Amazon To Illinois, Is Metro East (Edwardsville) Next?

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
Amazon To Open First Illinois Facility, Hire 1,000
October 28, 2014 8:21 AM

CHICAGO (CBS/AP) – Online retailer Amazon will be building a $75 million distribution center in Illinois, and investing in 1,000 full-time jobs, creating its first facility in the state.

Amazon was conducting a site selection process to find a location for the warehouse, and the Chicago area was being considered, but Vice President Paul Misener suggested it would be just one of possibly several facilities the company eventually would build in Illinois.

“This process is going to take some time, but we want to begin it starting now, with the goal of having a first facility opening up and running here in Illinois next year,” Misener said. “You’re right to say sites. That’s the key part. There will be a variety of facilities around the state, and certainly we’re looking in this area, but elsewhere around the state as well.”

Source
Arch City I've been waiting on an announcement i truly hope its the Metro East it be a win for the region.
With the other warehouses right outside of Chicago in Neosha, WI we might just have a chance at this.
Interesting, the article in STLToday made is seem that it would be in Chicago. So, this is a glimmer of hope.
Is that spec warehouse in Gateway finished? Does it have a tenant?

Also, there's this from the BND (still no idea how to truncate a link, sorry.) Not sure if this will move fast enough to influence a decision.

http://www.bnd.com/2014/10/22/3468402/m ... e-set.html
I looked online to see where there current locations are, and it could make sense to put it in the metro east, due to one north of Chicago. Interesting is that there are so few between the Mississippi and the west coast.
Isn't there a very large perhaps the largest spec building in the region being built right outside of 270 in the metro east? If so maybe thats where Amazon could likely set up shop. Keep fingers crossed
A year ago or so, rumors were flying from the Metro East leadership that a major tenant was planning a 2-million square foot distribution facility at Gateway Commerce Center. The rumor was dialed back in fear that could compromise the project.

Speculation was that it could be Amazon or IKEA looking to build a DF in Illinois. IKEA had planned for the Chicagoland area, but to-date hadn't built it.

From what I recall, the facility would be so big that would sit in two jurisdictions so the tax issues had to be worked out - but that was then. I don't know about now.

Advantages over Chicago
-Cheaper land
-Senator Dick Durbin (Belleville)
-St. Louis' port capacity/America's Central Port in Granite City
-Marine Highways
-Uncongested air ways with close-in available airports
-Interstates
-Available employable workforce
-Gateway Commerce Center with big names such as Dial, Hershey, P&G, Walgreens, Unilever and World Wide Technology.
-$75-million could build a 2-million square foot distribution facility - easily.

Gateway Commerce East's land is ripe and ready for development.

Does a distribution center really need 1000 employees? Am I missing something?
It will be interesting how this plays out, for one I found it noteworthy that it was picked up in a Chicago article first and the reality of at least some distance to serve even the outer reaches of the Chicago Metro area. Second, wasn't a rumor circulating that Amazon was the second possible tenant that Northpark. However, Amazon looking at the Gateway Commerce Center makes a lot more sense than Northpark considering the scale and scope of warehousing needed, a location that serves St. Louis Metro area as well as Southern Illinois, etc. and not to mention the essentially tax free presence given by Metro East government/State of Illinois that made Gateway to happen in the first place.

The other thing that sticks out to me is how Gateway Commerce Center and Chesterfield Valley mirror each other in respects to consumerism. One place is the warehouse/distribution king of and the other is the box store king. Both developed rather quickly on flat, floodplain property utilizing interstate freeway connections and a very heavy dose of tax incentives at the expense of other areas in a slow growth region. The big winners in the region that capitalized on the changing dynamics of retail and consumerism. At the same time, Amazon being able to deliver same day to a big chunk of the area from a warehouse would certainly be disruptive.
I just found out Amazon will be building the new distribution facility in the Chicago area so we miss out on this yet again which isn't surprising downtown Illinois is nonexistent by gone to Illinois politicians. It frustrates me quite a bit. Oh well not anything i can do about it.
dredger wrote:
However, Amazon looking at the Gateway Commerce Center makes a lot more sense than Northpark considering the scale and scope of warehousing needed, a location that serves St. Louis Metro area as well as Southern Illinois, etc. and not to mention the essentially tax free presence given by Metro East government/State of Illinois that made Gateway to happen in the first place.

To argue the contrary, assuming Amazon is interested in a distribution center that could serve the St. Louis metro area, wouldn't Amazon want to be in close proximity to UPS and Fed Ex hubs in Earth City? If Amazon is serious about drone delivery or same day delivery, a Northpark or Earth City location is probably closer to more of Amazon's customers.
you guys really thought Amazon would be in Metro east when you heard Illionois?...there are 10 MM people in Chicago metro area.....the pie in the sky talk on this forum gets me sometimes....
RedOctober wrote:
I just found out Amazon will be building the new distribution facility in the Chicago area so we miss out on this yet again which isn't surprising downtown Illinois is nonexistent by gone to Illinois politicians. It frustrates me quite a bit. Oh well not anything i can do about it.

sirshankalot wrote:
you guys really thought Amazon would be in Metro east when you heard Illionois?...there are 10 MM people in Chicago metro area.....the pie in the sky talk on this forum gets me sometimes....

