Sticky -- St. Louis Movie/Cinema/TV/Production News

A catch-all forum for urban discussion. If it doesn't fit elsewhere, post here.
First unread post419 posts
southsidepride wrote:
From what I hear O'Kelly's by the ballpark is the next to get the BR treatment this week.

Really? That's interesting. Are they relocating?
This goofy show is to start its regular season January 2016. I saw the two test episodes and lost interest fast.

phpBB [media]

Superstore Review:
America Ferrera's Charming RomCom Needs Fewer Bargain-Brand Punchlines
By Michael Slezak / November 29 2015, 12:25 PM PST

Anyone who has traversed the aisles of a Wal-Mart, Target or Kmart knows there are genuine steals to be found — often pressed up against items you wouldn’t buy with somebody else’s money.

Superstore, NBC’s new America Ferrera-Ben Feldman comedy (sneak-previewing Monday at 10/9c) contains a similar mix of treasures and junk — and its success or failure will probably depend on how much and how quickly you get invested in the potential romance between her wry, put-upon floor manager Amy and his romantic but slightly cocky new hire Jonah.

The action takes place in a St. Louis location of the fictional Cloud 9 discount store — where Amy earns a decent living after 10 years of a grind in which she’s come to realize tomorrow will be the same as today, because today is exactly the same as yesterday.
^^^But hey, at least St. Louis is still receiving some network attention - "Welcome To Sweetie Pie's" (OWN), "Soul Man" (TV Land) (5th and final season, 12 episodes, shooting now) and "Superstore" (NBC).

I think St. Louis needs a medical show, something like Empire or Nashville, a hotel sitcom, a wealthy influential family, or a drama about the wheeling and dealing of the brokerage/banking industry.

Can anyone write a pilot? :wink:
I saw a couple of previews for Superstore, and thought it looked awful. Didn't know it was set in STL. At least somebody's throwing us some scraps.
roger wyoming II wrote:
^ Does Missouri have no program at the moment? Here is an article about tax credits for Gone Girl shot down in Cape:
http://www.semissourian.com/story/2082032.html

They got a 35% credit for in-state expenditures, basically some $800,000 for almost $3 million in spending on non-payroll (and I think may get more on payroll when those numbers are submitted).

I do agree that at least certain productions should qualify, like Resurrection.... the reason I became aware of it is that tourism interests down there in the Arcadia Valley are hoping for a bit of uptick in visits because of the show and I'm sure they'd be more successful if the show was actually shot there and not Georgia. (Also, we need a Saint Louis Blues police drama like yesterday!)

Missouri no longer has incentives. Gone Girl was the last major film to use them. At least they went out with a bang. Also, Missouri is lucky enough to have had such high quality films film there. The Informant, Up in The Air, Winters Bone, and Gone Girl? Wow. Those are top notch films in the short lifespan it had.

On the list of states with good incentives, Michigan's are also now gone, leaving Illinois and Ohio with the only decent incentives in the Midwest. Minnesota does have one, but it's smaller than Ohio's and Illinois'.Louisiana may draw less film since I posted it as being a big film state. Georgia's film industry will benefit from this. I also heard North Carolina is cutting down, which will also benefit Georgia. California is trying to bring back the industry, so they're making incentives. You can see it coming back with films like Nightcrawler, and The Nice Guys, as well as TV shows like Fear the Walking Dead. For awhile, filming was limited to studio sets in LA, with less on location filming.

I just moved to New Mexico from Chicago, This state is much smaller than Missouri and Illinois, yet the number of productions is comparable to Illinois. The best TV shows coming out of here right now are Better Call Saul, and Preacher. They usually film 3 types of shows/movies here: Westerns, Science Fiction, and Road Trip films. I drove to northwestern New Mexico, and I saw 3 different types of landscapes, all of which could look like different planets. New Mexico could definitely play off as Mars. They just shot a pilot here referred only as, "Untitled Mars Project," for the CW. I guess it's a story that takes place on Mars, lol, with no plot revealed at all.
I saw Knight of Cups over the weekend; pretty strange movie, even by Terrence Malick standards. Anyway, the whole thing was set in Los Angeles and Las Vegas, but for some reason there was a 10 second clip of the Arch in it. A view of Downtown from the Poplar Street Bridge, and then driving past the Arch on Memorial. Absolutely no reason for a St. Louis cameo in this flick, but that's Malick, I guess.
framer wrote:
but that's Malick, I guess.

For my money, he peeked with the "The Thin Red Line" (tremendously amazing film in multiple respects IMHO), and then took a strange turn down an increasingly stranger road.
framer wrote:
I saw Knight of Cups over the weekend; pretty strange movie, even by Terrence Malick standards. Anyway, the whole thing was set in Los Angeles and Las Vegas, but for some reason there was a 10 second clip of the Arch in it. A view of Downtown from the Poplar Street Bridge, and then driving past the Arch on Memorial. Absolutely no reason for a St. Louis cameo in this flick, but that's Malick, I guess.

