St. Louis Breweries

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
First unread post678 posts
SouthCityJR wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:54 am
That is the most St. Louis style sequence of events. Business flees the City for the burbs...City ends up with one less business, one razed building, and one more unnecessary parking lot.
I don't know that "flees" is the right word. Their current location was sh*tty. Couldn't find a building, so they moved to a nice suburb. I mean, they do have a business to run, and they will do very well in Webster Groves. Less competition, also. On the Hill/Cheltenham/Whatever you want to call it, they were up against UCBC, 2nd Shift, Civil Life and Bottleworks. I think it was a smart move on their part.
This is a great business mover for them. Excellent. And remember, they are a business, they don't owe St. Louis anything.
^Right. Except their gratitude for apparently being a great place to start their business and get them to their next step.
While I wish Modern the best, this makes it pretty likely I won't make it out to patronize them often if ever. To be fair, I hadn't been to the Manchester location either. But I did drive by it the other day and note that I needed to make a plan to visit. I'm not inclined to plan a trip to Webster Groves however.

But so I don't sound like the world revolves around me or even the city, I do realize there are plenty of people in Webster Groves who will happily visit them. And that's great.
They're going to kill it....Billy G's-like....
[quote=whitherSTL post_id=287340 time=1506090389 user_id=10525]
This is a great business mover for them. Excellent. And remember, they are a business, they don't owe St. Louis anything.
[/quote]

Agreed. I see Modern doing very well in Webster. I think I'm most excited for the rooftop partnership with one of the hottest and best restaurants in all of StL.
I'm sure they will do very well. Webster is a lovely, affluent suburb, that is in many ways surprisingly underserved when it comes to restaurants, etc. That's clearly been a big factor in Olive + Oak's success, so I bet that will translate into success for Modern as well.

Some of us just don't like seeing businesses move away. I bet lots of folks in O'Fallon were mad that O'Fallon brewery moved to Westport. Lots of folks in New Haven were probably mad when 2nd Shift moved to the City as well.

How great would it have been for this brewery to anchor a key stretch of Gravois or a revitalizing part of Fox Park? Could have been huge.

I agree they "don't owe the City anything" but that's also how we end up with many of our suburbs (Sunset Hills, Ellisville, Chesterfield, etc.) expressing anti-City views and trashing City/County merger plans. Of course they don't owe the City anything, but I wish more business owners felt they do owe the City something. Ultimately though, it's a free market and it's up to those of us in the City to make it harder for businesses to make choices like this. I can't imagine a hip brewery in the City of Chicago would relocate to a wealthy suburb like Winnetka or Glencoe.
bwcrow1s wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:58 am
SouthCityJR wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:54 am
That is the most St. Louis style sequence of events. Business flees the City for the burbs...City ends up with one less business, one razed building, and one more unnecessary parking lot.
I don't know that "flees" is the right word. Their current location was sh*tty. Couldn't find a building, so they moved to a nice suburb. I mean, they do have a business to run, and they will do very well in Webster Groves. Less competition, also. On the Hill/Cheltenham/Whatever you want to call it, they were up against UCBC, 2nd Shift, Civil Life and Bottleworks. I think it was a smart move on their part.
I bet they could've found a good space in the city. But they are going to make a killing in WG. This was probably too good of a deal to pass up. I prefer to see breweries open up in the city, but this is the next best thing. I live nearby and will probably be a regular there.

Olive + Oak and The Block have really reinvigorated the Lockwood strip. Olive + Oak is opening a second restaurant in the old bookstore, and Half & Half just opened in the old First Watch.
SouthCityJR wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:29 pm
I'm sure they will do very well. Webster is a lovely, affluent suburb, that is in many ways surprisingly underserved when it comes to restaurants, etc. That's clearly been a big factor in Olive + Oak's success, so I bet that will translate into success for Modern as well.

Some of us just don't like seeing businesses move away. I bet lots of folks in O'Fallon were mad that O'Fallon brewery moved to Westport. Lots of folks in New Haven were probably mad when 2nd Shift moved to the City as well.

How great would it have been for this brewery to anchor a key stretch of Gravois or a revitalizing part of Fox Park? Could have been huge.

I agree they "don't owe the City anything" but that's also how we end up with many of our suburbs (Sunset Hills, Ellisville, Chesterfield, etc.) expressing anti-City views and trashing City/County merger plans. Of course they don't owe the City anything, but I wish more business owners felt they do owe the City something. Ultimately though, it's a free market and it's up to those of us in the City to make it harder for businesses to make choices like this. I can't imagine a hip brewery in the City of Chicago would relocate to a wealthy suburb like Winnetka or Glencoe.
St. Louis is also nothing like Chicago. So I don't think we can compare the two situations. Not to mention, I doubt many hip Chicago breweries are in a location you wouldn't even know was there driving by it, in an industrial zone. It wasn't like it was in a part of town that it was going to revitalize anyways. If was leaving the grove, grand, Soulard, downtown, etc then I might feel differently. It sounds like they found a place in the city they wanted to be and it didn't work out. The city has plenty of breweries anyways (especially near its current location as mentioned above). One less isn't going to matter much. Webster could use one. Plus, it is better than it moving to St. Charles or O'Fallon. I am just happy they will be in what looks like a good space that isn't all that far away.

