The St. Louis Brewery Thread

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
First unread post621 posts
That's an exciting reuse! I kind of wish I still lived a couple blocks east.
I began this thread by counting up the local breweries - I gave up a few years ago when they starting popping up like crazy -There will be 50 local breweries represented at this years Heritage Festival - some have duplicates (Schlafly and UCB), some push the limits of local - Scratch in Ava IL is almost 2 hours away - But this is impressive considering where we were a decade ago - and there are more on the way

https://stlbeer.org/events/heritage/

Edit - Scratch is not actually participating - But there are a few that are out there a bit
Senn announced today that it won't be opening at Olive and North & South - they're looking for a different location.
^Yep. Totally sucks. I live just a few blocks away, and was really looking forward to an economic boost to that stretch of Olive. Petty U City politics spoiled it for all of us. They also killed a dog cafe that was proposed a few blocks east of this.
framer wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:58 pm
^Yep. Totally sucks. I live just a few blocks away, and was really looking forward to an economic boost to that stretch of Olive. Petty U City politics spoiled it for all of us. They also killed a dog cafe that was proposed a few blocks east of this.
that sucks. I live semi close to this also. Would have been nice to have a brewery that is a short drive. What was the reason for killing these? I would think U city would be bending over backwards for this.
[quote=framer post_id=283847 time=1497553087 user_id=220]
[/quote]

Please elaborate on this.
^About a year ago, some folks proposed renovating the old Harris Armstrong building at Olive and Midland (an old tea house). There was to be a coffee shop/cafe along with extensive dog-friendly landscaping. One group of council members wanted to give the developers a below-market deal on the land, but another group wanted to hold out for more money. This is an area that is technically a flood plain, so development has been difficult.

As far as the Senn deal, and general U City bickering, allow me to cut-and-paste my comments from another thread:

I don't know what happened with the Senn deal, as those in the know are not speaking. Word on the street is that the developer somehow got U City to sell him the land dirt cheap, and then screwed Senn on the deal. He was supposedly an investor in the brewery, but who knows. All of this may be completely false; we'll just have to wait and see. In the meantime, residents of U City are embarrassed and angry by the whole mess.

Jshank, I really don't know how to answer. There are two opposing clicks on the U City Council, and they rarely agree on anything. The mayor has referred to one side as "tea party conservatives" who are opposed to any kind of progress, while that side says the mayor and her supporters are corrupt, scheming, and inept. Perhaps the best way to figure it out is to join the Facebook groups called "U City on the Record" (a very vocal anti-mayor group), and "Civil U City" (a much more restrained pro-mayor group).
Anyone heard anything lately about Rockwell brewing on Vandeventer? I haven't seen anything happen at that site yet.
I work down the street from that Dinzler building... I saw their group over there a month or so ago... Looked as if they were walking around the site looking and talking about stuff.

2 months ago they were still on site. (see tweet) that's all I've heard.

https://twitter.com/rockwellbeer/status ... 5286233094
Update on Senn.

"Chalfant said the search for a new location is on and he hopes to open in the next 10 to 12 months.

“We’re not opposed to new construction, but we’re most likely going to retrofit an existing structure, so that’ll help increase the timeline and save a little bit of money,” he said.

Chalfant said Senn’s final home may not be in University City."

http://www.saucemagazine.com/blog/?p=48798

“We have some areas we’d like to be in, some because of business reasons, and some because of emotional ties. I would say we’re most likely going to move south and east of the U. City location,” he said. “There are also sites we’ve looked at inside U. City as well. Everything’s an option right now.”
Hopefully that means there's a chance we could see them east of skinker on Delmar? Would be great.
How about either East Loop or Downtown West?
FWIW, the developer who had been working with Senn was quoted on NextDoor. Basically, he thinks they were in over their heads, trying to start too big. Perhaps starting with an existing building will be more manageable for them.
Center Ice opening JULY 21

http://saintbrewis.com/beer-blog/shoots ... y-july-21/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Another new Brewery coming to Midtown. Wellspent Brewery

http://www.saucemagazine.com/blog/?p=49052

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^ sweet. keep 'em coming!
With all these breweries opening up lately does anyone have an interactive brewery map they keep updated?
jshank83 wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:26 am
With all these breweries opening up lately does anyone have an interactive brewery map they keep updated?
I'm trying to keep one up on Google Maps. Have a look at ye olde Historice Brweries of Ste. Louis Mappe. So far it's mostly city limits with a slight fudge to include Schlafly's Maplewood facility. I'm still weighing whether to add St. Louis County or the Metro East, since that would include a lot of research. (I'm trying to map out historic remnants and locations and not just modern breweries. Metro East in particular would require a fair bit of research, but it would also add some real interest.) Just added Center Ice and Charleville. Does anyone know if Griesedieck's Baden facility is still going forward?
symphonicpoet wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:38 pm
jshank83 wrote:
I'm trying to keep one up on Google Maps. Have a look at ye olde Historice Brweries of Ste. Louis Mappe. So far it's mostly city limits with a slight fudge to include Schlafly's Maplewood facility. I'm still weighing whether to add St. Louis County or the Metro East, since that would include a lot of research. (I'm trying to map out historic remnants and locations and not just modern breweries. Metro East in particular would require a fair bit of research, but it would also add some real interest.) Just added Center Ice and Charleville. Does anyone know if Griesedieck's Baden facility is still going forward?
Thank you! I would like to see STL County, even if it was just a partial list. When I have people in from out of town it would be nice to see all the options to take them to.
jshank83 wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:46 pm
symphonicpoet wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:38 pm
jshank83 wrote:
Thank you! I would like to see STL County, even if it was just a partial list. When I have people in from out of town it would be nice to see all the options to take them to.
I pull a lot of my data from the St. Louis Brewer's Association. They have a very nice page:

https://stlbeer.org/breweries/