Sticky -- Introduce Yourself

A catch-all forum for urban discussion. If it doesn't fit elsewhere, post here.
First unread post520 posts
So, what brings you here?
- I've been here for YEARS, but I don't think I've ever actually introduced myself in this thread yet...
What part of the STL are you from?
- Originally I'm from Mt. Zion (aka near Decatur) IL, but I went to SLU for a few years and lived in Maryland Plaza.
How old are you?
- 24 years old
What do you do, or study?
- I currently work in the Systems Dept. for State Farm; but I also work in profesional sports/arena managment too. I'm looking to move back to STL and to do freelance event management around the US.
What do you want to learn about St. Louis?
- Where can I find a cheap studio apt! But seriously...I'd love to move back to the CWE, but I really want to find a studio for under $400.
Growing up I had little idea what the City was like. It was too easy to live nearby and not be aware what's happening a neighbourhood away, but this site makes it easy to see all the activity across the whole city! I've been reading the site for years, but finally contributed something, so I thought I'd say hi.

When I was born, Woodson Terrace. Mostly grew up in Maryland Heights Township. Now splitting time between Tower Grove South and Evansville, Indiana.

How old are you?
Nearing thirty, but not there yet.

I'm a computer programmer during the week and a bass player on the weekend.

Its history and what we can do to shape its future. Or something like that :)
Hello everyone! I've been reading this forum for a while now and have decided to join in the conversation.

I am an Econ major SIU-C currently, but I am transfering to either IU or Mizzou for 2014. I was born and spent the first few years of my life living on Accomac st. at the corner of Accomac and Nebraska in Compton heights. Unfortunately, my mother (who was raised in the catholic church and went to catholic high school) had little interest in sending her children to a private catholic st. louis high school. So the rockwood district area became our new home until we packed it up for Carbondale when my father was hired by the General Counsel's office at SIU.

I have to give a shout out to Mark Groth. It was his blog that peaked my interest in STL.

I look forward to conversing with everyone here!
A big welcome to all the new folks! Glad to see your matriculation from lurker status! ;)
Originally from Eastern Missouri, I've been away for years, first 6 years in Kansas City, then in Seoul, Korea and traveling in Asia for 6 years and most recently the past two years in Los Angeles. I never thought I'd end up in LA, but followed my then Korean boyfriend here. Since then, we've gotten married and he's achieved green card status and received his CPA license, so our intended goals have been met and we are ready for greener pastures!

I'll just say, Los Angeles isn't for us and we have decided to relocate to St. Louis. I miss the old city with the wonderful stock of old buildings, the dense streets, the beautiful parks and the friendly people. While the weather here in LA is nice, it has gotten old fast and we are both yearning for a return to a four-season climate.

I've followed this site for probably 8 years or so and have enjoyed the treasure trove of information it provides. I've always been an urban enthusiast as well as a St. Louis lover, so it has been great to be able to follow all the updates from around the city. It seems at this point that the city is on the cusp of making a gradual turnaround. I sense promising news with developments such as Cortex and the proliferation of tech related jobs in the city. St. Louis fell hard and far-farther than most, so it has taken longer for it to come out of the old ways and make a comeback, but I sense it is nearly there and we want to be a part of it.

We are planning on arriving in June and renting for a year, but hope to buy a multi-family next year and start building our equity, which is impossible to do in LA! At this point, we are looking at South City locales such as Soulard, Benton Park, Shaw and Tower Grove, where we can invest and develop a nice community oriented apartment or house.

Benton Park and the area around Cherokee Street has always been my favorite architecturally and from what I've read, it seems to be slowly transitioning into something of a hipster area. That element has really transformed sections of LA such as Echo Park and Silver Lake and now seems the time to buy with prices pretty low!

Your thoughts and advice on where to buy now or next year are greatly appreciated. I look forward to making posts soon on various treads on this site and getting to know some of you.
^ welcome!
^^The areas you mention are all great areas in which to invest and live. I wish you the best!
Been lurking for years. Thought it was time to register. Not a native, been in STL for 10-years (was away for ~3 years in the middle of that timeframe). Love the history, learning about the history, and the potential of STL.

South City. Lindenwood park.

How old are you?
Late 30's. Married. Two kids.

As handle indicates, I crunch numbers. I work in corporate finance for large multinational.

Anything and everything. I really enjoy the history of STL. I like learning about the different aspects of the city, region.
I studied urban environments during undergrad (in Cincinnati) and now that I'm back in STL I saw this as a great way to get involved.

Originally Sunset Hills, now downtown, and soon Aventura (don't taze me, bros!). I know the exterior leaves a lot to be desired, but I'm excited to get involved in the FPSE neighborhood.

How old are you?
mid 20s. Married.

Law

The historical contexts, current events, and future possibilities of urban areas. Specifically the growth of form-based codes in the area.
^That's okay. I'm sure it's just a one-year lease. That gives you plenty of time to shop around. :-)

Welcome!
^^ Welcome! And now we have a mole on the inside of Aventura!!
vitalej17 wrote:
Originally Sunset Hills, now downtown, and soon Aventura (don't taze me, bros!). I know the exterior leaves a lot to be desired, but I'm excited to get involved in the FPSE neighborhood.

