Shake Shack opening in the CWE in 2017

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
http://www.shakeshack.com/2016/02/12/me ... s-in-2017/

FEB 12, 2016
MEET US IN ST. LOUIS IN 2017!

Game on! St. Louis is in the cards. Danny Meyer and Shake Shack are proud to announce that in 2017 they will open the first-ever St. Louis Shack, located in the heart of the Central West End on the southeast corner of Euclid Avenue and West Pine Boulevard at 32 North Euclid Avenue.

Shake Shack’s arrival in the Gateway to the West marks a special moment for the burger stand and its founder Danny Meyer, a St. Louis native. Meyer drew inspiration from his birthplace, when he created Shake Shack and its original menu, which includes freshly-spun frozen custard, concretes and griddled flat-top dogs. Situated in a vibrant cultural district and just steps away from the historic Forest Park, the St. Louis location will harken back to Shake Shack’s heritage as a neighborhood park kiosk in New York City’s Madison Square Park.

“I learned the meaning of hospitality while growing up in St. Louis, a lesson that has shaped my life and career,” said Shake Shack founder Danny Meyer. “When I jotted down the first Shake Shack menu, it was my favorite childhood food memories that most inspired me, and I’m thrilled that Shake Shack has at last found a home in my hometown.”

Shake Shack is a critically acclaimed, modern day “roadside” burger stand known for its 100% all-natural, antibiotic-free Angus beef burgers (no hormones added ever), griddled flat-top dogs, fresh-made frozen custard, crispy crinkle cut fries and more. A fun and lively community gathering place with widespread appeal, Shake Shack has earned a cult-like following around the world.

Originally founded by Danny Meyer’s Union Square Hospitality Group (“USHG”), which owns and operates some of New York City’s most celebrated restaurants such as Union Square Cafe, Gramercy Tavern and more—Shake Shack’s fine-dining heritage and commitment to sourcing premium, sustainable ingredients have helped to pioneer the creation of a new “fine casual” category in restaurants.

As part of Shake Shack’s mission to Stand For Something Good, the menu will feature all the Shack classics, as well as select frozen custard concretes featuring local purveyors. Like all locations, the St. Louis Shack will be constructed with recycled and sustainable materials and feature energy-efficient kitchen equipment and LED lighting. Booths will be made from lumber certified by the Forest Stewardship Council, and tabletops will be made from reclaimed bowling alley lanes from New York-based CounterEvolution.

-RBB
they have NO gluten free option FAIL
hebeters2 wrote:

Shakes have gluten?
Generally yes shakes are gluten free IF its a real dairy shake (many are not). Even though a food may contain primarily gluten free ingredients, there is a strong potential for cross contamination. For example, if a restaurant is making your milk shake in the same area that they prepare bread, there is a risk of exposure.
If the shakes are handspun the shake mixer may also have mixed cookies & cream shakes. So, unless you are there when they are not busy & can get an employee to clean the machine, you may want to stay away from the shake.
In addition the Culver's here at my home on the west coast of Florida you can request a Udi's gluten free bun.
I don't see the big deal with having no gluten free option. Does Steak n Shake or In n Out burger have gluten free options?
The fries are relatively safe unless you have Celiacs... shared fryer.

Bailey's Range has a gluten-free bun -- which is also casein-free if you get it untoasted. That's the only one I've found in the city.

Red Robin is the only large chain with a GF bun, to my knowledge.

Buildout continues on A2 GFCF at 1330 Washington. I have no idea what the food will be like.
hebeters2 wrote:

I have two family members with Celiacs so I am sensitive to the needs. But I'm not going to drop a FAIL and tell them not to open. Does every restaurant need to address it?

(And yes, we often go to Baileys.)
The social media hype hit my stuff hard. A number of people, some of whom very rarely venture east of the Galleria, are over the moon excited about a CWE Shake Shack.
Shocked that stlunite hasn't been in this thread to piss all over this news :D
The news is great. The food is over-hyped. Happy now?
quincunx wrote:

It really is just slightly better Steak n Shake. But when you see a list of where Shake Shack is and isn't, having one in St. Louis is good hype.

