The Dollar Store

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
warwickland

Re: The Dollar Store

Unread postby warwickland » Thu May 03, 2012 9:02 pm

The more of a "normalized" grain of retail we can have downtown, the better...with the bonus overlay of local businesses.
DRINK SCHLAFLY - BREW ST. LOUIS JOBS

newstl2020
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted
Location: Past Tower Grove South Resident - Future Soulard Resident

Unread postby newstl2020 » Thu May 03, 2012 9:17 pm

As posts got deleted, I will re-post from yesterday.

Kevin stated this would likely be in the area of 10-12K sq ft. Nothing to sneeze at. Will be great to have this chunk of space off the market. Always good to see retail vacancy rates decrease.

(Also, good to have you on the forum, Kevin. Please keep up the contributions, the insights are greatly appreciated.)

kbshapiro

Unread postby kbshapiro » Thu May 03, 2012 10:05 pm

My pleasure. Anytime anyone has a question about retail, please feel free to ask.

Correct, the store will be a normal sized dollar store. As soon as the lease is finalized, I'll let you all know. The other big deal I've been discussing will be public within a week or so.

Why were the threads deleted???

newstl2020
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted
Location: Past Tower Grove South Resident - Future Soulard Resident

Unread postby newstl2020 » Thu May 03, 2012 10:33 pm

^I believe Innov8ion said something about a forum update. Couldn't recover Wednesday's posts.

midcoaststl

Unread postby midcoaststl » Mon May 14, 2012 11:11 am

kbshapiro wrote:First national restaurant chain to locate downtown in a while. I'm thinking the last one to be maybe Hooters. Also, its not Olive Garden or any restaurant located anywhere in St. Louis Meto Area.

Yes, lot at the NE corner of Wash Ave and 18th. Some lot owners will sell, some hold. Depends on the owner. Depends on where the lot is

Flying Saucer in Cupples Station?

stlien

Unread postby stlien » Mon May 14, 2012 3:19 pm

I forgot my earlier reply was deleted. 10k sq ft would be huge for a downtown dollar store. Im thinking the Park Pacific garage.

Alex Ihnen
Life Member
Life Member

Unread postby Alex Ihnen » Mon May 14, 2012 11:30 pm

Not to get back on Dollar Store bashing at all, but the Park Pacific was marketing as relatively high-end apts, I doubt that tenants would love to see a Dollar Store go into the parking garage, but who knows.
A cynic is not merely one who reads bitter lessons from the past, but one who is prematurely disappointed in the future.

dredger
Life Member
Life Member

Unread postby dredger » Tue May 15, 2012 12:09 am

^ maybe not, but I'm sure a few starving SLU law school students might see this as a big plus in the near future.

I can't help notice how many Dollar Stores have popped up after Katrina going back and forth to a project I have in Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana. They are literally becoming the all in one mini marts/grocery store/pharmacy and everything in between for the little communities down Hwy 23. In a lot of respects they are better organized, cleaner and carry more stuff/better selection than some of the old mom and pop stores I run across in my travels.

Alex Ihnen
Life Member
Life Member

Unread postby Alex Ihnen » Tue May 15, 2012 10:25 am

^ So perhaps I'm not as familiar with Dollar Stores - though I've shopped in my fair share - but, grocery store? pharmacy? I don't think so, not from what I've seen.
A cynic is not merely one who reads bitter lessons from the past, but one who is prematurely disappointed in the future.

debaliviere
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby debaliviere » Tue May 15, 2012 10:52 am

Alex Ihnen wrote:^ So perhaps I'm not as familiar with Dollar Stores - though I've shopped in my fair share - but, grocery store? pharmacy? I don't think so, not from what I've seen.

I think it varies depending on the chain. Some are closer to lower-end, but full-service, retailers, while others are more like the "everything's a dollar"-type stores.

Family Dollar and Dollar General do offer groceries. I don't believe Dollar Tree does.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Follow me on Twitter: @downtownstlbiz
Visit my Downtown Business/Real Estate Blog

downtown2007
Life Member
Life Member

Unread postby downtown2007 » Sun May 20, 2012 8:26 pm

I still don't think downtown and a Dollar Store are a good match. A drug store like a Walgreens or CVS would be a better fit.

kbshapiro

Unread postby kbshapiro » Sun May 20, 2012 10:00 pm

Couple things to think about....

A) both major pharmacy chains (for now), want nothing to do with downtown St. Louis

B) outside of pharmacy related products (which Culinaria carries), what's the difference between Dollar Tree/ Family Dollar/ Dollar General and Walgreens /CVS??

C) why say negative things/ not support a national retailer than wants to come to downtown St. Louis which brings Jobs/investment, blah blah blah???

D) have you thought of the positive repercussions of a Dollar Store succeeding in downtown St. Louis???

E) MOST IMPORTANTLY...CVS/WGs job is to make money for shareholders, if they felt they could make money downtown, they'd be here. So support everyone you can until you get the retailers you want.

Going to bed, good night,

Kevin

irocktheparty2000

Unread postby irocktheparty2000 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:55 am

It's all about perception. Even though these dollar stores are starting to pop up in more affluent areas, the perception still associates them with neighborhoods that have a struggling economic class. You just don't think of a dollar store being in or around a development that sells high-end condos/lofts. It seems a lot of people on this thread are in support of a dollar type store coming downtown. I wonder if that thought would change if the store were in the bottom of their own building?

