Union Station Redevelopment

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
First unread post341 posts
Looks like the first phase of O'Loughlin's redevelopment is wrapping up and should open this month. I'm looking forward to seeing the Grand Hall and am glad to hear that the projection show on the ceiling is only periodic. Alive Magazine says for Phase II they're working on a large attractor such as a LEGOLAND, Ripley's Believe it or Not! (NOT!) or Wonderworks that would be completed by end of next year.
^ As a father of an 8 yr old boy and educated as an civil engineer I have to say anything lego anywhere at anytime is awesome. The only thing more awesome I have to admit is how many trains went through their once upon a time. Which gets my imagination going - A lego themed railroad based on Union Station and the city itself.
^ Sweet! By the way, I believe Union Station is hosting National Train Day in a few weeks. And excursion trains continue to be in the plans.... they're looking at a pretty robust Santa's Express or somesuch over the holidays.
I always thought a model railroad museum would be great in Union Station. A Lego model railroad museum would be even better.
Legoland Florida is awesome for kids and adults, but I think if we end up with something it'd be more like what they have in KC:
http://www.legolanddiscoverycenter.com/kansascity/
Here's the Union Station thread
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=8552&hilit=union+station&start=330

National train day is May 10. http://www.traindaystlouis.com/
^ Thanks. I didn't want to post there as this thread is more than just what's in store for the shed.... Phase One of O'Laughlin's plan for example isn't really touching that but future phase(s) will.
I'll continue posting this in ANY Union Station thread until it becomes a thing.

Are you listening, Bob?! Make this happen! A step in the right direction by giving over some of the parking spaces to the Trapeze School this Spring/Summer...now just do the same in Winter for an ice rink! Imagine the activity before, during and after home Blues games. Bring in some bleachers and you could even host high school games/tourneys!
^ I like it!

But for now we may just have to settle for a Starbuck's and spruced up Grand Hall.
I love our Union station regardless its one the most beautiful .. Getting a Legoland or Ripleys would be awesome and be amazing if they landed both at Union Station. I also wouldn't mind seeing a consolidated museum dedicated to all of the rich history of St.Louis ... Is there already a such thing?
BrickCity4470 wrote:
I also wouldn't mind seeing a consolidated museum dedicated to all of the rich history of St.Louis ... Is there already a such thing?

The Missouri History Museum in Forest Park is really the St. Louis history museum. (For which I am grateful.)
Kevin B wrote:
I'll continue posting this in ANY Union Station thread until it becomes a thing.

Are you listening, Bob?! Make this happen! A step in the right direction by giving over some of the parking spaces to the Trapeze School this Spring/Summer...now just do the same in Winter for an ice rink! Imagine the activity before, during and after home Blues games. Bring in some bleachers and you could even host high school games/tourneys!

But where would people from west county park? :D
couldn't they park at Scottrade or is that too much of walk for them :lol:
Presbyterian wrote:
BrickCity4470 wrote:
I also wouldn't mind seeing a consolidated museum dedicated to all of the rich history of St.Louis ... Is there already a such thing?

The Missouri History Museum in Forest Park is really the St. Louis history museum. (For which I am grateful.)

Totally right about the history museum i was just there last weekend.. i must have a real short term memory :oops:
Old Courthouse is pretty much a St. Louis museum as well.
^Yep. There's some nifty stuff there that hardly anybody sees.
Actually I think Saturday, with National Train Day, is the official opening of the Grand Hall changes. (Phase One of larger project)
http://www.grandhall-stl.com/
Wow, phase II to include a 200 foot ferris wheel on the parking lot.... along with other plans, Union Station could be an incredible draw again.
^ Where did you see that info?
It's in the post-dispatch.. I think thats awesome a 200 footer would definitely draw people and have a impact on our skyline.. I love everything that they are doing with the Station...
200ft ferris wheel, bumper cars, rope climbing etc. within a year and a half.

http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/st- ... media-show
You know what would bring me to Union Station?

A train.

But that isn't an option. Maybe if the MetroLink let people off there, and not just across the parking lot.
Gateway City wrote:
You know what would bring me to Union Station?

A train.

But that isn't an option. Maybe if the MetroLink let people off there, and not just across the parking lot.

If the TOD plan laid out last year actually came to life this area could be an awesome neighborhood. 22nd st interchange and new metrolink station is also a must. Would also like Union Station to be our Amtrak station.
^ That's precisely what's happened with Denver's Union Station... pretty sweet!

http://denverunionstation.org/
They will have trains - charter trains to KC, Chicago, and MO wine country.