Shake Shack isn't going to fix the crime rate, stop sprawl or fix our fractured metro government. But any positive for the city is good.
quincunx wrote:

Very. Thank you
dweebe wrote:
quincunx wrote:

It really is just slightly better Steak n Shake. But when you see a list of where Shake Shack is and isn't, having one in St. Louis is good hype.

Steak n Shake def has missed out on urban locations. They opened one near the Ed Sullivan Theater in Manhattan years ago and didn't pivot. Their loss
dweebe wrote:
The social media hype hit my stuff hard. A number of people, some of whom very rarely venture east of the Galleria, are over the moon excited about a CWE Shake Shack.

The Post even put it on their front page today.
I ate at one in Hell's Kitchen. I don't remember it one way or the other.
Debates about over-hyped or similar to local places (Carl's Drive In can vanish from the face of the earth and not fast enough for all I care) is missing the point for me.

Two things strike me:

• A super "hip, trendy" restaurant with locations in NY, Chicago, Austin, Buckhead, DC, Istanbul, Dubai, Moscow, etc is coming to St. Louis. (before expected locations like LA, San Fran, Portland, Seattle, Scottsdale, Twin-Cities, New Orleans, Dallas, Boston etc. Even Indy and The Plaza tend to get these types of places before us.)

• A local 'done well,' is pushing (rather quickly in some ways) to bring his success back home. This is far better than locals leaving and turning their backs forever. I hope this trend continues. (Dorsey...)
Danny Meyer was on 60 Minutes last Sunday. Decent interview. STL gets name dropped a couple of times: http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/d ... 028eb.html

Last update I've heard concerning the STL Shake Shack: http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2017/08/14/ ... estaurant/
I heard rumor from someone that they are also putting one (or thinking of putting one) in the new ballpark village. Not sure how much truth there is to it though. I am curious if anyone else has heard this.
jshank83 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:35 pm
I heard rumor from someone that they are also putting one (or thinking of putting one) in the new ballpark village. Not sure how much truth there is to it though. I am curious if anyone else has heard this.
Washington Avenue needs a Shake Shack IMO. The last place I want to go to eat or drink is BPV unless they bring in more local offerings, not to be a stick in the mud. I also think it would wake up Wash a bit, or at least give it a little confidence back. If nothing else, more foot traffic and people walking by storefronts.
I'd think the next place they'd open a Shake Shack would be far West County. Chesterfield Valley seems like the most logical candidate.
It's my understanding that Clayton/Brentwood is next
wabash wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:24 pm
I'd think the next place they'd open a Shake Shack would be far West County. Chesterfield Valley seems like the most logical candidate.
I don't know. His whole thing is that it's not fast food, but fine casual where you have to get out of the car and interact with people to get it. That description doesn't exactly describe the valley.
STLhistoryBuff wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:33 am
wabash wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:24 pm
I don't know. His whole thing is that it's not fast food, but fine casual where you have to get out of the car and interact with people to get it. That description doesn't exactly describe the valley.
I don't think of it as a county thing but it is basically the same thing as a five guys. They have those in the county. You could put one in Streets of St. Charles. Not saying I think they will, but a setup like that would probably work. They have one attached to a mall in the Chicago burbs.
kbshapiro wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:29 pm
It's my understanding that Clayton/Brentwood is next
That's kinda what they did in Detroit; downtown first followed by a higher end suburb. But I could see a third down the road in the new BPV phase... don't think that would open until 2019 at earliest.
Shake Shack, Porano team up for one-day St. Louis pop-up

"Stepping up its gastronomical tease, Shake Shack is offering its classic burgers and a shake at a downtown pasta restaurant for a few hours later this month. The burger chain is heralding its arrival in the Central West End at the end of the year by partnering with Porano Pasta, 634 Washington Avenue, from 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Oct. 28".