SLMPD's Not So Finest Moments

A catch-all forum for urban discussion. If it doesn't fit elsewhere, post here.
Came across this story last night of a resident of a downtown loft building being the victim of an armed robbery attempt while entering her building. There is surveillance video backing up this. She reports that police seemed to not believe her claim until seeing the video and also reports multiple 911 calls going unanswered. Quote from the story:

"Schlosser then called 911, but couldn't reach an operator. "I got a recording," she said... When officers finally came, Schlosser said they were reluctant to believe her story until they saw the surveillance video. The incident left Schlosser shaken; not only over the robbery, but the experience of failing to get help when she needed it."

I've never been one to have a problem with law enforcement, but stories like the above along with the recent questionable police tactics involving the kettling incident downtown on Sept 17th reported by numerous individuals make me seriously question if there is a police problem in the city of St. Louis.

It is one thing to have a crime problem. To additionally have questionable trust and confidence in your police force would seem to be an entirely different obstacle for a city to contend with.
The very few times I've called 911, it took on average 2-3 calls to reach someone. One was to report a suspicious individual who had a gun walking down the street and a police squad car didn't drive by until at least 30 minutes later.

I've brought this up in at least two other threads at this point, but it's not shocking to see people drive like maniacs (running red lights, swerving in and out of lanes at high speeds, driving with plates that expired months or years ago) and police who are present and even witness it to not even blink an eye or think about pulling them over. I'm running out of patience with the city on this issue.
^ I completely agree about the terrible driving, and getting worse. Probably the most likely way I'd be killed or injured is from driving in city limits. What useful suggestions are there? Writing to alderperson?
Is the area in the OP story part of the CID that fired all its guides in order to pay SLMPD for extra coverage?
bprop wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:57 pm
Is the area in the OP story part of the CID that fired all its guides in order to pay SLMPD for extra coverage?
It appears so. The incident occurred at the Elder Shirt Lofts (Lucas and 13th) and the CID appears to cover this area according to the map at the bottom of the Downtown STL CID site here: http://www.downtownstl.org/downtown-cid/

I recall the story of the CID terminating the guides to pay for better security but not the details. I went back and read this story on it. Four patrols in pairs from 10am-2pm and 4pm-8pm.
I've never had a problem with police responding to a 911 call or a call over the non-emergency number.

However, once when I called 911, the dispatcher answered, "Hello." Puzzled, I asked 'Is this 911?' She says 'Yeah,' rather rudely like I interpreted her Candy Crush game. Wow! You can't get more unprofessional, untrained than that.
That's 911 101.

I can't speak to Schlosser's case and her treatment by the police officers, but I would not be surprised if the 911 call center is a raving, out-of-control, lack-of-proper-training, sh*tshow.
I think experiences are going to vary by precinct, and that is the sad truth.
To be fair to the officer, we don't know if the driver was being a [double expletive]
My A/C condensers were recently stolen. Called the cops to get a report for the insurance company. They show up > 2 hours later, and one of them lights up a cigarette in my back yard while we’re going over the details. Not the end of the world but really really unprofessional.
ricke002 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:32 pm
To be fair to the officer, we don't know if the driver was being a [double expletive]
But we do know. It’s on video. If he was, it was in response to being pulled over without having committed any violations and in response to the officer being sarcastic first and then outright belligerent.
urban_dilettante wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:41 pm
But we do know. It’s on video. If he was, it was in response to being pulled over without having committed any violations and in response to the officer being sarcastic first and then outright belligerent.
I was being 100% facetious.
ricke002 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:32 pm
Last time I checked, being a [double expletive] was not a traffic violation. Based on the video the officer likely pulled him over for no reason. The driver asks the officer multiple times why he needs to see his license (essentially "why did you pull me over") and the officer gives no reason, just threats. And, from the story:

"The officer issued the driver a ticket, but News 4 learned the city counselor's office will not prosecute it, saying they do not believe it should be pursued".

So, pretty clear there was no traffic violation.

Keep it classy STLPD and enjoy your well deserved raise.
STLToday: Cop in heated exchange with motorist over honking is ID'd as investigator of officer-involved shootings

"The officer, Detective Steven Burle, was hired by the St. Louis Police Department in 1989 and is a member of the five-person unit tasked with investigating every time a St. Louis city officer uses a gun to kill or wound someone."

To date, St. Louis police have fatally shot at least eight people this year.