Better Together...or not

Discuss new retail, dining, business and residential projects within St. Louis County, including Chesterfield, Riverport, Earth City, Westport and more.
CarexCurator

Re: Better Together...or not

Unread post by CarexCurator » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:30 am

Head of public transit effort hopes to remove his suburb from the county with the biggest transit subsidy. What's the opposite of a conflict of interest? A lack of interest perhaps?
Edifice, schmidifice, let's talk about maintenance

bprop
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

Unread post by bprop » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:16 pm

CarexCurator wrote:Head of public transit effort hopes to remove his suburb from the county with the biggest transit subsidy. What's the opposite of a conflict of interest? A lack of interest perhaps?

Huh?

quincunx
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by quincunx » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:23 pm

John Nations != Bob Nation

MarkHaversham
Expert Member
Expert Member

Unread post by MarkHaversham » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:35 pm

I don't see how anyone could confuse Chesterfield Mayor Bob Nation with Chesterfield Mayor John Nations. There's an extra s there!

quincunx
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by quincunx » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:04 pm

A victory for the status quo. Guess we'll have to go to the ballot box.

BREAKING: Judge strikes down municipal court reform law

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crim ... 1cafa.html

urban_dilettante
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

Unread post by urban_dilettante » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:21 pm

no muni anywhere should be funding themselves off of traffic tickets. set the max at 15% everywhere and be done with it.

quincunx
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by quincunx » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:35 pm

Under what structural change do the people and all 90 mayors win?

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

St.Louis1764

Unread post by St.Louis1764 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:11 pm

Its downright fraud to just feed off the people so your community can stay afloat.. I wouldn't mind seeing about 80 of those muni's be gone perhaps all of them and be one big St.Louis.

quincunx
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by quincunx » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:25 pm

Missouri Times - Supporters of SB 5 plot course after court ruling

http://themissouritimes.com/27981/suppo ... rt-ruling/

quincunx
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by quincunx » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:48 am

I hear a lot of foot dragging and victim card playing. It shouldn't take more than a year to set up IT infrastructure to serve one court for the 24 cities, IMO. And they bring up the other very important issues of crime, dwindling tax base, schools, low commercial activity, but doesn't dawn on them that the fragmentation gets in the way of addressing them.

More municipal court reform conversations needed, say Normandy Mayor and Beyond Housing CEO

On Monday’s St. Louis on the Air, Beyond Housing President and CEO Chris Krehmeyer and Normandy Mayor Patrick Green joined host Don Marsh in discussing Senate Bill 5, which deals with municipal court overhaul. Recently, a Cole County judge rejected major parts of the law. More background on that here.

http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/mor ... ousing-ceo

MarkHaversham
Expert Member
Expert Member

Unread post by MarkHaversham » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:58 am

http://fox2now.com/2016/04/12/crestwood ... is-county/

The slow, old-man shuffle toward consolidation continues.

quincunx
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by quincunx » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:19 pm

Crestwood could take the lead of other STL Co munis and leverage I-44 for ticket revenue since they can't leverage it for sales tax revenue.

APS221

Unread post by APS221 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:12 am

quincunx wrote:I hear a lot of foot dragging and victim card playing. It shouldn't take more than a year to set up IT infrastructure to serve one court for the 24 cities, IMO. And they bring up the other very important issues of crime, dwindling tax base, schools, low commercial activity, but doesn't dawn on them that the fragmentation gets in the way of addressing them.

Yeah, you would think that a municipal government which operates a police department and municipal court could also establish and operate a community service program.

I'm also glad to see that Green has toned down the rhetoric. He sounded a lot better in this interview than he did in this one: http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/fight-over-missouri-municipal-court-law-didnt-start-overnight
In this interview, and in previous interviews Green tries to have it both ways. He doesn't think Normandy should be lumped together with the other "bad apples" or "bad eggs" like Pine Lawn, but he often lumps together all proponents of consolidation as having a racially biased motivation. He also criticizes the State for neglecting North County and not doing more to deal with municipalities like Pine Lawn, but when the State does do something that impacts Normandy, he thinks municipalities should be left alone to address the problems as they see fit.