Malick is one of my favorite directors. First, I had no idea the knight of cups was out yet. Where are the commercials? Second, he was a philosophy major, and a professor. There is absolutely a reason for everything he puts into his features. I'm not so sure why the arch was in the shot, but damn that's cool that it made it into my favorite director's film .
THE OA ON NETFLIX HAS MISSOURI & ST. LOUIS CONNECTIONS

http://reallifestl.com/2016/12/stream-the-oa-netflix/

i've only watched one episode but it's compelling. takes place somewhere near St. Louis. name drops so far include St. Louis, Crestwood, and Jefferson City.
Seems like St. Louis, Michigan, sadly. A bit west of Saginaw. Can't even catch a break there. Though it's quite possible someone on the production crew is making inside jokes, since the likeliest Crestwood and Jefferson in Michigan are both closer to Detroit. But it's the "Michigan Miracle." And the scholarships are for schools in Michigan, which are nearer to home than the Harvard alternative. (Of course, it's just possible it's actually outside Detroit and the St. Louis thing was just the first episode, since that was the remote hospital where she was found.) Anyway . . . eh . . . not bad as TV goes. But . . . not St. Louis. Wish it were. :(
^ was there a reference to saginaw? It's clearly not filmed in St. Louis, but I don't think the reference to a Michigan scholarship means that it takes place in Michigan. Even so, location is refererenced so infrequently that it doesn't really matter where it's set. Apparently it's produced by brad pitt's company, which lends some credence to the STL setting.
Not Saginaw specifically. But there's a lot of Michigan references otherwise. I think the Crestwood and Jefferson City things are really just an inside joke. The Michigan scholarship reference comes up several times, and it's stated that the character with the scholarship wants to use it because then they can stay close to their mother. I travel a lot, and I'm pretty liberal with my definitions of close, but I don't think I'd call Michigan especially close to St. Louis. If I had to guess, I'd say it's supposed to be set in the suburbs of Detroit, but they're avoiding saying that. But of course, you're right. It doesn't really make a lot of difference. The story, such as it is, could be anywhere, and apart from that first reference, there aren't a lot of location names dropped. (Save for Crestwood, which comes up a little more often.)
Not sure how she ended up in St. Louis. Held captive somewhere in upstate NY(ish), left on the side of the road. Long way from there to here,

I think it's set in a far-flung, edge city suburb somewhere in Michigan. The football kid is from Jefferson City and in a news clip was called something like "the future of Missouri football." The weird thing for me was she was in 'St. Louis Hospital.' ?? Is that the only hospital in St. Louis? When the nurse said that it sounded so jarringly simplistic I was pulled out of the show and questioned the writer's judgement. Couldn't have tried harder to be a little more realistic—St. Louis Memorial, St. Louis Regional, St. Louis Northwest, St. Louis Presbyterian—anything. Devil's in the details and details create the world.

Anyway, found it far more interesting than Stranger Things....
Jason Bateman's New Netflix series, "Ozark," set at Lake of the Ozarks (LOTO) and is filmed there and in Georgia. Looks dark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y7kHHxylps
...Interesting.
Ten years ago (during the Up In The Air days) I feel like the entire thing would have been filmed here.
Upsetting, Lake Of The Ozarks is fairly unique, hard to replicate. If it's the lake in GA I'm thinking of, the homes are also built against the water but it's nearly as dense and not as many condo towers.
^No doublt. With LOTO not being a Corp lake it is the most unique, best lake in the country. It has something for everyone.

The sky shot in the opening scene of the trailer is overlooking HorseShoe Bend (roughly 7mm) as the show is inspired by the Alhonna Resort and Marina.

"The reason Alhonna was picked, Gross-Russel said, is because the show's writer — Bill Dubuque — worked as a dock hand at the resort while he was in school in the late '80s. Although the studio won't answer questions about the show, Gross-Russel said the filming for the show will mostly be done in the Atlanta, Georgia area, with her resort serving as the inspiration. She said the crew has constructed an Alhonna-like set in Georgia after extensively studying her property."

http://www.news-leader.com/story/news/l ... /86437032/
I don't think any was filmed here (I think we would have known is Kate Upton was in town) but The Layover has its layover set in St. Louis.

http://movieweb.com/the-layover-movie-trailer-2017/

Edit: Apparently some of it was filmed here. In 2015.. https://stlouisvideoproduction.com/2015 ... e-layover/
jshank83 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:32 am
I don't think any was filmed here (I think we would have known is Kate Upton was in town) but The Layover has its layover set in St. Louis.

http://movieweb.com/the-layover-movie-trailer-2017/

Edit: Apparently some of it was filmed here. In 2015.. https://stlouisvideoproduction.com/2015 ... e-layover/
Opening scene is clearly in T2 at Lambert.