Amazon HQ2 in STL Effort

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
First unread post766 posts
If St.Louis pulls this off it'll easily be the biggest pick up ever in its entire history almost like that lone winner of the power ball
Kansas City has a legit chance and is more centrally located than St.Louis is and as equally a major tech hub.
Heres a list of 20 cities that have the potential to pull it off.
1.New York City
2. Chicago
3. Denver
4. Minneapolis
5. Dallas
6. Pittsburgh
7. Kansas City
8. Boston
9. Philadelphia
10. Detroit
11. Charlotte
12. Cincinnati
13. Atlanta
14. Austin
15. Oklahoma City
16. Cleveland
17. Houston
18. Baltimore
19. Memphis
20. Nashville
2 Wild Card Cities
1. San Antonio
2. St.Louis

Then again i really have no idea but once announce it'll be fun to know if i picked any one of these cities or if i didn't.
Good Luck STL
^ Curious to know why you think St. Louis has a rather low chance relative to others?

One wild card I could see is its done outside of the US for tax purposes.
The AMZN orgasm has no limits. Remember, 20-25 cities will not win and be sad come announcement day.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/07/new-ama ... sense.html

CNBC thinks the Midwest is perfect. I think STL is perfect (little biased). This could be a way for the City & County to put in a UNIFIED effort and lay the groundwork for greater cooperation.

And back to the article, screw Chicago! :twisted:
Cortex.

Although I don't think the region or the state have the resources to realistically compete for this, economic incentives-wise. Its gonna be a multi-state bloodbath.
framer wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:46 pm
Cortex.

Although I don't think the region or the state have the resources to realistically compete for this, economic incentives-wise. Its gonna be a multi-state bloodbath.
I say we honestly throw everything we have at this. Give them the damn deed to the city.
I'd like to see Gone Corporate weigh in here. He mentioned previously that Lambert was in the running for their logsitics HQ which eventually went to Cincy. Hopefully that effort created relationships with AMZN.
DogtownBnR wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:40 pm
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/07/new-ama ... sense.html

CNBC thinks the Midwest is perfect. I think STL is perfect (little biased). This could be a way for the City & County to put in a UNIFIED effort and lay the groundwork for greater cooperation.

And back to the article, screw Chicago! :twisted:
Right. The article points to Chicago, but it's kind of paradoxical. It mentions Midwestern cities that are AFFORDABLE and have space to build a NEW SKYLINE. That does not sound like Chicago at all. To me Amazon, would get lost. I feel they are wanting to be somewhere where they stick out. Almost like the GM headquarters in Detroit. (Maybe less of an ominous design though).
wow, already at three pages!

my 2c is there's little chance we'll land this but it is a good opportunity for leaders to put in a proposal and hopefully learn some things that can result in smaller wins down the road.
St.Louis1764 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:21 pm

Heres a list of 20 cities that have the potential to pull it off.
1.New York City
2. Chicago
3. Denver
4. Minneapolis
5. Dallas
6. Pittsburgh
7. Kansas City
8. Boston
9. Philadelphia
10. Detroit
11. Charlotte
12. Cincinnati
13. Atlanta
14. Austin
15. Oklahoma City
16. Cleveland
17. Houston
18. Baltimore
19. Memphis
20. Nashville
2 Wild Card Cities
1. San Antonio
2. St.Louis
I don't disagree with cities on this list expect I don't see how Memphis fits at all. Flight options are really bad and I don't see how they would have the workforce for it. Mass transit is also poor. I can't see any way they would be in the top 30 options.

Oklahoma City I could probably fit into that also but I at least see it as up and coming.

I also am assuming by your list you are not including any west coast options. I am assuming you don't think they would put it in another west coast city?
St. Clair County putting in their own proposal...

http://www.bnd.com/news/local/article171752427.html
[quote]Amazon asked state and local leaders to coordinate their plans and submit one proposal per eligible region, which will require wrangling potentially competing influences and presenting a unified vision.[/quote]

It's like they're speaking directly at us....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 641276001/
^ Exactly why I knew St. Louis wouldn't make it. St. Clair is doing this to spite the Missouri side and both sides know St. Louis has no chance either way, this just guarantees it.
I could see the biggest local hurdle could be the state government and its legislation in relation to social views would turn them off and would likely eliminate most places as well.
Someone, please reach out to St Clair County...
jshank83 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:23 pm
St. Clair County putting in their own proposal...

http://www.bnd.com/news/local/article171752427.html
Dumb as ****.
Chalupas54 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:48 pm
Wonder if this is related to the NGA decision?
imperialmog wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:49 pm
Chalupas54 wrote:
Most likely. However, even if they submit their own bid, it doesn't eliminate STL. STL could easily make the pitch MO focused, and completely cut out IL. IMO, IL's budget woes etc may become problematic.
It'd be most beneficial however if they joined the St. Louis bid.

As long as St. Louis, MISSOURI submits a unified bid, we should be okay.
imperialmog wrote:
Chalupas54 wrote:
Of course it is. They stand no chance against either Chicago or St. Louis if they go it alone.

Also re your point about the state of Missouri and social views, I'd say if that was a factor, some of our biggest competition would be eliminated as well (Charlotte, Atlanta, Austin/Dallas/Houston, etc). I doubt Amazon would discard those cities (and us) over state level social issues.
Well, I did get a response to my email to Jeff Bezos. Somewhat.

He or someone monitoring his account forwarded it to the AmazonHQ2 account, and I receive a brief, polite response signed Holly, Head of WW Economic Development. That would presumably be Holly Sears Sullivan, who holds that role.

Of course, even then it could just be someone in her office.

Not the most encouraging response, but also more than I really expected.
^ not encouraging because it was noncommittal? or because it suggested that they're not interested in St. Louis?
imperialmog wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:39 pm
I could see the biggest local hurdle could be the state government and its legislation in relation to social views would turn them off and would likely eliminate most places as well.
I don't think its our biggest hurdle, but I do think all things being equal cities with red meat red state legislatures will be at a disadvantage to otherwise equal contenders. Amazon won't want to be caught up in bathroom bills or anti-immigrant stances, etc.
Aesir wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:56 pm
imperialmog wrote:
Chalupas54 wrote:
Of course it is. They stand no chance against either Chicago or St. Louis if they go it alone.

Also re your point about the state of Missouri and social views, I'd say if that was a factor, some of our biggest competition would be eliminated as well (Charlotte, Atlanta, Austin/Dallas/Houston, etc). I doubt Amazon would discard those cities (and us) over state level social issues.
If it was a factor it basically would eliminate everything not the northeast except Chicago. But then the cost of living and land issues pop up in those markets. It all will depend on what factors are important.
urban_dilettante wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:46 pm
^ not encouraging because it was noncommittal? or because it suggested that they're not interested in St. Louis?
Non-commital.

Here's the brief contents of the response:

Justin, thank you for your thoughtful email and suggestion. We look forward to working with the City of St. Louis throughout this process. It is always great hearing from the citizens of a community.
Thank you!
Holly

Amazon.com
Head of WW Economic Development
imperialmog wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:55 pm
Aesir wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:56 pm
imperialmog wrote:

If it was a factor it basically would eliminate everything not the northeast except Chicago. But then the cost of living and land issues pop up in those markets. It all will depend on what factors are important.
Exactly, if these big corporations gave a damn about social issues we wouldn't be seeing the extreme growth we are seeing in places like Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, Florida etc. Good weather and low taxes attracts businesses and residents.