National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency Relocation

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
First unread post691 posts
I like the idea of the FBI moving there and opening up the property. For dense/urban/mixed-use of course.
Unless it's an MLS stadium.
^ Ding Ding!
Alex Ihnen wrote:
^ Ding Ding!

I'd prefer the dense urban infill on the north side of Market between 20th and 23rd and the MLS stadium on the south side.
dweebe wrote:
Alex Ihnen wrote:
^ Ding Ding!

I'd prefer the dense urban infill on the north side of Market between 20th and 23rd and the MLS stadium on the south side.

I like Dweebe's thought, get MLS stadium in west downtown, south of Market and as close to Union Station/Clark/Metrolink as you can. Heck, I would even argue, if a big enough foot print, is to knock down the office building vacated by VA and sink a stadium between Clark & I64. It would be bordered by Union Station (plus two hotels), Scottrade/Peabody, metrolink station(s)/metro bus transfer station/Amtrak station. Heck, go big and propose relocating post office facility as part of the northside proposal & build out parking deck with residential tower on top if parking is a concern
Something is amiss here. When the city of St. Louis provides development subsidies, those subsidies come with strings. One of those strings is the outreach to and hiring of minority and women-owned businesses. This shouldn't even be of question. Yet we see this:

http://www.stlamerican.com/news/local_n ... 22bb8.html
Things continue to march on with PD article noting issuance of bonds to prepare site and infrastructure with most of the 551 properties/parcels secured.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... 82d8b.html
Buster Brown building owner sues over eminent domain:

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... ign=LEEDCC
Could Trump play a role in this decision? We assume the choice has been made, but can anything Trump changes give Illinois a second chance? A new appointee for example...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
addxb2 wrote:
Could Trump play a role in this decision? We assume the choice has been made, but can anything Trump changes give Illinois a second chance? A new appointee for example...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Believe the record of decision has been made and it is more of St. Louis following through with its requirements to have the property secured, cleared and ready to turn over to Feds by a given date. I believe the city is well on its way to meet any commitments unless mistaken and someone can correct me.

Politically I think is even more secure and might move up in the priority list of appropriations.

1) Appropriations could have held up and stalled project. I think both DOD and security agencies are drooling over a Trump admin, GOP Congress and his promised spending.
2) IL is one the one place where Democrats gained a seat. Doubt anyone in GOP majority are willing to go out of their way to reverse the decision and award Senator Durbin.
I saw on @PresbyterianStl's Twitter feed that a $245,000 permit was approved to move 2530 N. Market. Also, he reported that construction fencing will go up this month.
Correct. The fence contract has been let. Once they start probably near the end of February it is estimated to take 27 days, and the streets will be closed off as they go. It's almost a mile of fence. The Fire Department has worked out all their new routes to maintain quick responses in the surrounding area.

The house move date will be announced two weeks in advance. It will be on a Saturday, with Sunday as the weather backup.
Thanks Matt for the additional info. I'm a little surprised there hasn't been any more rumblings of development along the periphery of this site. I assumed that QuickTrip, Starbucks, and CVS would all have claimed spots for new locations nearby (I wish I could say that was sarcasm...)
glad they're saving the house, but I'm more worried about the Buster Brown factory building. not sure where that stands at the moment.
What's the schedule for the design phase? Who's the architect? When do we get renderings?
The house move is scheduled for Sunday, February 26, weather dependent. It will go west from 2530 North Market, right on Parnell and north to St. Louis Ave., with another right turn and then east to 2200 St. Louis Ave.
With the NGA project not open for a couple years, I'm not surprised that no one has signed up to be near - though I'd guess they're scouting locations.
Alex Ihnen wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:40 pm
With the NGA project not open for a couple years, I'm not surprised that no one has signed up to be near - though I'd guess they're scouting locations.
I think you also have to add the fact that a full Jefferson Ave interchange/rebuilt 22nd street is still in the air along with April ballot measure. From a novice viewpoint it seems that the MLS in the mix for downtown adds to the wait and lets see what happens, if and how the infrastructure dollars around and going to NGIA play out
^ Right. And things move slow in STL. I had assumed there would be a retail boom alongside the opening of IKEA. Then I thought, well, maybe they're waiting for the groundbreaking, then the opening, then... Maybe City Foundry is set to add significant retail, but it's taken time.
I hope that the NGA brings people and retail back up to this area of the Northside.
The Buster Brown building is coming down:

http://www.constructforstl.org/minority ... west-site/
What a shame
framer wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:48 pm
The Buster Brown building is coming down:

http://www.constructforstl.org/minority ... west-site/
so f*cking unnecessary. sometimes i hate this place.
Bidding process is moving forward. Glad to hear that HOK and Gensler are among the finalist to design the new facility; they're both major international firms that do good work. I can't figure out who would be the lead designer for the third group, though.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... 2961c.html
Interesting finalist... I guess I expected to see more STL stuff, but this is a pretty huge project:

A joint venture of Clark Construction Group, based in the Washington area, and JE Dunn Construction, based in Kansas City. St. Louis architecture firm HOK is the lead design firm on the team.

A joint venture of Rock Hill-based McCarthy Building Companies and HITT Contracting, based in the Washington area. Engineering and construction firm Fluor, based in the Dallas area; San Francisco-based architecture firm Gensler; and Kansas City-based engineering firm Black & Veatch are also part of the team.

A joint venture of Overland-based Alberici Constructors and Minneapolis-based Mortenson. That team is made up of several other companies, including St. Louis-based Corrigan Company and Civil Design, also of St. Louis.