Retail Rally: What's Next For Downtown St. Louis?

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
First unread post1214 posts
Obviously, I would love to see Wasabi stay downtown but I switched to Mizu about a year ago. I just think the quality is better.

Also, if anyone sees updates on the Drunken Fish development in the landing, please post updates here. I follow Laclede's Landing on Twitter, they've been posting about it lately. I just really want this to succeed.
As Wash Ave loses a restaurant with Wasabi closing, there's been two new restaurant openings in the past month. Hamburger Mary's opened 1 month ago and has been going strong, at least from what I've seen walking by. I've only been in once, definitely didn't feel like I was in my own neighborhood, it was so busy in there. Sen Thai pulled the paper down off the windows over the weekend to "reveal" their ongoing renovations. Definitely much more thorough than I was expecting. The stated on Facebook that they're aiming to open this week. Yes, they are about two weeks behind schedule and yes, this is just a downtown relocation but it's still great news from Wash ave. Prime 1000 was a bit too antiquated for what I'd like to see downtown become. This move allows Sen Thai to have a more visible location as well as catching Convention foot traffic.
Washington between 10th and 11th now has Mango, Mizu, Caruso's, Dapper Gents, and Stanley's. Now we just need to find a tenant to fill the old Dubliner space.
How's Flamingo Bowl doing these days? Haven't been there in a while. Hope it's still a popular draw.
stlgasm wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:41 am
How's Flamingo Bowl doing these days? Haven't been there in a while. Hope it's still a popular draw.
I live Downtown and whenever I walk by, it's always got a good amount of people in there.
STLhistoryBuff wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:02 pm
stlgasm wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:41 am
I live Downtown and whenever I walk by, it's always got a good amount of people in there.
Same. I live upstairs so it's a pretty reliable bar spot. It seems to do well drawing in people that probably would have ended up at Plagers.
Sen had its soft opening at lunch today. I was not able to make it, but hope to soon.
It appears Flamingo does fine. It’s a great asset on Wash Ave. Very consistent and welcoming.

Crushed Velvet opened in the old Side Bar space recently as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anyone know what's going on with Kinn (Fork & Stix) at M/X? Hopefully it's still a go,
^ FWIW, there is signage up and looks close to opening. It has been moving the past few months from what I can tell walking by.
Rascal Flatts bar opening at MX. Looks like this could be the 2nd location (others in the works). I am surprised we are getting one of the first expansions but it is nice to see. I think it should do well. The convention crowd I am sure will enjoy it.

https://nextstl.com/2018/03/rascal-flat ... -downtown/
To echo my own comments and others' comments on the article:
1: Anxious to know which retail space they'll use. 7th Street would be a step towards Amos Harris's 7th street corridor vision. There' some space left over down by Locust that the Y didn't use but the pedestrian traffic down there is sparse to say the least.
2: PBR and Tin Roof pull in a lot of the country music crowd. I have a feeling this will too. Between this and Hamburger Mary's, we could see some bar hopping going on on eastern Wash Ave. Yes, even in STL, gay bars and country music bars can attract the same clientele.
^ i'm very curious about location, too, especially if Kinn is still a go. how much space did BMO Harris take up on the back side?
They’re taking the 10,000 sf of what’s left of the 2nd floor above Porano, Taze, and CBW.
^ thanks! so do you know how much space might be left for commercial/retail space?
Whoa, wasn't expecting that. The staircase pretty much just leads straight into the movie theater. Maybe the direct access to the parking might help them. And wasn't there a mention of sidewalk seating somewhere?

EDIT: I guess I never realized that this was leasable space above Porano:

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 12.25.50 PM by Alex Price, on Flickr

I'm actually pretty excited about this now. That will be a really cool view down Washington. I'm going to have to eat here on occasion.
It's a block away from where I work, I'm really excited about this. It really is great to see that area so crowded with pedestrian traffic at friday dinner time.
Looks like Kiin is now open at the M/X... 7th Street side.
Looking forward to trying it.

Hope we can get some more retail vs. the revolving door of restaurants.
bwcrow1s wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:42 am
Looking forward to trying it.

Hope we can get some more retail vs. the revolving door of restaurants.
I've only been in STL for 3.5 years now. I know there was a restaurant in the Porano spot before but I don't know of any other closed restaurants at MX. There were two retail spots, one was basically a filler until they could find a tenant who would pay full price for the space and the other was a women's apparel business.
^ Takaya Japanese was in the Porano spot; I think your're right there have been no other closures at least that I can think of.... in fact it seems to be a pretty solid place to plop your restaurant.

Trova Gifts is the retail spot that closed and where Kiin is now; the other retail spot was The Collective of a few small designers/artists, etc.... I think they were offered a spot out at one of the outlet malls in the beautiful Chesterfield Valley but didn't last long. Anyway, yeah it is frustrating we don't have more shops and think this is something Downtown STL should work on... I'd probably focus on the warehouse district for a bit of a cluster for boutiques/small biz types.
Yes, I guess we have a fashion incubator downtown now, right?

I still think it would have been really cool to do something with the first 2 floors of Arcade. Those would be small storefronts with affordable leasing rates and would be able to incubate a variety of retail startups. I guess what we have right now isn't bad though, just.. uninspired. Especially when so many WU students seem to just be taking online courses for graduate studies.
MircoSun has had a 25% store closing sign for about 6 months now but also has "we are hiring" sign. :oops: :)
^ I noticed it was still open last time I was down that way... my memory is vague, but I think they may have said when the announced they were closing that they'd still be doing online sales but I assumed that meant they'd close the Wash Ave. location. Anyway, odd.

Elsewhere, I see downtown Detroit is going to be getting an H&M. Put that one down as a good candidate for opening in the city, but most likely in CWE.
^ is there even an available commercial space in the CWE large enough to hold an H&M?
^ you may be right for existing space... there probably should be some decent space in the new Lindell building but not sure if enough for an H&M. But tbh I was thinking for the Foundry, tho I guess that's Midtown and not CWE.