The State of Downtown

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
First unread post1853 posts
robertn42 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:47 am
Chalupas54 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:35 pm
I may get pounced on for this, but I really think Downtown St Louis is nice. I’ve not once heard someone say our downtown core is gross. I always find the CBD to be very clean compared to other downtowns. Yes, downtown lacks. But it’s certainly the “worst”. I’d say our downtown is very similar to Cleveland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I completely agree. It could definitely be better, but speaking in hyperbole about how "it's the worst in the US" is crazy and wrong.
Better than Buffalo! (But worse than Cleveland!) Seriously, it's not the worst in the nation and we are still a major downtown imo but not nearly where we should be and lagging almost all our peers. It really isn't that controversial a statement. Take Cleveland... Again, it has a higher residential and office worker base and it shows.... sure it isn't Manhattan and not even Minneapolis but they actually have shops in their Arcades. A couple CVSs, a furniture store, multiple clothing shops. And a not nearly what-it-used-to-be-but-still-there-regional mall. The market is speaking and telling us that there is not yet confidence retailers can make money. I just can't take claims that we're middle of the pack seriously.until we see retailers coming in, and somehow more have been closing in recent years than opening despite our having so few remaining. Gotta up our daytime population.
St.Louis needs a significant positive movement! Reasoning i say this i feel theres so much negative energy here despite all the reasonably good developments happening here the negatives far outweigh anything good happening here we need to change badly.
Need to put a positive vision into motion.
St.Louis is better than this!
Not sure how long these projects will take to complete, but it sure is nice to see multiple projects in the heart of the CBD in full swing... LaSalle Building, Mercantile Library, Union Trust, 900 block Locust conversions. With a couple of upcoming retail openings slated and the re-opening of the Arch Grounds access finally in sight in Spring, I think we'll have made some real progress in terms of re-activating a couple of stretches that were pretty much dead zones and finally being able to see what the Arch investments will bring in terms of access and enjoyment.

While I don't consider them being in the core CBD, things like BPV construction and Jefferson-Arms will be icing on the cake if they're underway next year. Who knows. maybe we'll even get a couple big jobs announcements and things will really be churning down there.