We're watching you.

^I'm genuinely curious, what's life like there? Is there neighborliness? Is it... suburban?
^ Thanks for the welcome, and I'm happy to be your mole! I'm not moving in for another month, so I can't speak to neighborliness, although I've met the managers and they are genuinely dedicated to building a sense of community in the area. My wife and I wanted the amenities of an apartment complex but still a sense of homeliness (is that the right word?) and community, so we went with one of the town homes. We're looking forward to the move, but my family thinks it's not safe (i.e. suburban) enough and others think it's not urban enough. Trust me, if they let me decorate the outside of it I would!

I hear they hold quite a bit of social events over the summer, but hopefully there will be some more inclusive gatherings at Chouteau Park or something.
I was born and raised in the city, and take great pride in my town. I get sentimental and sappy over old buildings. I am a lover of architecture, particularly flounder houses and alley houses. When it's both a flounder AND an alley house, my head explodes from the excitement!

Born and raised in St. Louis Hills, where my parents still live. I currently live in Lindenwood Park. . .just a few blocks from my parents. . .so? They are great dog sitters, and they even let me borrow stuff sometimes. The LP is nice, and I might live here for a few more years, but my dream is to someday rehab...a flounder house AND/OR an alley house.

How old are you?
Early 30s, single girl with pets.

Event planner by day, grad student by night, and animal rescue volunteer whenever duty (or doody) calls.

How to make this city even greater (I could've said "how to make this city great again," but that would imply it's not already great, which it is).

Anyway, back to lurking, and now, perhaps, posting! :) Looking forward to getting to know you all!
I'm passionate about urban issues and making St. Louis better.

I live in the Central West End but I'm a transplant from the Chicago area. For the record, I've only ever been asked the "St. Louis question" once.

How old are you?
I'm in my 30s and married with kids. I always feel young until summer starts and a new crop of interns shows up at my office and reminds me I'm not 21 anymore.

I work in the investment industry.

Everything! This is an interesting place.
I love development and big cities. Dense urbanity is awesome!

I'm not.

How old are you?

cabbie

How'd this region make Stag so freakin' splendid?
Hello!

My girlfriend Jill and I (Dexter) are starting a weekly Wednesday Happy Hour at Bar Louie in the CWE, near Maryland and Euclid. We are probably going to start a Meetup group too,
regarding this event.

At first, I would like to (somewhat) coordinate this around the STL Cardinals Wednesday evening schedule...but that could change in the future, as this is not just a sports-related happy hour.

I am a baseball/football fan (Jill is not) but we both would just like to meet interesting people, who enjoy discussions about anything!!!!

We are both urban entrepreneurial professionals.

We think it is ok to disagree, but it is not ok to be disagreeable.

Bar Louie has a great deal on Wednesdays - from 5pm onwards, it is $5 buckets which equals $1 per beer. CHEERS!

So, our first happy hour will be on Wednesday July 16th starting at 5:30pm.

For more info on Bar Louie: http://www.barlouieamerica.com/location ... t-end.aspx

More to come later......
So, what brings you here? I stumbled upon this forum this summer while researching lofts and apartments. There was so much information here and I learned so much from the community members. Now that I am closer to my move date and again looking for more info I decided to become a member of the forum. Maybe eventually I can contribute now and then.

What part of the STL are you from? I grew up near Chicago and have been living in Eureka for the past 20 years. Moving downtown in a few weeks.
As for the forum, I was linked by a friend and I've been lurking for a couple of years ever since, but finally decided to sign up so I could offer up my opinions that no one asked for but I'm sure you've all been dying to hear! :D

As for the STL region, I am a transplant, I grew up all over the country and ended up down here after going to school at SIUE.

Central West End

How old are you?
Late 20's, Unmarried, No Kids

I'm a computer programmer.

Over the past few years, I've learned a ton about the history, unique culture and neighborhoods of this city. I've come to love it, from its awesome brick buildings to its nearly permanent inferiority complex. I hope to continue learning more about this city, how it got the way it is and where it can go in the future.
Aaron here. Cheers!
Hello, everybody.

Obviously, I'm from Kansas City -- and I'm living in Kansas City, but I'd like for it to be known that I absolutely love St. Louis. I think it's a great city and I love to visit. Both Kansas City and St. Louis are hidden gems in flyover country and I have no desire to leave this region.

St. Louis is the only city I'd leave Kansas City for. But in order to do that, I'd need some sort of employment situation to fall into my lap, because I've got a good gig over here on the West side of the state.

I wish St. Louis the very, very best.
What's up everybody. Long time listener, first time caller.

Born in Hazelwood, raised in Kirkwood, moved to Tower Grove, then back to Kirkwood (That ol' chestnut of a story).

Big downtown booster. Strong advocate of reuniting the city & county and strongly oppose the factionalism of city vs. county people. We're in this together. Bla bla bla yackity shmackity.
Hello friends!

My name is Nathan Gotch and I live in Chesterfield.
Never introduced myself.

Im Will, planning and gis master's student at SLU.

long time lurker; infrequent poster.