St. Louis Breweries

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
First unread post724 posts
The amount of local and regional brewers is hitting an impressive number, I thought local beer deserves its own thread.

Probably the best place to start is just listing them-

Local-

Schlafly
Trailhead
Highlands
Hill
O’Fallon
Amalgamated
Six Row
Square One
Urban Chestnut
Civil Life
Morgan Street
AB Inbev
Buffalo

Regional-

Crown Valley
Charleville
Augusta
Tin Mill
Grafton

St. Louis beer brewed elsewhere-

Cathedral Square
Lemp
Griesedieck

National Chain –

Granite City

Departed-

Mattingly
Route 66
Baccus (was open for like 3 months in the late 90's)

Did I miss any? Seems like a lot for a region that the self defined beer snobs look down on

I like German Lagers, so I lean towards Tin Mill, Amalgamated makes a pretty good helles though. In ales I like Six Row's "Whale". Want to try Hill's as I have heard good reviews
Last time I talked to the Cathedral Square brewer they were brewing the draft stuff on Lindell.
Beer City wrote:
I like German Lagers, so I lean towards Tin Mill, Amalgamated makes a pretty good helles though. In ales I like Six Row's "Whale". Want to try Hill's as I have heard good reviews

The O'Fallon Cask Conditioned Ale is one of the finest pints in town. I've only ever seen it at Dressel's. Has anyone seen it anywhere else?
I really like the Stable's Marzen, O'Fallon Wheach, Mattingly's Ryder and of course, Schlafly Pale Ale. I drank nothing but Griesedieck on a recent trip to the Royale. Good stuff!

I really like the McGurk's Ale, but I am not sure who brews it. Anyone?

Our brewing heritage would come full circle if a local brewer would decide to rehab and start brewing in either the old Falstaff/Griesedieck brewery or the Lemp Brewery. I would love to see history repeat itself, in one of those amazing places. How cool would it be for those 2 buildings to house brewers, as well as AB. It would create such an amazing atmosphere. I can only dream at this point!
It would be great if someone would open a brewery for-hire in one of those places. They're huge, but some Schlafly is currently brewed in Wisconsin (some O'Fallon as well, I think). It would be great to have the capacity here for the extra demand.
Maybe under the new ownership Schlafly will expand again here in St Louis.
lukethedrifter wrote:
Maybe under the new ownership Schlafly will expand again here in St Louis.

I think that's a given even under current ownership.
DOGTOWNB&R wrote:
I really like the McGurk's Ale, but I am not sure who brews it. Anyone?

Most likely Schlafly.
I have it from an architect that has been working with the Griesediecks that they are planning on moving production back to St. Louis (City) soon. The firm was trying to get them to take over one of our abandoned breweries, but I think they decided on a different location. Sorry for the sketchy details, but I really think that it will happen.
Nice - keep us up-to-date when you learn more!
Alex Ihnen wrote:
It would be great if someone would open a brewery for-hire in one of those places. They're huge, but some Schlafly is currently brewed in Wisconsin (some O'Fallon as well, I think). It would be great to have the capacity here for the extra demand.

Steven's Point is a large contract brewer who does the Schlafly cans and most of the O'Fallon stuff now.

Dan Kopman posted on STLhops about the canning line and why they did it in Steven's Point - it comes down to available capital for expansion and the huge cost of it. They are committed to St. Louis and the city, though, so I wouldn't rule out a longer term investment in a canning facility somewhere in St. Louis. I'd love to see the former grocery store on South Broadway (visible from 55) turned into the Schlafly Canworks.
jmstokes wrote:
Alex Ihnen wrote:

Steven's Point is a large contract brewer who does the Schlafly cans and most of the O'Fallon stuff now.

Dan Kopman posted on STLhops about the canning line and why they did it in Steven's Point - it comes down to available capital for expansion and the huge cost of it. They are committed to St. Louis and the city, though, so I wouldn't rule out a longer term investment in a canning facility somewhere in St. Louis. I'd love to see the former grocery store on South Broadway (visible from 55) turned into the Schlafly Canworks.

I would love it if Schlafly evolved into a Boulevard-like operation.
If I couldn't have my dream of the former breweries (Lemp & Falstaff) churning out beer or at least cans or beer related 'anything' , a great location I'd love to see turned into a Schlafly facility is the old grocery store on Jefferson near 44 and the Square. What a boost that would give to that area.

I still want those amazing buildings rehabbed and turned into something. I was down near the Lemp complex last week enjoying some Gus's products. I took a stroll down by there and was surprised to see how much activity goes on at the Lemp Complex or 'Lemp Business Park'. Many vehicles entered, exited and were parked there. I was looking for the resale shop 'Junque' (maybe mispelled), but I could not find it. Anyone know how to get there and where in the complex it is located?
Junque's entrance is off Broadway. A yellow door I think...if it's open there should be bicycles with signs on them. Thanks for the reminder about this place - I haven't been in quite a while.
DOGTOWNB&R wrote:
If I couldn't have my dream of the former breweries (Lemp & Falstaff) churning out beer or at least cans or beer related 'anything' , a great location I'd love to see turned into a Schlafly facility is the old grocery store on Jefferson near 44 and the Square. What a boost that would give to that area.

I still want those amazing buildings rehabbed and turned into something. I was down near the Lemp complex last week enjoying some Gus's products. I took a stroll down by there and was surprised to see how much activity goes on at the Lemp Complex or 'Lemp Business Park'. Many vehicles entered, exited and were parked there. I was looking for the resale shop 'Junque' (maybe mispelled), but I could not find it. Anyone know how to get there and where in the complex it is located?

If it's the one I've been to, the easiest access was from S Broadway. When they were open they stuck out a sandwich board and opened the door. That's been a few years though.
Add Perennial Artisan Ales to the list! :D

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/d ... 2bc8b.html
This is great news! Now he needs to find a good location somewhere within the city limits.
There is no micro brewery in the Loop that i'm aware of.
East Loop would be cool.
Oooh. How about the old Delmar Station Wabash RR building? That would be bad ass.
i know 1500 Washington is listed for $800k. i've often fantasized about owning it.
Lately I've been wondering if an urban winery or microwbrewery with an outdoor setting (similar to the Augusta Brewery) overlooking the Mississippi is feasible.

Most of the area along the riverfront is industrial, however two recent events have made me wonder if there isn't an area where this could be a potential

With the animal shelter at Gasconade and I-55 closing as the pets will move to the new Stray Rescue facility on Pine St. downtown

and

the apparent relocation of the SLPD's shooting range that had been located just south of the ACC property could there be sizeable hillside area with great views of the Mississippi River easily accessible to I-55 on the market in the future?

hmm
There is a nice lot in the 5100ish block of S Broadway that would be sweet for such a venue. At least I think one of those lots is undeveloped.
Now c'mon, we all know that this belongs in The Grove! :)