I agree that the fragmentation gets in the way of addressing issues facing the entire area. I know that merging the City and County is often discussed here, but I think it would be a big victory just to get the Veldas, Vinitas, Pasadenas, and Bels to merge.

quincunx
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by quincunx » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:01 am

Rep Burns amended HB 1632 with the language from HB 1686, so that's the bill to watch. The goal is easier disincorporation process and adding one fore 3rd class and charter cities.

http://www.house.mo.gov/billsummary.asp ... 016&code=R

quincunx
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by quincunx » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:47 am

"It's too hard." So what.

Stltoday.com - Editorial: It's not a St. Louis thing. Merging governments is hard everywhere

http://www.stltoday.com/news/opinion/co ... 1f3da.html

quincunx
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by quincunx » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:48 am

Stl American comes out hard for consolidation

Fragmentation costs STL County democracy

We owe a belated congratulations to Adina Johnson, newly elected trustee for the village of Mackenzie, a tiny rectangle of south St. Louis County wedged between the River Des Peres and Route 66. She won a squeaker over her opponent in the April 5 municipal election, Dorothy Berry, 15 votes to 13. Mackenzie’s population, according to the U.S. Census, is 133, all of them white.

http://www.stlamerican.com/news/editori ... g1.twitter

quincunx
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by quincunx » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:23 pm

HB1632 passed the House!

quincunx
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by quincunx » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:07 am

StlToday - Different neighborhoods, one community

http://www.stltoday.com/news/opinion/di ... e5220.html

quincunx
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by quincunx » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:36 pm

WK Times - Parting Words From A Popular Mayor

One thing that will not be getting McDonnell's support is the "Better Together" movement urging consolidation of local municipalities.

"They want to make St. Louis County and St. Louis City all one, and they want to get rid of the individual communities and have it just one big city," McDonnell said. "It is something that both I and (frequent nemesis) Gerry (Biedenstein) – and I think all the people in Kirkwood and Webster – would fight because it would mean we would lose our identity."

http://www.westendword.com/Articles-Fea ... Mayor.html

debaliviere
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by debaliviere » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:01 pm

quincunx wrote:WK Times - Parting Words From A Popular Mayor

One thing that will not be getting McDonnell's support is the "Better Together" movement urging consolidation of local municipalities.

"They want to make St. Louis County and St. Louis City all one, and they want to get rid of the individual communities and have it just one big city," McDonnell said. "It is something that both I and (frequent nemesis) Gerry (Biedenstein) – and I think all the people in Kirkwood and Webster – would fight because it would mean we would lose our identity."

http://www.westendword.com/Articles-Fea ... Mayor.html

Kirkwood is fine. But do we need Oakland, for example?
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Follow me on Twitter: @downtownstlbiz
Visit my Downtown Business/Real Estate Blog

dbInSouthCity
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by dbInSouthCity » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:09 pm

Mayor makes a good point...it would be silly to get rid of places like Kirkwood, Clayton, Brentwood, WG, Maplewood.

moorlander
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by moorlander » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:21 pm

Lose their identity like Soulard, Central West End, La Square, and St. Louis Hills? C'mon. Neighborhoods or wards can still have their identity and some type of community group running things.

olvidarte

Unread post by olvidarte » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:35 pm

Agreed Moorlander.

I think the "we'll lose our identity" argument is just a cover for "we'll lose our autonomy/fiefdom" or something similar....small minds, not looking at the bigger picture....I think the "we'll lose our identity" argument is designed to pull on the heartstrings and manipulate.

Something else that strikes me about the comments above is It's not ok to get rid of places like Kirkwood, etc. but it is okay to erase lesser know municipalities? Who makes the determination of what community measures up and who doesn't? It's way too subjective.

Just make everybody a district, ward, neighborhood, whatever. You won't lose the flavor and character of your favorite place and we'll gain the benefits of being a unified region.

chaifetz10

Unread post by chaifetz10 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:11 pm

There are many places that are obvious candidates for disincorporation or merging: Champ, Country Life Acres, Mackenzie, Glen Echo Park, Bellerive, Westwood, Vinita Terrace, Huntleigh, Twin Oaks, AND Kinloch all have populations less than 450 people.

St. Louis has individual residential buildings with populations higher than this. That's insane.

dbInSouthCity
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by dbInSouthCity » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:16 pm

moorlander wrote:Lose their identity like Soulard, Central West End, La Square, and St. Louis Hills? C'mon. Neighborhoods or wards can still have their identity and some type of community group running things.

Apples and Oranges. Those were never independent cities.