Amazon HQ2 in STL Effort

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
First unread post769 posts
^^Eh, seems more like the general canned responses that probably any similar inquiry would get. Showing any favoritism towards a particular city would diminish their negotiating power.
I'm surprised there was any response at all.
Right. Even if it wasn't Bezos, it was nice for them to read (even if they skimmed) and respond. I certainly wouldn't expect them to express great interest.

But it would have been really cool if they did.
St.Louis1764 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:21 pm
If St.Louis pulls this off it'll easily be the biggest pick up ever in its entire history almost like that lone winner of the power ball
Kansas City has a legit chance and is more centrally located than St.Louis is and as equally a major tech hub.
Heres a list of 20 cities that have the potential to pull it off.
1.New York City
2. Chicago
3. Denver
4. Minneapolis
5. Dallas
6. Pittsburgh
7. Kansas City
8. Boston
9. Philadelphia
10. Detroit
11. Charlotte
12. Cincinnati
13. Atlanta
14. Austin
15. Oklahoma City
16. Cleveland
17. Houston
18. Baltimore
19. Memphis
20. Nashville
2 Wild Card Cities
1. San Antonio
2. St.Louis

Then again i really have no idea but once announce it'll be fun to know if i picked any one of these cities or if i didn't.
Good Luck STL
St. Louis is more central than KC to the US population center.

How about offering the land along the river, where the new stadium was going to be, for new construction. And the AT&T building and Famous Barr buildings -- all within walking distance of each other -- for space. And also within walking distance of some other cool things, such as the upgraded Arch grounds, Busch Stadium, Kiener Plaza, and City Garden. Take them to City Museum.

Easy links to the Airport, which I'm sure would get those International connections if Amazon located here. St. Louis is Boston without the traffic nightmares downtown.
gary kreie wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:10 pm
St.Louis1764 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:21 pm
If St.Louis pulls this off it'll easily be the biggest pick up ever in its entire history almost like that lone winner of the power ball
Kansas City has a legit chance and is more centrally located than St.Louis is and as equally a major tech hub.
Heres a list of 20 cities that have the potential to pull it off.
1.New York City
2. Chicago
3. Denver
4. Minneapolis
5. Dallas
6. Pittsburgh
7. Kansas City
8. Boston
9. Philadelphia
10. Detroit
11. Charlotte
12. Cincinnati
13. Atlanta
14. Austin
15. Oklahoma City
16. Cleveland
17. Houston
18. Baltimore
19. Memphis
20. Nashville
2 Wild Card Cities
1. San Antonio
2. St.Louis

Then again i really have no idea but once announce it'll be fun to know if i picked any one of these cities or if i didn't.
Good Luck STL
St. Louis is more central than KC to the US population center.

How about offering the land along the river, where the new stadium was going to be, for new construction. And the AT&T building and Famous Barr buildings -- all within walking distance of each other -- for space. And also within walking distance of some other cool things, such as the upgraded Arch grounds, Busch Stadium, Kiener Plaza, and City Garden. Take them to City Museum.

Easy links to the Airport, which I'm sure would get those International connections if Amazon located here. St. Louis is Boston without the traffic nightmares downtown.
I've actually always seen St. Louis as a little Boston..
Naturally I hope the leaders who are putting together the bid for HQ2 select an area in the city with the obvious realization that the entire region (including St. Clair) will see direct benefits from a stronger core and that an emphasis is placed in the proposal itself to appeal to a greater cause, such as the re-investment in a part of America that has seen little compared to more expensive states on the Coasts or down South. It seems that Bezos has certain liberal leanings and I would take a similar approach as the NGA proposal with the Obama admin, frame it as urban renewal of a once downtrodden city on the rebound.

This is the biggest opportunity for this area in my lifetime and I can only hope that we can get together with the state and offer a top notch financial package that can compete with anyone. This is our moonshot.
I have contacted St. Clair County's ED office. Trying to see if they can maybe partner with STL's bid. Would anyone else be willing to contact them as well? I feel the more people that reach out to them the more likely they are to not torpedo our chances.
According to CNN, Mayor of Chicago has already been in contact with Amazon multiple times. Amazon wouldn't confirm that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What was the deal MO and labor offered for 777X?
addxb2 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:47 pm
According to CNN, Mayor of Chicago has already been in contact with Amazon multiple times. Amazon wouldn't confirm that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All talk from Rahm Emmanuel.
'[email protected]'

Email Terry Beach and ask them to work with St. Louis on the Amazon proposal.
pdm_ad wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:39 pm
Naturally I hope the leaders who are putting together the bid for HQ2 select an area in the city with the obvious realization that the entire region (including St. Clair) will see direct benefits from a stronger core and that an emphasis is placed in the proposal itself to appeal to a greater cause, such as the re-investment in a part of America that has seen little compared to more expensive states on the Coasts or down South. It seems that Bezos has certain liberal leanings and I would take a similar approach as the NGA proposal with the Obama admin, frame it as urban renewal of a once downtrodden city on the rebound.

This is the biggest opportunity for this area in my lifetime and I can only hope that we can get together with the state and offer a top notch financial package that can compete with anyone. This is our moonshot.
This was a way to possibly phrase it. If they were concerned about political situations in the US one way to solve it is make areas that foster it more prosperous and connected to the outside world. Look at the political trendlines in ares that have had such growth and they tend to drift more liberal over time while areas that have not gone the other way in their populations.

