Amazon HQ2 in STL Effort

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
First unread post773 posts
I don't know if he'll read it. If he does, I don't know if it'll register, but I just sent a passionate email directly to Jeff Bezos. I'll leave the numbers and negotiating to our leaders, but a little emotion never hurt anything.
jstriebel wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:10 pm
I don't know if he'll read it. If he does, I don't know if it'll register, but I just sent a passionate email directly to Jeff Bezos. I'll leave the numbers and negotiating to our leaders, but a little emotion never hurt anything.
Valiant effort, however, it will probably be deleted. They have set up a specific email for these queries.

Also, STL is currently the only city that has come out very publicly for the project...
Bottle district would be perfect.
--Convention Center Metrolink
--Interstate 70
--Near T-Rex, lockerdome, start-ups downtown.
--Several blocks of space to freely build on without having to demo.
--15 minute ride to Lambert.
Chalupas54 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:45 pm
jstriebel wrote:
Valiant effort, however, it will probably be deleted. They have set up a specific email for these queries.

Also, STL is currently the only city that has come out very publicly for the project...
I just saw an article an hour or so ago that listed a bunch of cities commenting on it. Nashville, Tulsa, Hartford, Pittsburgh, Chicago and others I can't remember off hand.
Kansas City is now in the running.

They can be easily eliminated for two reasons:

1. Airport a disaster.

2. MO will pitch STL. Eric Greitens is apparently already on board with the STL team from what I'm reading.

Can I just point out that I am very impressed with the immediate response of our regional leaders...I believe Amazon announced this morning and Lyda Krewson was already forming a team less than an hour after. This does not seem like past proposals. STL finally seems very serious...
jshank83 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:55 pm
Chalupas54 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:45 pm
jstriebel wrote:

I just saw an article an hour or so ago that listed a bunch of cities commenting on it. Nashville, Tulsa, Hartford, Pittsburgh, Chicago and others I can't remember off hand.
Nashville: No room to build. Expensive market. TN has already showered Bridgestone with tax incentives. I don't picture them being able to do it for Amazon.

Tulsa: No. So many reasons why.

Hartford: Most likely not. Expensive, not much room to build. Also, proximity to NYC and Boston may not prove ideal.

Pittsburgh: a real competitor. They are definitely in the running, however again there is not much room to build in PIT. Also will be difficult to see if PA would pitch PHL or PIT.

Chicago: Possible, however an expensive market. It also does not seem likely that IL would be able to put forward enough incentives to land them, given the budget situation.
I did find it interesting the Cardinals tweeted amazon they have a spot at ballpark village for them. haha
PC Mag suggests KC as #1 location, but probably won't get on short list if international flights are heavily weighed...
https://www.pcmag.com/news/356056/6-cit ... headquarte
Chalupas54 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:41 am
https://twitter.com/LydaKrewson/status/ ... 6596520961

Update. GO LYDA, GO!
She can be Mayor for life if she lands this fish
earthling wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:10 pm
PC Mag suggests KC as #1 location, but probably won't get on short list if international flights are heavily weighed...
Don't know who will support KC though. At the MoEcoDev meeting in STL today, the Mo partnership pretty much agreed to pitch STL as the MO location.
The list is interesting. But one thing they mention as a concern refrenced elsewhere that could be a big hinderence here is political climate in relation to social issues from state politicians. (See refrence with Charlotte and HB2) If that was a strong concern that would eliminate basically everything in this region outside of Chicago and it would end up either there or the NE. (Or possibly Canada)

KC would have the MO-KS political issues possibly there. And the airport reference they are having problems with keeping domestic service much less lack of international lately.
Clearly both cities should be pitched by the state. KC is very strong with logistics and it's an operational HQ. KC's downtown airport is easy access for private jets.
Just spitballing a couple ideas,

Grand Center: Already a nice built environment, but with a lot of open space. Close to interstate and could easily be connected to mass transit via a N/S Grand and or Olive/Lindell Streetcar. It's also close to SLU. Would also have a very positive impact on Midtown Alley. We could also see in infill boom that would extend north of Delmar. Grand Center and Midtown Alley could become the premier neighborhoods in the city.

North Riverfront: Already discussed, but would work wonders for the Landing. Not sure if the Metro stop would be close enough though.

Chouteau's Landing: Very connected to downtown and a lot of open space. The Broadway and 4th Street corridors could become mixed use wonders. Lot's of warehouses closer to the river sitting ready for renovation.

BPV: This project is a lot bigger than BPV, but there is a lot of space to build in the immediate area. The Millennium Hotel site could also be part of this in addition to the empty lots in the Cupples area.

