What's Going Up? Construction Conundrums

A catch-all forum for urban discussion. If it doesn't fit elsewhere, post here.
Rolling by an unusual construction site in St. Louis City (or within the metro area) and wonder what's going on?

With so much construction happening throughout the region, there's bound to be construction surprises here and there.

The numerous STL construction, development and crane watch/tracker sites can't keep up with everything.

Have you heard a solid rumor mill about a potential project in the works for the City, County or metro?

Ask questions, share your rumors and photos here.
COMING SOON.........or so it says.

Indianapolis-based Pearl Companies has a placeholder for a new $50M, 220-unit residential project for St. Louis on its WEBSITE (or go to 'Portfolio'). Where in St. Louis would this go? I don't know. It doesn't say.

Pearl Companies is the firm responsible for the proposed 100-unit, $24M Dogtown project now called "Hibernia" (6300 Clayton Road), which was approved in January by residents.
arch city wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:34 pm

Indianapolis-based Pearl Companies has a placeholder for a new $50M, 220-unit residential project for St. Louis on its WEBSITE (or go to 'Portfolio'). Where in St. Louis would this go? I don't know. It doesn't say.

Pearl Companies is the firm responsible for the proposed 100-unit, $24M Dogtown project now called "Hibernia" (6300 Clayton Road), which was approved in January by residents.
They're the ones designing the dogtown project: https://www.hiberniabypearl.com/

-RBB
arch city wrote:

Interesting. A little bigger than double the Dogtown project at double the price. I assume that means it won't be twice as tall (and it will just be twice the land space) because then it would be more than twice as much because of height? Or would land price offset the building up price? I guess that depends where they build it. I say that under the impression that as you go up the price goes up quicker than just building over more land at a lower height. People on here would know better than me though. What other recent projects are in the 220 unit range? It seems like the new tower in Clayton was around that but I can't remember counts on others. How big is Everly and the newer ones in CWE?
^ both the mid-rise Chouteau's Landing (think that may have a new name now, btw) in The Grove and the Encore project in The Highlands are in that 220 unit range. The recently completed Citizen Park on Lindell as well and I guess I'd call that a tall mid-rise.or short tower. I think the Everly tower is about 200 but is geared to students and layouts may be a bit different from your traditional market-rate.

My sense too is that your getting into pricier construction once you go legit high but as you say land costs and other factors come into play on overall project costs.
arch city wrote:

For kicks I contacted them and they said this
Currently we have a couple different potential future projects that are under development/in the works in St Louis
but wouldn't go into more detail beyond that
This may not be the best place to post this, but here goes.

The Construction Forum St. Louis is asking for help locating and photographing constructions cranes in the area. They're seeking an overall count for the region.

http://www.constructforstl.org/forum-in ... nt-cranes/
Hmmm...I'm hearing rumors about a possible new residential development in the 3800 block of Olive.
There was rumors there about a year ago, maybe longer, then it got pulled. Hope it's true.

Having that much vacant land by SLU and Grand Center is a real head-scratcher.
^Yeah, what I'm hearing is a new proposal; more up-scale. Just a rumor, though.
shadrach wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:29 pm
There was rumors there about a year ago, maybe longer, then it got pulled. Hope it's true.

Having that much vacant land by SLU and Grand Center is a real head-scratcher.
Don't know that it's that much of a head scratcher. It was a residential neighborhood that changed dramatically, thanks to changing demographics and assorted prominent creatures variously fleeing, burying their heads in the sand, or turning turtle as their neighbors struggled. Biondi is hardly the only culprit, to be fair, but . . . well . . . he walled off his fortress. Some of the arts organizations did a little better, maybe, but only just. And artists, by and in large, have neither money nor a knowledge of building maintenance. (I say this as a composer, poet, and roustabout with an old house that needs maintenance. Which . . . yeah . . . I'll get to it. Eventually. Cross my heart.) Things are . . . maybe beginning to look up in the neighborhood finally? After a long long fight. But it will take a long time to fill in all the holes. And the damage that's been done to people's lives in the process may never be fully repaired. Certainly not in our generation.

But I'm being bitter and cynical. Too many years seeing stuff fall down because we don't care enough and hearing nothing but animosity towards the people stuck in the wreckage. I hope one day things will truly be better. Not just fancy housing developments for rich college kids better, but decent housing and opportunities for all of us; new college kids and old hands alike better.
I would personally like to see the few remaining homes left in the area used as models to rebuild the neighborhood. That would still leave several parking lot spaces available in Grand Center to build mid-rise apartment structures in the future.
symphonicpoet wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:26 am
Don't know that it's that much of a head scratcher.
All valid points and won't disagree at all. Like most of my comments, they need context—a context that exists only in my head.
So here goes—

So I'm some guy visiting from, let's say, Toronto. Never been to St. Louis, know nothing about it. I look on the map and see an area with a dense street grid at the intersection of two main streets—there's the Pulitzer, CAM, Powell, Fox, Kranzenberg, Jazz at the Bistro, KDHX, KWMU, SLU, GCAA, VA Hospital and start to form a picture. Wow, this area must be happening with unique shops, stores, bars and restaurants for the college students. And I bet it's got a ton of funky old, new apartments there with this a cool college/media/art vibe!

And then you visit. Nothing like I thought it would be. And you scratch your head saying, 'wow, what a disappointment!'
shadrach wrote:
symphonicpoet wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:26 am
Don't know that it's that much of a head scratcher.
All valid points and won't disagree at all. Like most of my comments, they need context—a context that exists only in my head.
So here goes—

So I'm some guy visiting from, let's say, Toronto. Never been to St. Louis, know nothing about it. I look on the map and see an area with a dense street grid at the intersection of two main streets—there's the Pulitzer, CAM, Powell, Fox, Kranzenberg, Jazz at the Bistro, KDHX, KWMU, SLU, GCAA, VA Hospital and start to form a picture. Wow, this area must be happening with unique shops, stores, bars and restaurants for the college students. And I bet it's got a ton of funky old, new apartments there with this a cool college/media/art vibe!

And then you visit. Nothing like I thought it would be. And you scratch your head saying, 'wow, what a disappointment!'
EXACTLY.