Chick-fil-A Expands in St. Louis

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
Chick-fil-A chain expands in St. Louis

By Jeremiah McWilliams

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

08/15/2007

"Eat mor chikin!"

That's the message that Chick-fil-A and its mascot marketing symbols — semiliterate cows trying to increase chicken consumption with misspelled billboard messages — want to send to metro St. Louis.

Last week, the Atlanta-based chain opened a store in Chesterfield, its first freestanding restaurant in the area. It now has four stores within 25 miles of St. Louis, including locations at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, Des Peres' West County Center and the St. Clair Square mall in Fairview Heights.

With nearly 1,300 stores nationwide, it hopes to add perhaps three more around St. Louis in the next year. "Once we get started, we plan to start looking" for additional locations, said Dan Cathy, president and chief operating officer. "This is a very strong market." Advertisement

Cathy's father, S. Truett Cathy, opened the first Chick-fil-A restaurant in 1967. The company is still family-owned and has kept traditions started by its founder.

To the chagrin of some fans and the pleasure of others, the restaurants are closed on Sundays in accordance with the family's Christian heritage. Dan Cathy regularly opens new stores with an invocation, and prayer is common at headquarters.

Judging by the financial results, the reaction from consumers has been positive. Chick-fil-A opens about 70 stores per year, and revenue grew 15 percent last year to $2.28 billion. Stores open at least a year grew sales 8.5 percent.

read more

They are still some-what new to Kansas City, but they're growing. They're pretty good and the locations that I have been to have always been very busy.

I've always wondered why Chick-Fil-A didn't have a greater presence in St. Louis or Missouri. They have some good, fast cheap eats.

Hopefully, they'll open a location downtown.

Here's what they are saying about the new Chesterfield store opening.

St. Louis Today Forums

Chick-Fil-A is good, but they don't really have much of a menu. Once you've done the chicken nuggets and chicken sandwich, there isn't really much left to explore. After enjoying the crap out of the one at SIUE for 4 years, I don't think I've been to one since, and haven't missed a moment of it.

To me religion is a personal issue. However, regardless of the public display of their religious affiliation I love it. Can't get enough of it.

From a marketing standpoint I wonder if it has served them well? I would guess it encourages more than it alienates and if the opposite is true then good for them for sticking with their beliefs. Show's the benefit of a great quality product.

Does anyone have any data or research regarding this or any other's companies publicizing their religious beliefs?

I always wondered why in St. Louis places like Chick-Fil-A and Panda Express were in food courts, but in other cities they were free standing locations.

A downtown location would be appreciated. I got burned out on Chick-Fil-A working at Chesterfield Mall years ago, but having them downtown would be nice.

dweebe wrote:
A downtown location would be appreciated. I got burned out on Chick-Fil-A working at Chesterfield Mall years ago, but having them downtown would be nice.

They were downtown at one point.

^ Was Chick-Fil-A in St. Louis Centre or did they have a storefront location?

My memory of St. Louis Centre in its short-lived prosperous days is fuzzy, but I could swear there was one in the food court if only for a short time.

BL211 wrote:

Does anyone have any data or research regarding this or any other's companies publicizing their religious beliefs?

No research, but I believe the Franklin Covey stores are closed for religious reasons on Sunday as well. Always weird to see just one store closed in a mall when everyone else is open.

ThreeOneFour wrote:

My memory of St. Louis Centre in its short-lived prosperous days is fuzzy, but I could swear there was one in the food court if only for a short time.

They were in the StLC food court for at least a couple years around the 1998-2000 timeframe. Always enjoyed it.

Hobby Lobby doesn't close on Sundays, but the company wears its religious values on its sleeve, so to speak...

And, locally, we all know you can shop at Goedeker's in West County "everyday but Sunday".

I worked in One City Center in the mid 90s. Chik-Fil-A was there and so was I. Almost every morning. Their chicken biscuits are the best, Jerry, the BEST!

ThreeOneFour wrote:

Yep, in the food court.

bprop wrote:
They were in the StLC food court for at least a couple years around the 1998-2000 timeframe. Always enjoyed it.

Thanks for the memory refreshening! I remember dining there a couple of times, but it was right around the time I started giving up on going into the mall very often, and when I swore off the downtown Dillard's for good. Obviously that location wasn't going to work for long, despite the weekday lunchtime crowds, but I think a Chick-Fil-A somewhere in downtown would do quite well now.
According to KMOV 5-7 more Chick-fil-A locations are coming in the next 18 months. According to the West County Center location's Facebook page one will be on Hanley by the Home Depot. Joy!

Link to KMOV
Hooray, another chain!
there will also be one @ SLU
There was one on S Kingshighway for a bit, I believe. Color me unimpressed.
Um - no. There was never one on Kshwy ever.

Chick Fil A is actually the ONLY chicken sandwiches I will eat.

They have been around for a long time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick-fil-A

Their food is great and their quality, customer service and attention to detail are next to none.

I always have said that customer service is top notch and perfected at Drury Hotels and Chick Fil A's. Excellent.
Did you ever notice at Chick Fil A - their employees always end your service with "My Pleasure" - always!

Luke: try them at West County Center Food Court or the new stand alone in Chesterfield Valley.

Arnold I know is getting one for sure.
matguy70 wrote:
Um - no. There was never one on Kshwy ever.

Chick Fil A is actually the ONLY chicken sandwiches I will eat.

They have been around for a long time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick-fil-A

Their food is great and their quality, customer service and attention to detail are next to none.

I always have said that customer service is top notch and perfected at Drury Hotels and Chick Fil A's. Excellent.
Did you ever notice at Chick Fil A - their employees always end your service with "My Pleasure" - always!

Luke: try them at West County Center Food Court or the new stand alone in Chesterfield Valley.

Arnold I know is getting one for sure.

Well then someone on S Kingshighway used their sign. When I move to Nottingham in the mid 90s there was a Chik Fil A sign turned backwards on one of those stripmall storefronts that ended up housing the drivers license place.
... mid 90s there was a Chik Fil A sign turned backwards

It's funny you mention that. Due to some "unusual wiring" in my brain, I always read the name of that chain not backwards but I see it as "Chik A Fil" -- which make no sense. I have to stare at it for a while even knowing what it should be. Odd. Anyway I feel like it's a chicken sandwich dinner tonight. I wonder if they have something at Cullinaria. :D
It must of been a similar establishment in name.

Chick-Fil-A has only been located in mall foodcourts in St. Louis (in the past).

Those being for sure:
Chesterfield Mall (gone)
West County Mall (currently in new foodcourt)
St. Louis Centre Foodcourt (in the 90's)
St. Clair Square (currently in foodcourt)

Could have had a few other foodcourt locations.
But the chain has never had self standing stores or stores outside of foodcourts in the metro area.
I remember in the early 90s they were at Northwest Plaza's food court as well.
The Central Scrutinizer wrote:
Hooray, another chain!

That's kind of how I see this one too. However, if St. Louis proper was getting more than just the SLU one, I'd be happier. Empty storefronts need to be filled DT an elsewhere even if they are chains. Instead this is just more mall foodcourt space being filled up.