New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
First unread post1888 posts
dylank wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:11 pm
I believe three will be finished:
--80+ apartments Level on Locust
--12+ apartments above Hotel STL
--Monogram units

Plus continued expansion in Laclede Bldg. Possibly Laclede's Landing apartments...?
Sounds like they do plan for this year so if all four did open that wouldn't be too bad.. 300+
eCab downtown?
Somehow our ancestors were able to get around a bustling downtown without it. Maybe work on why people don't want to walk downtown?
quincunx wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:46 pm
eCab downtown?
Somehow our ancestors were able to get around a bustling downtown without it. Maybe work on why people don't want to walk downtown?
Orlando: free downtown bus circulator
Nashville: free downtown bus circulator
KC: free downtown streetcar
STL: $1 downtown circulator in the single worst shape possible and a free app thing.
At first, I was optimistic about this. Now knowing the details of service, I cant help but feel annoyed that $135k is being blown on this.

3 vehicles at all times
10am - 2pm weekdays.
5-10pm weekdays and weekends.

This coming from an organization who fired dozens of the most friendly and welcome people... for additional officers, that I’ve never seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Come June this will be the replacement for the downtown trolley bus, that thing costs $1m a year to run

One thing I don’t like about this is it stops at 18th and minus a lot of biz and residents between 18th and Jefferson, it’s running within the downtown CID boarders but they could have asked the LBD CID to pitch in
It does seem like a waste.

But then again I'd rather walk 15 minutes than wait seven minutes then ride seven minutes. I doubt there's much time savings here for the average user, given the dimensions of the coverage area.
But the downtown trolley COULD transport 150-180 riders per hour and operates 122 hours per week. (18,300 - 21,960 max weekly ridership)

To match that capacity, operating 122 hours per week, we’d need 30-35 of these running around downtown. Which, based on the cost reported, would put these at well over a million in capital and operations.

Sure, the trolley isn’t carrying anything near the capacity, but is the solution to that problem a different service entirely (a service that at this time will NOT encourage a single downtown resident or worker to go car free). The solution, as aprice has said, sits in improved circulation and frequency. Not just the circulator, but all routes serving downtown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it is a replacement for the #99, does that mean the CID would be absorbing the cost from Metro, just like it absorbed the cost of policing from the City? Or are rumors of taking over the trolley just speculation?
Seems like another symptom of dedensifying downtown with parking lots, garages, and highways.
An issue in downtown that persists seems to be that parking lots/garages can often generate more income than other types of development, correct?

Could the city create a tax (maybe a new property tax) that specifically targets stand alone garages and lots- not linked to a corresponding development? IS something like this feasible and would it there be too many negative externalities for it to be worth it?
Has anyone else tried the e-taxi app for the new circulator? The Android version could use some work, lots and lots of work.

This rainy stretch provides a good time to test the e-taxi out, but the app is not making things easy.

It doesn't seem to be able to tell you when the thing is running (10-2 M-F, 5-10 M-Sat). Everything looks the same on there whether it's noon or midnight. I guess you have to either know the hours (or maybe it errors out after you waste a minute inputting origin and destination).

The SMS verification apparently doesn't actually send an SMS (other Google reviews say that).

It's preset to come up with a bunch of Austin, Texas, addresses at the top of the list whenever you start typing anything, as the company mainly operates in Austin.
BellaVilla wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:01 pm
An issue in downtown that persists seems to be that parking lots/garages can often generate more income than other types of development, correct?
Correct.
BellaVilla wrote:
Could the city create a tax (maybe a new property tax) that specifically targets stand alone garages and lots- not linked to a corresponding development? IS something like this feasible and would it there be too many negative externalities for it to be worth it?
The City currently has a 5% parking tax for "parking" businesses.
stlien wrote:
BellaVilla wrote:
The City currently has a 5% parking tax for "parking" businesses.
I believe you get back to the fundamental issue driving downtown. Their is not enough demand at the moment to make the property valuable enough to build on vs. the parking revenue without significant tax incentives.. It is going to be slow difficult process but the answer isn't more taxation on parking lots IMO.

What is difficult for the city is where you draw a line on incentives. It was noted on one of the blogs that the city signed off on 20 years of tax abatements for the proposed 300 Broadway residential tower where as the same group that built 212 Meramac in Clayton CBD settled for less incentives with some push back. Obviously Clayton CBD has more value based on commercial lease & vacancy rates and frankly less land. But it would sure be nice if downtown would get to the point that some pushback on incentives could happen.