MLS Stadium Site: If Amazon wants to build in a green field while remaining in a city, this is probably the best option that STL has to offer. Lot's of space to build, Metro access, and the beautiful Union Station would be a great centerpiece to the campus.

West Loop/DeBaliviere Corridor: Amazon could singlehandedly complete this corridor, and there is a LOT of space to build. The Loop Trolley would also suddenly have a lot more riders and could justify a higher level of service. Very connected to mass transit. Close to one of the gems of St. Louis in the Loop.

Lemp Brewery: Longshot as it is a bit of an out of the way location, but would still be really cool. Imagine a full renovation of the brewery campus with cool glass towers coming out of the accompanying vacant lots. Lots of room for new construction across Broadway. Cherokee Street is a huge amenity. The N/S Metrolink would need to happen along with a shuttle transport workers from the Jefferson/Cherokee stop.
earthling wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:19 pm
Clearly both cities should be pitched by the state. KC is very strong with logistics and it's an operational HQ. KC's downtown airport is easy access for private jets.
Should be, but they won't. STL will be the pitch. STL is more accessible to most of MO. An HQ in STL would be in MO, where as one in the Kansas City area would probably be in KS. Also, odds are KS would fight MO to get it on the KS side.

This is a non-issue here. STL will be MO's pitch. STL meets all requirements on the list. Kansas City does not.

EDIT: As stated earlier, the MO Economic Development Partnership, as well as Gov Greitens, are already working with St. Louis.
GoHarvOrGoHome wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:24 pm
Just spitballing a couple ideas,

Grand Center: Already a nice built environment, but with a lot of open space. Close to interstate and could easily be connected to mass transit via a N/S Grand and or Olive/Lindell Streetcar. It's also close to SLU. Would also have a very positive impact on Midtown Alley. We could also see in infill boom that would extend north of Delmar. Grand Center and Midtown Alley could become the premier neighborhoods in the city.

North Riverfront: Already discussed, but would work wonders for the Landing. Not sure if the Metro stop would be close enough though.

Chouteau's Landing: Very connected to downtown and a lot of open space. The Broadway and 4th Street corridors could become mixed use wonders. Lot's of warehouses closer to the river sitting ready for renovation.

BPV: This project is a lot bigger than BPV, but there is a lot of space to build in the immediate area. The Millennium Hotel site could also be part of this in addition to the empty lots in the Cupples area.

MLS Stadium Site: If Amazon wants to build in a green field while remaining in a city, this is probably the best option that STL has to offer. Lot's of space to build, Metro access, and the beautiful Union Station would be a great centerpiece to the campus.

West Loop/DeBaliviere Corridor: Amazon could singlehandedly complete this corridor, and there is a LOT of space to build. The Loop Trolley would also suddenly have a lot more riders and could justify a higher level of service. Very connected to mass transit. Close to one of the gems of St. Louis in the Loop.

Lemp Brewery: Longshot as it is a bit of an out of the way location, but would still be really cool. Imagine a full renovation of the brewery campus with cool glass towers coming out of the accompanying vacant lots. Lots of room for new construction across Broadway. Cherokee Street is a huge amenity. The N/S Metrolink would need to happen along with a shuttle transport workers from the Jefferson/Cherokee stop.
Cool ideas. Unfortunately, they are looking for a huge campus. I believe like twice the size of what Centene is doing in Clayton.
Chalupas54 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:16 pm
earthling wrote:
Don't know who will support KC though. At the MoEcoDev meeting in STL today, the Mo partnership pretty much agreed to pitch STL as the MO location.
Curious that the KC pitch tweet tags MoEcoDev as if coming from them as well.
https://twitter.com/KCMO/status/905842611029725184
It largely doesn't matter where in the region this is, it could even go on the east side.

What matters is we get it. 50,000 well paying jobs would be a lifesaver for the entire region like nothing else for.......60-70 years?

But to me, the real kicker for this is the ripple effects. People move to cities/areas for money/jobs. That is why they aren't moving to St. Louis. Our wages are low, there aren't enough jobs.

This immediately changes that. Not just the Amazon jobs themselves, but think about the effect on wages for the entire region.

As someone in tech myself, personally I would never work for Amazon (their wokplace environment is well known as a huge negative in tech circles). BUT, the immediate effect it would have on demand in the region for those skills would be huge. People would all of a sudden HAVE to bump their offered wages up.

