Prime 55 Rest.& Lounge 6100 Delmar

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
Much to my surprise a place called Horseshoe House has opened at the corner of Rosedale and Delmar. It serves the Springfield IL culinary delight the horseshoe. I will partake post haste.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_sandwich

http://www.saucemagazine.com/blog/?p=8067
I visited Horseshoe House today and the food is a unique item that otherwise you can't find in St. Louis, a reason all by itself to visit the Loop. The owner says that her father owns the Springfield location and that she came to St. Louis when she was at SLU. The meal and dessert items are tasty and filling so come hungry. :D There is also home-brewed root beer; and soon she says the location will have its liquor license approval. So as of now, the hours are 11 am to 9 pm, 7 days.
Ate there last night. The Horseshoe was par excellence. Nice folks working there. The decor leftover from Modai is a bit fancy for a horseshoe place, but whatever. They said they're having a hard time getting their liquor license. Pi has one just down the street. Come on, what's the hold up City? I'm very glad to have more activity around Rosedale and want these businesses to thrive.
I ate there today and really enjoyed my horseshoe. I also got to try their dessert horseshoe. It was also great. I'll definitely be going back to try the other horseshoes on the menu.
Closed
^ that corner is a business killer–guess there's still too much dead space around it. Gokul seems to be doing alright across the street though.
Does anyone know if anyone else is looking to use that space?

My friend, who used to tend bar there, says the problem is that the WashU kids are afraid to go east of Pi.
I ate there about a month ago, and we were the only ones in the place. Literally.
throatybeard wrote:
Does anyone know if anyone else is looking to use that space?

My friend, who used to tend bar there, says the problem is that the WashU kids are afraid to go east of Pi.

Right now, that's not a spot for a restaurant. IMHO a dive bar would be great there. Something along the lines of CBGBs, the old HiPointe, Hair of the Dog etc.
Is the hookah lounge in the basement still open? The one time I went there it was packed.
No, it was pretty popular but then more Hookah places opened up, I believe there are three other places now which I'm sure hurt their business.

Tavolo V and Pita Pit certainly have helped get people further east. A big help would be something across the street in the empty lot. And remodeling and occupying the Rosedale storefronts. And the empty Dobbs, etc.

I think that end really needs more people living nearby to patronize the businesses and add life. I'm glad the TOD plan is all about that.
quincunx wrote:
No, it was pretty popular but then more Hookah places opened up, I believe there are three other places now which I'm sure hurt their business.

Tavolo V and Pita Pit certainly have helped get people further east. A big help would be something across the street in the empty lot. And remodeling and occupying the Rosedale storefronts. And the empty Dobbs, etc.

I think that end really needs more people living nearby to patronize the businesses and add life. I'm glad the TOD plan is all about that.

Maybe it's just the times I go, but the Pita Pit doesn't seem to be getting tons of business. (Which is sad.) Does anyone else have similar/different thoughts and observations?
framer wrote:
I ate there about a month ago, and we were the only ones in the place. Literally.

I never ate there, but yeah, I was in there every Tuesday (half off the bar) and there were seldom more people in there than me, Ms Sharon, and maybe two or three other people on the other side of the bar. Good Lord, were those stools uncomfortable. They seemed to do a little business in the summer with the hookah stuff, but other than that...

(PS, does anyone know Ms Sharon's last name? She's just Ms Sharon).
If Pita Pit is having trouble, the first place I would look is the abysmal choice of a name. I walk past there all the time, and think "pit? Yeah, um, no."
throatybeard wrote:
If Pita Pit is having trouble, the first place I would look is the abysmal choice of a name. I walk past there all the time, and think "pit? Yeah, um, no."

Pita Pits are all over North America.
dweebe wrote:
throatybeard wrote:

Really? Ugh. So great, we have another crappy chain in the Loop.
throatybeard wrote:
dweebe wrote:
throatybeard wrote:

Really? Ugh. So great, we have another crappy chain in the Loop.

Really? Ugh. Great; another one of those "No chains! Only local in The Loop!" posts.
Back to the topic of the thread, has anyone had a Horseshoe sandwich?
roger wyoming II wrote:
Back to the topic of the thread, has anyone had a Horseshoe sandwich?

If ever you're in Edwardsville a few places there serve them. And I swear City Diner used to have it on their menu in the old location.

At least for me it was one of those dishes you have out of curiosity and never order again.
dweebe wrote:
At least for me it was one of those dishes you have out of curiosity and never order again.

So not an awesome business plan, eh?
It's more niche than Cheesology. Not enough people from Springfield to keep it going, perhaps. I still wanna try the dish sometime. Any other restaurants around here offer it?
innov8ion wrote:
It's more niche than Cheesology. Not enough people from Springfield to keep it going, perhaps. I still wanna try the dish sometime.

So how bout this business plan.... broaden the base by opening The Springfielder featuring horseshoe sandwiches and cashew chicken. "Whether you're from the Land of Lincoln or The Ozarks, you'll feel right at home!"
So there's a bunch of different furniture in 6100 Delmar now.
This location is now Cabana on Delmar Restaurant.
^ how generic.