National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency Relocation

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
First unread post690 posts
Yikes. Anyone know more?

Lewis E. Reed @PresReed ·

Possible Fed closure of geospatial center in S. City #STL would mean the loss of 5k jobs. $4m in earnings tax revs. (1/2)

I've consistently reminded Feds of impact of gov jobs on #STL city. Looking for solutions to this potential economic hit. (2/2)
What's Slay's response?
I've heard this was a chance few years ago but after nothing happened I thought it was safe. Not closing as much as moving somewhere else.
roger wyoming II wrote:
What's Slay's response?

" everyone it's ok, these jobs are staying in United States, at least they arent moving to china, so as a nation we should be proud to keep this jobs here"
Knowitall wrote:
roger wyoming II wrote:
What's Slay's response?

" everyone it's ok, these jobs are staying in United States, at least they are moving to china, so as a nation we should be proud to keep this jobs here"

Umm, OK?
innov8ion wrote:
Knowitall wrote:
roger wyoming II wrote:
What's Slay's response?

" everyone it's ok, these jobs are staying in United States, at least they are moving to china, so as a nation we should be proud to keep this jobs here"

Umm, OK?

I guess I should have included a ;)
^Haha. You nailed it. Scary to think of the loss of these jobs. NGA is a huge employer, so much so that they even have their own bus stop/detour on the 30-Soulard route.
wabash wrote:
^Haha. You nailed it. Scary to think of the loss of these jobs. NGA is a huge employer, so much so that they even have their own bus stop/detour on the 30-Soulard route.

Very scary.

I've always worried they'd move the rest of the operations from the Soulardish area to the south end of Arnold off Vogel Rd where they have another building. But looking at Google Maps they're landlocked so that's not an option.
Knowitall wrote:
roger wyoming II wrote:
What's Slay's response?

" everyone it's ok, these jobs are staying in United States, at least they arent moving to china, so as a nation we should be proud to keep this jobs here"

I doubt Slay would make that much effort.
This can't happen. Thanks Obama.
^Obama? What does he have to do with this?

Nonetheless, I can't help but to think this may be another move by the General Services Administration Regional office in Kansas City.
Well, there is always my plan for the GSA to buy the ATT Building for cheap and move area federal workers there. It's a no brainer really,
Knowitall wrote:
roger wyoming II wrote:
What's Slay's response?

Here's the Mayor's tweet when the VA jobs moved from St. Louis to the County:

MayorSlay.com ‏@MayorSlay Mar 7
Moving VA jobs from the City to the county is much better than losing jobs in the region. #fgs
Please don't remind me of that pathetic tweet. :shock:

Epic fail in city leadership.
Mark Groth wrote:
Knowitall wrote:
roger wyoming II wrote:
What's Slay's response?

Here's the Mayor's tweet when the VA jobs moved from St. Louis to the County:

MayorSlay.com ‏@MayorSlay Mar 7
Moving VA jobs from the City to the county is much better than losing jobs in the region. #fgs

That's what I was making fun of.
was there a press release or is this just speculation. What prompted the tweet?

Its a true statement to say the impact would be pretty big at least interms of the earning tax revenue. I wonder how much sales impact it has on the city (are the worker going to Soulard for lunch etc.

My understanding was there is a lot of specialized equipment there, and high security facilities aren't cheap to build. They aren't just simple office jobs there. There is also a fair amout of expansion space adjacent to the facility that could probably be purchased inexpessively if that was an issue.
I'm remembering more details from few years ago, I think they want a crazy expansion, like from 5k to 20k.
Knowitall wrote:
I'm remembering more details from few years ago, I think they want a crazy expansion, like from 5k to 20k.

Even more expansion? This is their 3 year old new main HQ in Virginia.

dweebe wrote:
Knowitall wrote:

Even more expansion? This is their 3 year old new main HQ in Virginia.

How awesome would something like that be here :shock:
Apparently it's the third largest office building in the DC area.
OK, this a long shot and absolutely positively speculation on my part. Would this be the 5k jobs that McKee stated for Northside but offered absolutely no details or insight? I think a comment was posted on Northside thread that their was a rumor of 5k government tech jobs.

However, One thing is clear. Slay is losing the political battles within GSA. and yes to get political, I agree with Moorlander sentiment if it is true that 5k jobs will be lost for the city. Obama administration has not been helpful to St. Louis at all let alone the city. St. Louis City is probably the one location where his administration is doing everything it can move jobs out of the urban walkable core not to mention that the region was the sacrificial lamb in saving the auto industry for Detroit sake and not picking St. Louis for the Democratic convention stung hard. The one thing Slay is doing right, not pandering for another convention but wouldn't give him to much credit for that. It's a no brainer, why would we pony up money for one time 15 minutes of fame when a democratic administration moves jobs out of your democratic city that overwhelming voted for the President back to back terms.
If we could keep these jobs in the city, this could actually be a win. The old arsenal site that they occupy (if I'm thinking of the right place) would be awesome to have open to the public and could be a draw for tourism. I'm picturing a historic site with trails along the floodwall connecting it to downtown...
I agree that this should be on Slay's plate, but Nixon, McCaskill and others, need to get involved ASAP, if this rumor is true.

This could be devastating to the local economy!
My understanding is that everyone in both state and federal government positions has been aware of this for sometime and are working on potential solutions which could lead to not only saving the business but creating more jobs at a new location.
tech840 wrote:
My understanding is that everyone in both state and federal government positions has been aware of this for sometime and are working on potential solutions which could lead to not only saving the business but creating more jobs at a new location.

My understand as well.