I'm not going to be as harsh as sirshankalot: but there was no way the first Chicago area Amazon distro center in Illinois would be anywhere south of I-80

south compton wrote:
To argue the contrary, assuming Amazon is interested in a distribution center that could serve the St. Louis metro area, wouldn't Amazon want to be in close proximity to UPS and Fed Ex hubs in Earth City? If Amazon is serious about drone delivery or same day delivery, a Northpark or Earth City location is probably closer to more of Amazon's customers.

You forgot the US Postal Service as their big sorting center is in Hazelwood and they're also aligning tightly with Amazon.
^ Agreed on Chicagoland being first but there also will be an Amazon facility in the Saint Louis region before too long.

btw, Illinois also landed a chemical company that will headquarter in Chicago and have a billion $$ plant where they were looking at that Future Gen proposal.
lol im not that naive but i also thought there'd be a glimmer of hope. It was a no brainer it was going to be in Chicago as it was in the headline of the Chicago news. If Amazon ever does set up shop here probably likely be in Chesterfield maybe North Park if theres land still available by then.
RedOctober wrote:
lol im not that naive but i also thought there'd be a glimmer of hope. It was a no brainer it was going to be in Chicago as it was in the headline of the Chicago news. If Amazon ever does set up shop here probably likely be in Chesterfield maybe North Park if theres land still available by then.

Why? Chesterfield is 30 minutes (or more) from Lambert and there are no UPS/FedEx or USPS distribution centers nearby.
I was thinking the issue was there was already a facility in Kenosha, WI so there was the thought one in Illinois would not be near Chicago as a result.

It would be helpful if the Metro East did get it, since that is an area that could use more development to help the region as a whole. But as someone noted its not a priority in Illinois politics, which I wonder if that fact is a hinderance to the St. Louis metro area as a whole? Since other metro areas don't seem to have this handicap if they are in a 2nd state where the part in a 2nd state is not ignored so much as is the Metro East.
imperialmog wrote:
I was thinking the issue was there was already a facility in Kenosha, WI so there was the thought one in Illinois would not be near Chicago as a result.

It would be helpful if the Metro East did get it, since that is an area that could use more development to help the region as a whole. But as someone noted its not a priority in Illinois politics, which I wonder if that fact is a hinderance to the St. Louis metro area as a whole? Since other metro areas don't seem to have this handicap if they are in a 2nd state where the part in a 2nd state is not ignored so much as is the Metro East.

Amazon: After we open this center in Chicago, we'd like to talk about a downstate location.
Illinois officials: Where?
Amazon: Suburban St. Louis
Illinois officials: Huh? What are you talking about?
Amazon: It's called Metro East. There are a couple of spots we've scouted in the Edwardsville/Collinsville area.
Illinois officials: Something exists south of Springfield?
Amazon: Yes, we'd like to put another distribution center in southern Illinois in a few years.
Illinois officials: Now you're just talking crazy.
imperialmog wrote:

exactly
dweebe wrote:
RedOctober wrote:

Why? Chesterfield is 30 minutes (or more) from Lambert and there are no UPS/FedEx or USPS distribution centers nearby.

Reasoning on Chesterfield cause it seems to have more developable land than say Earth City and North Park however you do have Fenton as well that has the former Chrysler plant land available. Then again Amazon has the money where they could possibly build a facility right in the confines of the airport. I was kind of hoping they would suit up in the Metro East as it would be a big win not only for them but for our region. Speaking of Headquarters are there any larger companies headquartered in the Metro East?
sirshankalot wrote:

If 10-million people really mattered all that much in determining location, Amazon would have a number of facilities there already versus locations in places like Lenexa, KS or smaller regions. And as stated before Kenosha, WS is in the Chicagoland area.

Hell, they don't even have an operation in NYC - although they did just announce Times Square will be home to Amazon's first storefront.
Blurbs from the St. Louis Business Journal

Amazon said to be eyeing St. Louis-area facility: TechFlashes
Jul 31, 2015, 11:09am CDT Updated Jul 31, 2015, 11:15am CDT

Amazon is rumored to be a potential tenant at a new $40 million speculative industrial facility being built by Panattoni and set to open in February 2016.

Panattoni eyes $40 million industrial spec facility
Jul 31, 2015, 5:00am CDT
INDUSTRIES & TAGS Commercial Real Estate, Construction

Panattoni Development Co., the largest commercial developer in the St. Louis region, will soon start construction on a 769,500-square-foot industrial speculative facility in the Lakeview Commerce Center in Edwardsville.
BizJournal is reporting that Amazon is hiring for the facility in Edwardsville.
Makes sense to stay on the Illinois side. Amazon is also on the Kansas side in Kansas City as well. Amazon can still keep shipping to Missouri's main population base without having to charge taxes on it
How many jobs is Amazon adding to the Edwardsville logistic facility i know they are going to be adding about 2,000 at the Edgarton Facility in Kansas City..