Bevo Mill - 4749 Gravois Avenue

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
Isn't it prime time for someone to redevelop the Bevo Mill? What a great space and the area is buzzing.

I think the mill itself is still okay - I was there a few months back for a rehearsal dinner, and I guess it's been fairly successful as a venue for private events. It was nice, the food was decent, etc.

There is a building across the street from it that has always fascinated me though - it looks like it was a tavern, and the sign in front of it reads "Little Bevo." It's a really beautiful little building that compliments the surrounding architecture, and I think it's vacant. I can't believe someone hasn't opened a bar there.

DeBaliviere wrote:
There is a building across the street from it that has always fascinated me though - it looks like it was a tavern, and the sign in front of it reads "Little Bevo." It's a really beautiful little building that compliments the surrounding architecture, and I think it's vacant. I can't believe someone hasn't opened a bar there.

It's a mystery to me that someone hasn't discovered this space. That building looks like a little slice of Bavaria- and it'd be a great place to hoist a few beers! :wink:

It's one of several city buildings that's on a long and growing mental list- a list of places I'd love to buy and renovate if only I had a boatload of $$$$$...

shannon wrote:
I heard a rumor (from a friend having her wedding reception there) that the Bevo Mill is planning on re-opening for limited hours on weekends for breakfast and lunch...or something to that effect.

Wow! I didn't know Bevo Mill was closed! I hope they can get it reopened. It is such a cool landmark for South St. Louis. You have to go far and wide to find such a building on an ordinary commercial street.

Expat wrote:
Wow! I didn't know Bevo Mill was closed! I hope they can get it reopened. It is such a cool landmark for South St. Louis. You have to go far and wide to find such a building on an ordinary commercial street.

I am glad to see they are trying to re-open for breakfast and lunch. I found out the hard way that they were closed one day. We used to go for their "brunch" once in awhile, and the last time we tried to get in a sign on the door read that they were only open for "special events". It looked like they just had a wedding reception the night before.

I used to go to Bevo Mill with my family every year around Christmas. I don?t think there is more beautiful restaurant around.

Yeah, after we moved to STL, we went every New Year's Day for their brunch...we crowned it a permanent tradition the first year we went there. When they closed I thought I was going to die. We still haven't found a replacement venue that stacks up. (Suggestions welcome, BTW.)

It was funny, when we went to preview the site for the reception, my friend's dad asked why they weren't open as a regular restaurant anymore. The lady said, "When was the last time you ate here?"

"I don't know, 10 years ago I guess."

And with a knowing smile and a nod, she said "Exactly."

Sad but true. Should they re-open, be sure to go out and support it.

shannon wrote:
It was funny, when we went to preview the site for the reception, my friend's dad asked why they weren't open as a regular restaurant anymore. The lady said, "When was the last time you ate here?"

What a great comment. It's telling because it applies to the city as a whole:

"What happened to the city? It used to be so nice. . . . . ."

shannon wrote:
The lady said, "When was the last time you ate here?"

Wow, that is so true......

shannon wrote:
I also heard a rumor (from a friend having her wedding reception there) that the Bevo Mill is planning on re-opening for limited hours on weekends for breakfast and lunch...or something to that effect.

I just caught a quick mention on FOX2 this morning... Bevo Mill will be open for breakfast and lunch again starting this morning. They didn't mention days/hours, so I am not sure of anything other than that.

** UPDATE: I just called them at (314)481-2626 and they said they will be open 7-days a week from 7:00 AM - 2:00 PM.

Better make your Mother's Day reservations today!

Steve Patterson's blog features a photo of Little Bevo, one of the collest little buildings you'll ever see. Somebody fix this place up!

^ I wish I could buy and renovate that place! Oh, and I also dig the Smart car in the picture!

Man, that photo is SO staged! I like it though. :D

Framer wrote:
Man, that photo is SO staged! I like it though. :D

Staged? Hardly. After talking with the couple for a good half hour in the Bevo parking lot they finally had to leave. I was walking back toward the Bosnian festival and caught them still on Morganford in traffic. I just got lucky with the cute Little Bevo in the background.
I must have missed the press coverage of the event. How was the festival?

I drove by Bevo Mill this morning and the brick building next to it has been torn down, much to my dismay. I'm sure it'll be a parking lot for the restaurant. That's a good thing because we all know there aren't enough parking lots at Gravois and Morgan Ford *sarcasm*

(I posted it here because Bevo Mill and 4719 Gravois are owned by AB)

I drove Morganford from Chippewa to Bates the other day.

What a sad stretch of road. The potential is so great that it put me in a foul mood all day.

Why didn't they tear down the shuttered Churches Fried Chicken?
http://suburbanjournals.stltoday.com/articles/2009/01/07/south/news/doc4964f5a67300b983043598.txt

I had no idea the brewery still owned it after all these years.

I'm surprised Brito didn't have it demolished and sell the wood and glass from it ;)
The Central Scrutinizer wrote:
I had no idea the brewery still owned it after all these years.

That surprised me as well- I knew the history of the place but I assumed the brewery sold it decades ago. :shock:

Hell, if it makes y'all feel any better, I didn't even know this.

I've known for a week, but couldn't find anyone to confirm it. I thought someone had made a mistake in the details. I was shocked to find out that it was basically just given away to the city.

Does the brewery still own the Stork's nest on Virginia and the Feasting Fox building on Meremec/Grand?

Al Smith's Feasting Fox has been privately owned for several years now. I'm not sure about the Stork's Nest, but I think that is privately owned.