If they end up doing really well they could always put a second location back in the city later.
Not completely breaking news, but passed by Wellspent Brewery today. Looks like it's still coming along.

Here's their twitter with some updates. Looks like they are going to be a somewhat smaller operation?

https://twitter.com/wellspentbeer
Looks like Civil Life expansion is getting closer - Renderings look good

https://nextstl.com/2017/10/civil-life- ... ove-south/
Looks like Downtown CBD will have no brewery after the end of the year

Alpha Brewing closing downtown brewery, moving to Tower Grove South
http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/d ... e-latest-1
As a TGS resident, I'm pumped. As an StL beer supporter I'm glad to see another local brewery grow. As a downtown supporter, I'm not thrilled. The owner's comment about parking concerns hurts. StL concerns with parking (whether real or imagined) never seem to go away.
Alpha had a bad location. Most people had no idea it was there. There's a little sign that says "Alpha Brewing This Way -->" and that was it.

Parking had nothing to do with this. There are two surface lots directly North across the alley of their Downtown location. I think if they would have had a larger sign out front or had been facing Wash Ave, it'd be a different story.
There's still plenty of brewries nearby. Whether or not the official Board of Alderman designated place they call "downtown" (tm) has a brewery or not is of little concern. Schlaffly and Morgan Street are both downtown in the more conventional sense and Four Hands is nearly so. You could call it Soulard, I suppose, but the highway makes it feel more downtown. Or worse, widowed. Charleville is probably technically within the official limits of downtown. But maybe what you want is one along Washington or Olive east of Tucker, but not so far east as the landing. Something within walking distance of loft central? I could see that, but are there enough people that would walk there to make it work? Mm. Interesting question, I suppose. But I hope Alpha does well in any case. Wish they were a little closer to Grand, but there's probably better space to be had off Fyler.
Uninspired location. With all the awesome real estate with character in the city, they chose that?

Enjoy the noise complaints on a fairly residential street, I guess.
I don't know how often I'll be walking over there these days, but I'm nonetheless fairly excited that I could. I'm very pleased with the location.
bwcrow1s wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:27 am
Uninspired location. With all the awesome real estate with character in the city, they chose that?
Not as attractive as Schlafly or Earthbound, but if they want to move into what is a pretty ugly space and improve upon it even a little, I'm all for that.

I was hoping for Rockwell to do that with their building on Vandeventer as well, but that seems to have stalled.
^ yeah, I haven't heard anything on Rockwell in some time; looks like Dinzler still owns the property but I don't think they are operating there still. Along with the food truck thingy that fell through, this stretch of Vandeventer was poised for a millennial retrofit but it looks like maybe not quite yet. (Also, an aerospace assembly facility right there will be shutting down... something like 50 employees iirc).
gopherlou wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:14 am
bwcrow1s wrote:
Not as attractive as Schlafly or Earthbound, but if they want to move into what is a pretty ugly space and improve upon it even a little, I'm all for that.
Those two and the original Urban Chestnut are really the only breweries with cool buildings. Due to the size of the equipment involved, brewing must lend itself better to more modern/open warehouse space.
^And AB in Soulard.
Rockwell had a split with its original funder, so they had to start over basically with every from funding to architects
debaliviere wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:49 am
gopherlou wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:14 am
bwcrow1s wrote:
Those two and the original Urban Chestnut are really the only breweries with cool buildings. Due to the size of the equipment involved, brewing must lend itself better to more modern/open warehouse space.
Agree. This spot is still within walking distance of the other bars/restaurants along Morgan Ford and will help add to that corridor. Honestly, this spot is better and less of an island than the other TGS brewery, Civil Life, but that place is still also awesome and really fun. Around the country, many quality breweries are in not so hip locations due in part to (as you mentioned) the sheer size requirements. Here is the location of Green Flash Brewery, one of the better known craft brewers in the country. It's located in a suburban office park type setting outside San Diego. I'd take Alpha's new location over this one any day.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/6550+ ... 17.1777776
Dinzler moved all of their cars out of the lot 2 weeks ago and is emptying the building (we're across the street from them) - and from what I've heard, they should hand over the building and start construction pretty soon.
Have they heard of Lemp, or either Falstaff breweries?