Forum Rules and Tolerances

A catch-all forum for urban discussion. If it doesn't fit elsewhere, post here.
There are a few guidelines which we would like members to follow. These aren't rules set in stone and we will attempt to refrain from overt censorship but if people stray outside the reasonable requests below then their postings will be removed by the moderators.

Forum mission

Members should expect mostly positive news and information to be disseminated here. This board is primarily meant to accentuate the positive regarding St. Louis as well as a place to exchange information. This is not a complaint board and not the place to post your rants. Serious users of this forum are interested in informed discussions. While everyone won't necessarily share the same opinions, we hope members will at least make an attempt to use logic and verifiable information in your posts. Lively, intelligent discussion is what we're about.

Confidential, copyrighted or trademarked material

Please do not post copyrighted or trademarked material without first obtaining the express permission to do so by the copyright or trademark holder. When you registered, you agreed not to post any material that may violate applicable laws. Posting copyrighted material without the express permission of the copyright holder is a violation of applicable law and of our policy. Do not post any information that would infringe upon the proprietary, privacy or personal rights of others. Disclosure of information deemed as confidential is also prohibited.

Locked threads

If a thread is locked, don't open a new thread in order to continue the discussion or complain about a moderator locking your thread. If you feel a thread was locked prematurely or inappropriately, please e-mail or private message the administrator. If you wish to complain about a post that you find offensive then please get in touch with the moderators.

Most relevant forum

We provide different forums for different types of discussion - please try to use the right one for your new topic, and don't post duplicates of your topic in more than one forum, even if that post could be considered highly relevant to other forums. Topics in the 'wrong' forum may be moved to a different forum by the moderators.

Stay on-topic

Posts should be directly related to the focus of this forum and the subject of discussion. In general, only post if you have something relevant to say about the topic being discussed. There will be some leniency on this, and we don't mind if you bring in another idea or two, but stay focused. If you think it's a good enough topic, start a new thread about it. This also prevents losing a good idea in a thread about another topic. Threads that wander off-topic will be closed and/or trimmed or moved to its appropriate forum.

Low content posts

Do not make posts with no real purpose or content (out of laziness or just to increase post count). Refrain from posting short follow-up messages that contribute nothing to a thread, such as "I agree" or "Me too" and only post if you are going to contribute to the discussion in a constructive way. Secondly, use your edit button to keep from posting two or more consecutive messages in a thread to reflect one train of thought. Moderators may consolidate or delete posts to improve readability of a thread.

Personal attacks

No personal attacks. This includes obscenities, verbal harassment or comments that would prove offensive based on race, religion, sex, age, location of residence or employment, opinions or sexual orientation, lifestyle orientation, diet orientation. Attack the issue, not the person. At the same time, try not to be easily offended. Disagreement is normal here.

Flame-baiting

Flame baiting is trying to start a fight by posting a message for the sole purpose of making someone angry. This is just a judgment call left to the forum moderators. This can prevent any serious and civilized debate from happening.

Posting profanity and obscenities

Please do not post profanity, obscenities, or spiteful remarks - Messages which contain excessive and pointless swearing, or insults aimed at other people, or politically offensive language may be removed.

Avatars and sigs are privileges given to members by the administrator and they can be taken away. Moderators have the right to not only tell you that you must remove an avatar or something from your sig, but have the right to define what is appropriate.

Illegal material

Do not post confidential, illegal, copyrighted or libelous material. Do not post or request links to sites advocating illegal activities or anything that might be considered illegal. Adult content is forbidden in all threads. There will be no warning, you will be banned.

One identity per member

Multiple accounts are strictly prohibited. Do not post from another member's account and do not allow others to post from your account. If you have forgotten your user name or password, please let one of the moderators know. DO NOT create a new account if you have been banned from the forum or had your account suspended for any reason. Inactive or unactivated accounts will also be removed at our discretion.

