Board of Aldermen

A catch-all forum for urban discussion. If it doesn't fit elsewhere, post here.
First unread post480 posts
I care much more about whether he's made his ward and the city a better place since taking office in 1977. (he hasn't)
I'm going to not read the 42 comments on that article. I want to stay in a good mood.
ealfotd wrote:
I'm going to not read the 42 comments on that article. I want to stay in a good mood.

+1
ealfotd wrote:

I saw the article when first posted and there were no comments. I bet myself it was going to go over 100 before the day was over.
ealfotd wrote:

Your loss. For once, it seems, rational thought wins out on the Post-Dispatch comment section. It seems the vast majority of commenters realize how asinine/problematic a City-wide saggy pants ban is. Count me among those who don't get the fashion appeal of wearing your jeans so low you have to walk bow-legged just to hold 'em up, but to present legislation for a $100-$500 fine (or up to 90 days in jail) for doing so is laughably insane.
^ Agreed. I also learned that someone's sister makes $71 per hour working at home a few hours a day on her computer. That's amazing!
Alderman Antonio French tweeted that propoenents of the sagging bill claim it is a public health issue as sagging leads to arthritis and impotence.
^ Perhaps the problem then solves itself in a generation?
Alex Ihnen wrote:

haha
Alex Ihnen wrote:

I heard an interesting solution on the radio this morning. If everyone over 30 starts sagging, it won't be cool anymore and the kids will stop doing it :D
Does anyone know where I can find the years of service for each of the 28 current aldermen?
Can't imagine why anyone would want to know that! But if you really are interested, there are a couple of ways to find out.

You could go to City Hall and check out the photos on the second floor outside the B of A chambers. There they have group pics of the board going back at least to the 1960s.

You can see who's in and who's out all along the way through time. And for a bonus, you can see how their hairlines and clothing styles have changed!

The second way is to Google "St. Louis Board of Aldermen seniority." I bet that would yield some
good results.

The Board of Aldermen is sort of like Jeff City. More senior aldermen get better offices and committee assignments.
These are the longest serving, with a photo:

Phyllis Young -- in her 29th year
    Fred Wessels -- in his 29th year
    Joe Roddy -- in his 26th year
    Terry Kennedy -- in his 25th year
    Freeman Bosley Sr -- in his 25th year

I'm afraid I don't have a recent photo. However, I do want to stress the value of incumbency.

I thought Freeman Bosley Sr was in his 9th term
So, in other words, no one knows if the years of service information is summarized anywhere. I can't find it anywhere.
After 28 years on the BoA Fred Wessels is leaving to head up the Community Development Administration.

Who's up for replacing him?

13th Ward map

https://stlouis-mo.gov/government/depar ... _11x17.pdf
That's my ward. He's been a good alderman. Whoever it is, I hope they keep the Friday morning coffee thing at the Loughborough Schnucks going.
Have Wessels/Slay already groomed someone for the slot, or will someone fresh step up? Remember the Villa to Villa exchange?
Jason Rosenbaum reports that 13th Ward Committeewoman Beth Murphy will seek the Democratic nomination for the seat. Anyone know her? Anyone else hoping to get the seat?

This sounds pretty good

Describing herself as a “team player,” Murphy said she wants to collaborate with other aldermen and city officials to help build up all parts of the city.

“What’s good for the city is good for my ward,” Murphy said. “The 16th Ward, the 12th Ward and my ward – we are not going to survive if we’re little islands and downtown looks like Detroit. So we have to get over some of that parochialism and we have to work together. And that means helping the north side, even though sometimes it seems like the south side doesn’t want to. … We have to do those things.”

StL Public Radio - Murphy May Have Inside Track For Soon-To-Be-Vacant 13th Ward Seat

http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/mur ... -ward-seat
Beth Murphy. I'm assuming she's related to our esteemed sheriff Jim Murphy?

The Murphys/Villas/Slays all go way back. They have their little club down here in this corner of the city.

There were rumors a little bit back about discontent amongst the Wessels and Slays over endorsements. Apparently Fred Wessels got pretty pissed over Slays not-so-expedient endorsement. Maybe the Wessels are no longer a part of the club? Or just temporarily not invited to parties.
Doesn't the club meet in the "bulldog storefront" just west of the former El Burrito Loco on Bates just west of Grand? Strange place that, with the painted windows and all.
Not sure I understand this:
Aesir wrote:
Beth Murphy. I'm assuming she's related to our esteemed sheriff Jim Murphy?

The Murphys/Villas/Slays all go way back. They have their little club down here in this corner of the city.

There were rumors a little bit back about discontent amongst the Wessels and Slays over endorsements. Apparently Fred Wessels got pretty pissed over Slays not-so-expedient endorsement. Maybe the Wessels are no longer a part of the club? Or just temporarily not invited to parties.

The article says Wessels is behind Murphy:

Murphy said she has the backing of Wessels, Collector of Revenue Gregory F.X. Daly, state Rep. Jake Hummel, D-St. Louis, and state Rep. Michele Kratky, D-St. Louis.
With those endorsements, she's a shoe-in.

Not sure why anyone would want to be an alderman, though, in STL City. It must be for the status, the parties, and the pension.

The job itself is a pain. And the 13th Ward is no picnic.

Too bad there isn't some sort of system for tracking the performance of aldermen in terms of the maintenance or improving of the quality of life in their wards.

If there was, it sure would yield a mixed bag of results.

The 28th Ward is way up, as are the 17th and 7th wards. The rest of them?

Not so much.