Prime 55 Rest.& Lounge 6100 Delmar

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
Suace - The Scoop: Breakfast is focus at soon-to-open Cabana on The Loop -

http://www.saucemagazine.com/blog/?p=38028
okay, despite the generic name it sounds like it's going to be good. i'm definitely gonna give it a try.
Closed. Thinking there simply needs to be more people living nearby to make this spot successful and to activate the Rosedale building etc. Be a big help if the empty lot across the street got developed.
Hopefully that lot has the Loop's first TOD (Trolley Oriented Development).
^ I hope sooner rather than later. I know many other cities have seen mixed use projects break ground before the streetcar is even done. I wonder if we will see the same. Currently I don't know if any projects in the pipeline on Delmar, maybe this will change the closer we get. Delmar is definitely the most dynamic street in the city, in my opinion. Delmar Station also has the potential to be the best example of TOD in the region. Surprised Wash U or SLDC hasn't already gathered land around the station and established a TIF district.
goat314 wrote:
^ I hope sooner rather than later. I know many other cities have seen mixed use projects break ground before the streetcar is even done. I wonder if we will see the same. Currently I don't know if any projects in the pipeline on Delmar, maybe this will change the closer we get. Delmar is definitely the most dynamic street in the city, in my opinion. Delmar Station also has the potential to be the best example of TOD in the region. Surprised Wash U or SLDC hasn't already gathered land around the station and established a TIF district.

Welcome to St. Louis, where things move at a glacial pace. Last city to get Uber, and proud.

It's hard to comprehend the lack of investment in this city since the 1960s. The entire real estate boom of the 2000s brought exactly 1 new building to downtown, and it didn't even get finished until about a year ago.

In any other city, people would be breaking ground with new buildings. Cortex is the only area where things are actually moving, but that's because this area's moneyed interests are all working together.

As it is, I'm very worried about this trolley's success at both getting any meaningful ridership and spurring actual development in this corridor. If tourists are going to actually be riding this thing down Delmar in its current state, it's probably going to have the reverse of the intended effect, and they'll probably be scared away in the future.
^ I'm not a totally pessimist. I think we will see TOD, but I do agree that the glacial past is need for concern. Sounds like a great investment opportunity. Probably the best spot in the region to build new mixed use housing. Maybe some developments are in the works, but it definitely is odd we haven't heard anything public yet.
^ Fortunately two of the most "blighted" properties along the stretch are being taken care of; the old Hardware store for the youth art program and the old Delmar High for the Loop Trolley maintenance facility. Actually there really won't be too much blight to turn off visitors. And with some better leasing of existing retail and a few Gotham-type infill projects things will be looking pretty good.

Edit... a downside I don't see overcoming anytime soon is the huge Metro facility that kills street level activity.
jsbru wrote:
The entire real estate boom of the 2000s brought exactly 1 new building to downtown, and it didn't even get finished until about a year ago.

Bummer of a post jsbru. There's actually been a lot more investment than you think. By my count there were at least five major new buildings downtown in the 2000's representing well over a billion in investment: OPOP Tower, Federal Reserve Building Expansion, Busch Stadium, Lumiere/Four Seasons, and Renaissance Grand. Also, the Eagleton was completed in 2000 and (on the smaller scale) the new Gateway Transit Center opened last decade. That's not to mention the billions invested in loft and hotel conversions.

goat314 wrote:
Surprised Wash U or SLDC hasn't already gathered land around the station and established a TIF district.

Nothing's been announced, but Wash. U. is poised to continue its significant investment and involvement in the Loop, namely with Loop Lofts Phase II, the Church's Chicken site, and eventually the Kelley (or Dobbs Tire).
What if anything might work at 6100 Delmar?
I'd like to see a 3a.m. dive bar. (Sorry Skink-D residents).

When The Delmar Lounge closed the owner said, "When we started we were at the far east end. It's not the place for a 3 a.m. bar now." 6100 is now the east end, and seems like a good spot for such a place. Something a little more laid back and low-end than what you get at Pin-Up.
Won't get backing of Delmar Commercial Committee, nor signatures from residents.

The Palomino is your only hope!
A Vietnamese restaurant called Dream and Hope is coming to this location.
Don @stlfoodman

The former Vietnam Style restaurant in @TheDelmarLoop, is being transformed into Prime 55 Rest.& Lounge. The owners are two moguls in the local entertainment industry—Orlando Watson of RockHouse Entertainment LLC and Tony Davis, former manager of the St. Lunatics and Nelly