I'm still formulating an opinion but it would probably just have to be experienced to see the true outcome of what it might do to/for the area. And more specifically, what impact it might have on a specific building that has residential condos/lofts above it. It has the potential to be positive but equally has the potential to be negative. Take the Robert's Tower for example. If that would have been finished with high dollar condos, you think a dollar store would have further enhanced that development or even the area? I think not in a million years. In fact, they would have probably lost a lot of potential buyers had that happened. But a dollar store closer to, or on Broadway located deeper into the CBD, then my answer would probably be more to the positive side.

pat
Expert Member
Expert Member

Unread postby pat » Mon May 21, 2012 8:59 am

Its just one dollar store. The fate of the Downtown economy will not be made or broken by this store.

Put it in and see what happens.
Last edited by pat on Mon May 21, 2012 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

debaliviere
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby debaliviere » Mon May 21, 2012 10:20 am

kbshapiro wrote:E) MOST IMPORTANTLY...CVS/WGs job is to make money for shareholders, if they felt they could make money downtown, they'd be here. So support everyone you can until you get the retailers you want.

I don't know why they feel they can't. I've visited downtowns similar to ours in which there are multiple CVS and Walgreens stores, and not too long ago we had two Walgreens here in downtown STL. It seems to me that there's money to be made by whichever one wants to step up and build a store first.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Alex Ihnen
Life Member
Life Member

Unread postby Alex Ihnen » Mon May 21, 2012 3:57 pm

debaliviere wrote:
kbshapiro wrote:E) MOST IMPORTANTLY...CVS/WGs job is to make money for shareholders, if they felt they could make money downtown, they'd be here. So support everyone you can until you get the retailers you want.

I don't know why they feel they can't. I've visited downtowns similar to ours in which there are multiple CVS and Walgreens stores, and not too long ago we had two Walgreens here in downtown STL. It seems to me that there's money to be made by whichever one wants to step up and build a store first.

I agree that it's not as simple as they don't want to have anything to do with downtown St. Louis. Downtown Cleveland has two CVS stores and is not substantively different than downtown St. Louis - though I'd guess they have fewer residents, fewer employees and fewer conventions.

stlien

Unread postby stlien » Mon May 21, 2012 5:47 pm

debaliviere wrote:

Most internal real estate guys at retail companies utilize a formula to figure out if a particular location works for them. If it doesn't fit their criteria, they automatically throw it out. Some city officials/developers/brokers are very proactive in their recruitment of national companies and can persuade them to a new location that was initially off of the retail company's radar. With that said, proper retail recruitment is a team effort.

downtown2007
Life Member
Life Member

Unread postby downtown2007 » Mon May 21, 2012 9:34 pm

Yep they look at stats and not the actual site.

So are you saying that the city or the partnership is not proactive in trying to woo retail?

rbeedee

Unread postby rbeedee » Mon May 21, 2012 10:48 pm

downtown2007 wrote:Yep they look at stats and not the actual site.

I would imagine the stats include other chain stores located within x feet (CVS loves to put a store right next to a Walgreens, right?). Maybe getting a Dollar Store downtown will make it look more attractive, statistically, to other bandwagon-jumping stores and we'll see more interest in chains leasing space downtown.

Before you know it we'll be complaining over our CRISPY HONEY-CHIPOTLE CHICKEN CRISPERS® about how downtown has become a soulless neighborhood overrun with generic chains :wink:

stlien

Unread postby stlien » Mon May 21, 2012 11:12 pm

downtown2007 wrote:So are you saying that the city or the partnership is not proactive in trying to woo retail?

From my experience, the city waits for retailers to call them. The partnership is pretty much the same. The partnership doesn't even have an up to date list of available retail and office spaces.

Alex Ihnen
Life Member
Life Member

Unread postby Alex Ihnen » Mon May 21, 2012 11:59 pm

stlien wrote:
downtown2007 wrote:So are you saying that the city or the partnership is not proactive in trying to woo retail?

From my experience, the city waits for retailers to call them. The partnership is pretty much the same. The partnership doesn't even have an up to date list of available retail and office spaces.

Yep.

southsidepride
Life Member
Life Member

Unread postby southsidepride » Wed May 23, 2012 3:54 pm

I thought of this thread on Saturday when I was in Kansas City as I noticed there is a Dollar Tree in the middle of the Westport neighborhood

Granted it's within a shopping center a couple of blocks away from the heart of the more historic part of the district. But still that's considered a pretty desirable nabe of KC and my friends that live there said they never thought of it as out of place.

stlien

Unread postby stlien » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:14 am

kbshapiro wrote:Correct, the store will be a normal sized dollar store. As soon as the lease is finalized, I'll let you all know. The other big deal I've been discussing will be public within a week or so.

Looks like they chose Soulard.

gone corporate
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

Unread postby gone corporate » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:36 pm

^Any more info you could share? What site have they chosen? Is it in Soulard proper or in Kosciusco? Thanks
I'll do what I can to help y'all. But, the game's out there, and it's play or get played. That simple. - Omar Little

debaliviere
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby debaliviere » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:17 pm

gone corporate wrote:^Any more info you could share? What site have they chosen? Is it in Soulard proper or in Kosciusco? Thanks

The Bread Co. strip mall: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4780&start=90

--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Return to “Retail, Restaurant, and Business Development”