No selling/advertising/spamming

Do not post topics where the primary intention is to promote your personal site. This forum is not here to advertise your site or product. Please refrain from posting promotional links unless it's in your signature and ONLY in your signature. Keep your posts relevant to the topic/forum and abstain from unnecessary repetitive posting. Do not attempt to sell anything on this forum although please contact us if you're interested in advertising.

Consequences

First offense: warning

Second offense: warning

Third offense: warning/suspension

Further offenses: instant ban/IP block

Urban, is there an acceptable format when it comes to posting news articles?

Can one post the title of the article and a couple lines of the story along with a link to the story? should the title be by itself and then the link? or should there be a paraphrased explanation of the story followed by the link?

Thanks.

brickandmortar wrote:
Urban, is there an acceptable format when it comes to posting news articles?

If you are referencing an article and don't have express permission to post the entire article, then please only post a summary (or key paragraph) and a link to the article. Simply said, do not repost an entire article. If you decide to post a key paragraph from the article, you must post a link to the article as well as mention the title, author and source.

For example---

<A HREF="http://stlouis.bizjournals.com/stlouis/stories/2005/06/27/story7.html">Grand Center suit bumped to state by federal judge</A>

By Christopher Tritto of the St. Louis Business Journal

With about $120 million in Grand Center developments in limbo, a federal judge abstained from taking jurisdiction of a lawsuit filed to stop the projects. That leaves the fate of the case for the state circuit court to decide. At issue is the tax increment financing, or TIF, district created in Grand Center in 2002.

<A HREF="http://stlouis.bizjournals.com/stlouis/stories/2005/06/27/story7.html">>>> read more</A>

There is something called the fair-use law, which allows us to post key paragraphs of copyrighted material as long as the material is intended to apply to teaching, research, and other such activities. This law does not allow for entire articles to be copied/posted, even if they are fully referenced and the copyright holder given full credit.

In short -- get permission, find permission in a sites terms of use, or provide only a short quote and a link to the rest article. Posting copyrighted or trademarked material is problematic, against forum rules and against the law. Thanks!

I would say those guidlines are fair and very well thought out. I just hope i don't geta 4th offense :D

^They've been in development since the beginning of June, so yes, there was plenty of thought put in them. And I hope no one gets to a fourth offense either.

Does anyone know how to change your screen name?

Just send me a message. You can't, but I can very easily.

Is there a "how to" for the forum?

In other words, how do I put up a link to a website under one word like "here" or "proof"?

Thanks
Alex,

You might need to check a recent post. I don't think it you desire.
^Thanks. Deleted post and user.
My password keeps getting reset - is there a problem?
Could people please refrain from quoting the entirety of the post immediately previous? It makes the threads hopelessly long, especially annoying when reading on a phone. I think it's implied that you're responding to the previous post. Or use the ^ to be clear.

Thanks
But I love it when people quote the previous post that has four images in it plus two paragraphs of text and say "Looks great!"
But yes, I agree. At the very least, delete out the sub-quote(s). Or if you're quoting SP (sorry I had to, love you SP) delete it down to just the few sentences you're responding to.
^aprice

Are you suggesting I'm wordy? ;-)

Sorry. i have to confess I'm guilty as charged.
symphonicpoet wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:27 am

If anyone else complains, I'll fight them. Nah, I think you're pretty well appreciated around here.

Also...
DELETE THE SUB-QUOTES. This is really bad. That article (which was already too large of a resolution) got quoted at least six times.

ImageScreen Shot 2017-11-03 at 1.45.03 PM by Alex Price, on Flickr
aprice wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:54 pm
symphonicpoet wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:27 am

If anyone else complains, I'll fight them. Nah, I think you're pretty well appreciated around here.

Also...
DELETE THE SUB-QUOTES. This is really bad. That article (which was already too large of a resolution) got quoted at least six times.

ImageScreen Shot 2017-11-03 at 1.45.03 PM by Alex Price, on Flickr
You were saying? :evil:

-RBB