Also yes the powers that be in the region would need to know that its large enough that even if the main part isn't in their jurisdiction it will have net benfefit to them anyway. Some of the employees could call their place home and/or family members of employees could work in their area. Other jobs would be created connected to it in different areas since these people would shop, go eat somewhere, and have various activities in different areas. Other facilities could be added to support this facility like various logistics which would be in different areas of the metro.

One factor that I wonder may be something thats considered, could business and other ties to Seattle play a role meaning that if a metro is more connected to there have a better shot? Since if it is it could tilt a bit in our favor since it does seem there is more economic and social connections relative to population size than other metros in the region.
Okay, let's brainstorm. What do we think our region can offer Amazon as an incentive package?
gary kreie wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:10 pm

I will piggyback on Gary's comments for my two cents. Gary brings up the one great advantage St Louis has is ready made space in ATT & Railway exchange downtown for a strong urban oriented campus in all American City.

Otherwise if Amazon is looking for new digs to me BPV hands down is a great site with the Ballpark/Cupples Warehouse District literally next door along with Scottrade/Peadbody/Union Station a short walk away, A lot of hotel rooms along with a new hotel tower at BPV, Great metrolink & freeway access not too mention the new Arch grounds as well as pending design competition for Chouteau Greenway. St Louis could win with a legit BPV proposal and the state incentives that need to come with the competition

Not sure on travel part but STL being a Southwest Focus city is a big plus vs cities without hubs like STL. Chicago hands down will have the advantage of O'hara but I think what is even more scary and why Chicago is front runner is the fact that Boeing might have very well been on some of those calls involving Chicago Mayor. Speculation on my part but assumed Chicago's Mayor already has Boeing trying to convince Amazon to come join them in downtown Chicago
Amazon is not coming to St. Louis. They've probably already got their top 2-3 prospects and are soliciting bids to make the cities or city they really want "play ball". St. Louis has a horrible national image in most circles regardless of race or class. I love St. Louis and know it has potential, but we have some real issues we have to fix before we can even begin to think about securing major headquarters like this. While metros like Minneapolis, Denver, Dallas, Atlanta, Seattle, etc. are aggressively expanding their mass transit systems, following best practices, and actively trying to improve their livability, St. Louis wallows in complacency and aims to brainwash it's citizenry that "everything is going to be alright". Like I said before, St. Louis has about 5-10 years to merge city and county, create a new vision for itself, or this may be a lost century for the region.
Just imagine how much office rents will go up with Amazon expanding nearby. If Amazon were to take over ATT, for example, they'd still need room for 45k more employees. They'd be gobbling up every building and empty lot from Wells Fargo to AB. I don't see nearby businesses cheerleading for Amazon to locate nearby.

I don't see neighboring business that would potentially compete for office space cheerleading for Amazon to locate nearby.
Want to know what Amazon will be looking for in a 2nd HQ? Get to know their Seattle HQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... yXs8B0csDA
jeff Bezos says "I Iike this place, it has soul." Well gosh darn it if there's one thing St Louis has it's soul!
moorlander wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:27 pm
jeff Bezos says "I Iike this place, it has soul." Well gosh darn it if there's one think St Louis has it's soul!
Seattle is about as soulful as Denver or Salt Lake City.
St. Louis is going to need some luck to land this. I'm always convinced by this board that we make sense but luck never seems to be on our side. Did we beat out anyone, other than the metro-east, to retain NGA?

Make a competitive proposal sure but burn some sage too while you're at it. See if Danforth Center can grow you a field of four-leaf clovers.

I was wondering what would be next year's storyline, to keep St. Louis on edge, once the city-county merger got tabled for yet another study.
I'd just point out that before Microsoft and Amazon, Seattle didn't have a great national image either.

I doubt things like image or state social politics will play much, if at all, into Amazon's decision.

St. Louis has an excellent case from a business standpoint. Amazon is an internet and logistics company. AWS is gigantic and probably is the most important aspect of Amazon right now. St. Louis has extensive internet connections with almost every Tier-1 internet backbone out there. TeliaSonera, Level3, Verizon, CenturyLink, all of them are in downtown St. Louis.

Amazon will prefer that over places that don't have those connections, or a place like KC, which has Google Fiber, which is run by their direct competitor in the cloud space.

Amazon is also a shipping/logistics company. We have extensive land connections with both highways and rail. We are a major port. We have two airports that can handle a ton of extra capacity.

Then there are business costs. Amazon themselves mentioned that they will be considering local prevailing wages in their decision. Many people have mentioned, and it is true, that tech wages here are low compared to almost everywhere else in the country. Amazon could get away with paying people less in St. Louis. Maybe 15-20k less per employee than in Seattle, the west coast, the east coast, or even Denver, Texas, and Chicago.

That's a huge, f***ing huge deal. Honestly, that by itself is what could bag it for us. That's a business-model-changing savings.

Then there is land, and financial incentives that the city, county, and state could offer.

I don't want to say it's a sure thing, but assuming the regional proposal at least stays competitive with what other cities are offering, I think we have a very good chance.
"More than 20% of employees walk to work and over 15% live in the same zip codes out buildings"
Cities are going to be offering up a whole generation of first born children to get this development.
Don't know if it will come to the Midwest/Rust Belt, but I think these would be the strongest candidates

1. Chicago
2. Minneapolis
3. Detroit
4. Pittsburgh

These are cities Amazon already has tech offices in and I think generally have more of what they are looking for. Unfamiliar Saint Louis would be such a big risk for them in terms of of getting our act together. I mean, they're asking about things like bike lanes and we don't even have a bikeshare program.
Think MO's low support for its state universities will be a liability? We'd need a lot more college grads to feed Amazon.