STL needs to land this, at all costs. A unified front from city, county, St. Charles, the metro east, and the state needs to happen. Give them tax breaks, municipal owned land, etc.

I honestly don't care where, as long as it is IN THE REGION. City, county, St. Charles, Metro East, doesn't matter. Whatever the strongest bid is, wherever it is, that is where we need to go 100% towards with full force. We cannot afford to blow this due to petty rivalries at all.
earthling wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:38 pm
Chalupas54 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:16 pm
earthling wrote:
Curious that the KC pitch tweet tags MoEcoDev as if coming from them as well.
https://twitter.com/KCMO/status/905842611029725184
They tagged them in a tweet. They literally are in STL (the state's most prominent city) at the moment discussing economics as this broke this morning. They are working with STL first. I'm sure they will work with KCMO, but it is almost for certain that the state would pitch STL if they decide to pitch a state location; which it appears will probably happen.

Even with this, Kansas City faces many more challenges getting onto the short list than STL does. The steaming horse poop pile that is MCI is not doing KC any favors. Not to mention as stated earlier, KS will probably whine to get it on their side of the border. That won't be a problem in St. Louis.

St. Louis already has a major corporate infrastructure- Kansas City does not.
This project is like buying that lottery ticket - yeah I won't win but its fun to dream.... of course someone has to win the lottery

Cities and states are going to throw everything at this - I don't know Amazon's culture good enough to know if they would milk candidates for a lot or if there is some intangible, beyond incentives and basic space demands that they are after.

Having the AT&T building empty might just be an advantage .

Speaking of such - the building immediately to the east of One Bell is a stocky 9 story building built a few years after One, I have been told that it is a telecommunications building, and was designed to be built upon if required, which makes me wonder if AT&T still has use for it or whether remaining operations could be relocated. If so what an amazing incentive
Aesir wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:41 pm
It largely doesn't matter where in the region this is, it could even go on the east side.

What matters is we get it. 50,000 well paying jobs would be a lifesaver for the entire region like nothing else for.......60-70 years?

But to me, the real kicker for this is the ripple effects. People move to cities/areas for money/jobs. That is why they aren't moving to St. Louis. Our wages are low, there aren't enough jobs.

This immediately changes that. Not just the Amazon jobs themselves, but think about the effect on wages for the entire region.

As someone in tech myself, personally I would never work for Amazon (their wokplace environment is well known as a huge negative in tech circles). BUT, the immediate effect it would have on demand in the region for those skills would be huge. People would all of a sudden HAVE to bump their offered wages up.

STL needs to land this, at all costs. A unified front from city, county, St. Charles, the metro east, and the state needs to happen. Give them tax breaks, municipal owned land, etc.

I honestly don't care where, as long as it is IN THE REGION. City, county, St. Charles, Metro East, doesn't matter. Whatever the strongest bid is, wherever it is, that is where we need to go 100% towards with full force. We cannot afford to blow this due to petty rivalries at all.
Agreed. I am very relieved at the response from our regional leaders.
This announcement has achieved it's intended purpose: to elicit an orgasmic response from cities around the US. Cities, now frothing at the mouth, will throw ridiculous deals together to get this. My prediction is AMZN will take these over-the-top offers to DC, ATL, and DFW, and say, "match this offer from, say, Baltimore, and you have our HQ."

Now on the positive side, I have heard from a few insiders that the package STL put together when Boeing was searching for a plant site was startling in how good it was.

So maybe having done that dry run will help our cause.....who knows.
This is where the county says "hey remember when we stepped aside for the NGA and supported the city bid, time to return the favor"
I wouldn't say that it doesn't matter where this gets built. If it goes in St. Charles County or Maryland Heights or some such place, it will just reinforce sprawl and we'll still struggle to recenter our urban core and go down the path of successful regional growth.

However, it would obviously be a huge boost to the region if it landed anywhere here. It might help lure other companies to the urban core even if not them. And it boosts the sails of a struggling region for quite a while longer.

Getting it in the metro would certainly be a win, period. But if we can get it in the city, especially anywhere close enough for local news to call downtown when a crime occurs, then that's a game changer for everyone.
dbInSouthCity wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:08 pm
This is where the county says "hey remember when we stepped aside for the NGA and supported the city bid, time to return the favor"
Let's hope we don't fight. It just makes too much sense for them to come here with 1,000,000 sq feet in AT&T. We also have land just north at the Bottle District to extend and we have who knows how many empty lots Downtown.
Would all aspects of this even be in one location? Since it could be a few different components that due to what they do have different space requirements. If there is logistical and shipping aspects that could be a different place than offices.