Unbuilt St. Louis

A catch-all forum for urban discussion. If it doesn't fit elsewhere, post here.
First unread post239 posts
chaifetz10 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:08 pm
Let's not forget about the proposed SLU Law building on campus that would have wrapped around and included Queen's Daughters Hall:
I'm still bummed about this. It would be great to see that project come to fruition someday, albeit for some other academic department.
^Actually, I'm glad they saved the modernist building that it would have replaced.
framer wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:24 am
Sorry, I don't have any more images. I stole this one from the Facebook Group St. Louis Missouri, History Landmarks and Vintage Photos. Who knows; maybe the structure was engineered for the extra floors, and they could still be added.

It's interesting to note that the SW Bell building's south facade was still bare brick until sometime around the 1980s or 90s, when they finally covered it with limestone.
Huh! I don't remember that. And . . . I really should, I suppose. But maybe I just wasn't downtown enough then. Probably started going downtown regularly in the early to mid 90s sometime.
Here's a partial scan of a page from American City, by Robert Sharoff:

^A Proposed addition?!
framer wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 12:41 pm
I bet most of you youngsters have never even heard of the Meramec Dam proposal.

Back in the 1970s, the Corp of Engineers had actually started construction of a 180' high dam at Sullivan, which would have created a 23,000 acre lake less than an hour away from St. Louis. It would have prevented the kind of flooding that effected the Meramec in the St. Louis area recently. It would have also destroyed the Meramec's free-flowing river system and flooded thousands of acres of beautiful land (including such areas as Meramec State Park and Onondoga Cave).

In 1978, voters in a non-binding referendum rejected the plan by a 2 to 1 margin. The dam was officially de-authorized in 1981.

https://www.rollanet.org/~conorw/cwome/ ... mbined.htm

https://sierraclub.org/missouri/eastern ... 1_25_years
Wow this is really interesting, I wonder if we'll be forced to re-visit this again soon and if it's worth the trouble.
Can we add NextStl 2.0 to the unbuilt St. Louis list yet?

Too soon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe we should start a campaign to return NextSTL to version 1.0.
addxb2 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:54 pm
Can we add NextStl 2.0 to the unbuilt St. Louis list yet?

Too soon?

Ouch! That's harsh... but sadly true.
addxb2 wrote:Can we add NextStl 2.0 to the unbuilt St. Louis list yet?

Too soon?

Agreed... getting really letdown.

I used to check NextSTL several times per day, now it's about once per week. Really a bummer. If I wasn't at school in Columbia I would volunteer to produce some regular content.
Who's running it these days? Are they on the forum? I suppose I could probably be conned into trying my hand at something. I didn't really discover NextSTL until pretty late in the game, and I'm not particularly connected in the development world aside from this venue, but if someone wanted to point me at something I'd be willing to give it a go, and I do have time, a camera, and at least perfunctory writing skills. (And an unhealthy distaste for AP style, which . . . might cause some trouble.)
symphonicpoet wrote:Who's running it these days? Are they on the forum? I suppose I could probably be conned into trying my hand at something. I didn't really discover NextSTL until pretty late in the game, and I'm not particularly connected in the development world aside from this venue, but if someone wanted to point me at something I'd be willing to give it a go, and I do have time, a camera, and at least perfunctory writing skills. (And an unhealthy distaste for AP style, which . . . might cause some trouble.)
Last I heard, Jason Deem was supposed to be running it. That was from a Riverfront Times Article earlier in the year. My website that is not meant to take NextSTL’s Place is full with writers so best bet would be for you to try to see who runs NextSTL so that you could help relaunch it in a way.
Well, the photo tour of the NW and random tweets about non-St. Louis train stations aren't making me feel any better about the future. Feels like whoever has the log in information is just posting content with hopes that anything is better than nothing. :|
I spoke with Jason Deem recently. He said that it took longer than he expected to get things transferred/in order but he's hoping to post an update very soon. The unfortunate reality is that Alex did most of the writing previously, so Jason needs people to submit content.

Symphonicpoet, I'm sure he would be happy to have you writing for the site; send him an email at [email protected]. I'm planning/hoping to contribute some articles as well as time permits.

As for the current content, I think Richard is just doing what he can to keep the well from going dry until things get back on track.
Update direct from Jason:

https://nextstl.com/2017/09/whats-next/
Fair answers all. To be honest, I'm better positioned to write about the arts than about development, since . . . that's what I do. But I sent off an e-mail. No skin off my teeth either way. I want to see NextSTL and UrbanSTL remain the vibrant and useful resources on urbanism that they've become. And if there's something I can do to support that, I'm happy to help. But I'm equally happy to sit back and watch the splendid contributions of those more capable and to move back to my peculiar corner of creative obscurity. Best luck to him either way. And to Alex, for that matter. And to all those out there working to improve our built environment and the social fabric that flows through it.
Just came across another cool rendering of the old Mercantile Center:

^Great find! At least we got the most substantial of the bunch. OT but that's a primary reason I am so anxious to see Centene get going on phases 3 and 4 ASAP!
^Actually, the one that was built is the 35 story tower on the right edge of the cluster. The tallest one in the middle would have been 51 stories.
Just found this image while browsing an estate sale listing. I'm not sure exactly where this would have been, but I'm guessing along Market Street, maybe where the General American/Laclede Gas/Spire building is?

Anyway, pretty cool old image.

Here's the listing for the sale:

https://www.estatesales.net/MO/Richmond ... modal=true
framer wrote:Just found this image while browsing an estate sale listing. I'm not sure exactly where this would have been, but I'm guessing along Market Street, maybe where the General American/Laclede Gas/Spire building is?

Anyway, pretty cool old image.

Here's the listing for the sale:

https://www.estatesales.net/MO/Richmond ... modal=true
This would’ve been where the Bank of America tower is. Based on the street grid surrounding it.
And is that supposed to be the Spanish Pavilion to the left?

http://www.nywf64.com/spain12.html
framer wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:06 pm
And is that supposed to be the Spanish Pavilion to the left?

http://www.nywf64.com/spain12.html
To the far left? My guess would be yes. As for that small pavilion in between, your guess is as good as mine.
Gateway Mall proposal, ca. 1960. Swiped from St. Louis Missouri History, Landmarks, & Vintage Photos on Facebook: