The New NextStl Kickstarter

A catch-all forum for urban discussion. If it doesn't fit elsewhere, post here.

We link to NextStl articles everyday on UrbanStl. Please consider donating today since there is only 3 days left!!!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ne ... -next-stl/
Already backed them - I just shared it on FB again. If you all can't donate - sharing helps a lot too!
FWIW - this forum is NEXT STL. The Kickstarter will help ensure the website, this forum, the podcast, etc. continue. While my inclination is to leave the forum alone - no big changes planned - it will get a little design and logo makeover. The forum began as Urban STL, then combined with my blog to create NEXT STL, then split, and is now back. Anyway - thought I'd chime in.

And yes, please do consider supporting the Kickstarter! They and them is you, me, and us! Overall, some big changes are coming and I invite anyone who wants to have a hand in managing or working on any part of this effort to let me know. [email protected]
Is NextSTL dead without Alex at the helm? Recently it's been nothing but crickets....
moorlander wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:22 pm
Is NextSTL dead without Alex at the helm? Recently it's been nothing but crickets....
I was thinking the same thing. I think the community has to get together and start submitting articles. I've written for NEXTSTL once in the past, but I would be willing to contribute more in the future.
Has anyone heard anything from the new site owner at all?
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has been thinking about this. I donated to the Kickstarter, expecting NextSTL to really start pumping out some stuff, but it looks like the website is dead. No articles in a month and it's not like there isn't development to talk about. I see the usual NextSTL/UrbanSTL suspects post stuff on Twitter almost daily regarding permits and development.
I second all of this. I hate to whiney but retweeting some Streetsblog articles is hardly keeping the site going.
I know transitions can't be easy, especially when Alex's shoes will be extremely hard to fill. That said, I'm going to give NextSTL another month or two before questioning things. I too donated money so I can understand the uncertainty many may feel with the radio silence... but I trust Alex and his choice for a new site owner so I'll give them both more time to build momentum again.
I too donated and was suppose had received a shirt by mail in May but have never gotten anything so its made me wonder quite a bit but i'll give it the benefit of the doubt.
So far it seems like an incredible missed opportunity. The fundraising was supposed to solidify nextstl's future and in some regards take it to even higher levels of reporting, commentary and analysis. Instead it's taken a gigantic step back, toward obscurity and irrelevance. At best the transition has been handled extremely poorly. At worst nextSTL is in its demise.

It doesn't take a ton of work or enthusiasm to generate a single post or find some people who are interested in doing so (i.e. some of you right here on this forum as has been pointed out). Weeks on end without a single substantive post points to a complete void of initiative, vision and leadership at the top.

"Let's just let the site wallow indefinitely (but for at least a month) with no content or any sort of announcement or comment from us on our vision and how excited we are about this incredible opportunity to make a material contribution to the dialogue around the progress, challenges and future of St. Louis, while we pull our heads out of our asses and decide what we want to do with it. Because for whatever reason right now we're unable or simply don't want to continue doing what made it so popular and engaging to begin with." -New NextSTL Owner(s)/Editor(s) (as interpreted by a disappointed devoted reader and supporter)
Agreed - I feel like an update from someone in the new inner circle is warranted pretty soon.
St.Louis1764 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:38 pm
I too donated and was suppose had received a shirt by mail in May but have never gotten anything so its made me wonder quite a bit but i'll give it the benefit of the doubt.
I received mine a few months ago. I'd reach out to Alex on this one... could be as simple as an addressing error.
chaifetz10 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:41 am
St.Louis1764 wrote:
I received mine a few months ago. I'd reach out to Alex on this one... could be as simple as an addressing error.
I received mine a few months ago as well.
mjbais1489 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:04 am
chaifetz10 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:41 am
St.Louis1764 wrote:
I received mine a few months ago as well.
Never got mine either.