired? I'll have to check again.
I drove through Sunnen and it doesn't appear they've started on the apartments.
^^ driving westbound on 40 its pretty hard to miss.
Anyone know if it is a new dealer, or relocation? If there is a perceived shortage of housing, they cod rezone and add apartments along the green space and move the road along that mess of plaza across marshall road. That shopping center could use a change up...
traveler wrote:
Anyone know if it is a new dealer, or relocation? If there is a perceived shortage of housing, they cod rezone and add apartments along the green space and move the road along that mess of plaza across marshall road. That shopping center could use a change up...

http://40southnews.com/porsche-building ... omeo-next/

The dealership is a consolidation of two St. Louis Porsche dealers — Parktown Imports at 10230 Manchester Road and Plaza Porsche in Creve Coeur. Houston-based indiGO Auto Group bought them both this year, according to the St. Louis Business Journal.

indiGO currently has a little spec of a dealership on Manchester Rd next to RSI Kitchen and Baths currently; I assume that'll also be folded into this dealership: https://goo.gl/maps/ZBL3cFZWrNS2

-RBB
The Maserati/Alfa is relocating from Watson in Creatwood.
moorlander wrote:
The Maserati/fiat is relocating from Watson in Creatwood.

The decline of Watson continues.
Ebsy wrote:
moorlander wrote:

Well I don't think the temporary showroom at The Chevy dealer was a good location.
I don't think it's impossible for both to be true. On the other hand, I also don't know that I much care one way or the other.
moorlander wrote:
Ebsy wrote:
moorlander wrote:

Well I don't think the temporary showroom at The Chevy dealer was a good location.

Haha!
The Porsche dealer has been open now since the first of the year. The Alfa Romeo dealer won't be far behind.

Here's a shot of the new apartment building going up.

^ thanks moorlander,

It is kinda fitting description on how Brentwood, Maplewood and Shrewsbury have embraced their four metrolink stations. An apartment building going up that is surrounded by car dealerships
Does anyone have clear and updated renderings for the Apartment Building?
I noticed some prominent Superbowl spots for Alfa Romeo; they must looking to expand in the USA.