Next announcement? Discussion.

A catch-all forum for urban discussion. If it doesn't fit elsewhere, post here.
First unread post207 posts
Most of us check local media everyday in hopes of seeing any of the following phrases.
-Chemical building to become office and residential.
-Cordish announces 3 tower development at BPV.
-MLS chooses _________. Will begin construction in fall.
-Bottle District redevelopment resurfaces.
- __________ relocates office Downtown.
-Cortex attracts Fortune 500 company.
-Mayor and alder-people get along; solve problems.
-N/S metro moves forward.
....etc

Some of these are likely, and some will never happen.
Whats the next announcement? Doesn't have to be from above.
Next big announcement is Metro and it's coming this week.
dbInSouthCity wrote:

Hilarious.
^ I doubt it will be Metrolink. I say its either, St. Louis County has picked their Metro corridor to study, state has to give Metro money per new federal guidelines you talked about, or some kind of plan for BRT. Maybe even something about smart cards or new planned transfer centers. My fantasy is that Metro will build Westport and adopt a version of St. Louis Streetcar plan as N-S Metrolink replacement.
Then again, it could be some kind of movement towards some kind of North-South Metrolink or BRT, because that was explicitly mention in the Ferguson Commission. Who knows, maybe the Feds put pressure on MoDOT and state to make something big happen with North County, City, and Transit. It definitely would be a great photo opportunity for all the individuals involved and the inevitable 10 year later documentaries could potentially show a Metrolink train and new streetscape running down the same street where the rioting took place.
goat314 wrote:
Then again, it could be some kind of movement towards some kind of North-South Metrolink or BRT

Cara Spencer said she was trying to get things moving on N/S Metro a few weeks ago. Mayor Slay also hinted at something recently. Slay might be looking for the KO on the NGA decision. Metro connection is a huge amenity Scott holds over city location.
^ I remember before the stadium was killed there was discussion of a so-called "Project Connect" and it was talked about how they were exploring a northern metro spur to connect downtown to the site. Maybe the Moleg gets behind transit one time to make that vital transit connection to thousands of jobs. Maybe Metro is getting behind the starter St. Louis Streetcar plan as a substitute for the N-S Metrolink. If the state, metro, and feds get on one page, we could have the St. Louis Streetcar plan up by 2020. With recent talks that Missouri may have to contribute nearly $100M a year to transit in the state, it could get easy. Surely a $300M streetcar plan with a BRT overlay to NOCO/SOCO would go over way better than a $2B Metrolink line and get done much faster.

Also, dont forget the Promise Zone designation, along with the Choice Neighborhood grant gives city some priority to federal money that would normally not be available.
addxb2 wrote:
dbInSouthCity wrote:

Hilarious.

I wasn't joking....
^ you must know something we dont....now your teasing? lol
goat314 wrote:
^ I remember before the stadium was killed there was discussion of a so-called "Project Connect"

I can't imagine any project this size being kept secret. I feel like we would have heard whispers by now. Maybe I'm just that out of the loop.
dbInSouthCity wrote:
addxb2 wrote:
dbInSouthCity wrote:

Hilarious.

I wasn't joking....

I apologize. Anything you can share?
I will not but I'll come back tomorrow to manage expectations :)
Something security related?
^ aw man...we dont want to hear that. We want all the juicy details you got. So I'm guessing it is all hype, no N-S Metrolink anytime soon. My guess is smart cards! Or maybe we are "studying" the "potential" of "possibly" having better transit.
quincunx wrote:
Something security related?

The tweet from Matthew Hibbard....that started this fiasco said "get excited" I hope its not smart card or security related.

Matthew Hibbard said, "Lots of big news pertaining to St. Louis public transportation this week. Stay tuned and get excited folks."

He is implying that it is something outside the norm, probably the biggest public transit news we have seen in a while.

DB comes here and implies Metro will make a big announcement this week, then gives out very little info.

My gut tells me I will be disappointed if expectations have to be managed, because whats big in St. Louis is routine in most cities these days.
:D I mean security is all good and stuff but not something to get excited about. "Hey get excited that you won't be stabbed on the next bus or train ride, yay!"
^ In St. Louis it is.....low expectations.
dbInSouthCity wrote:
:D I mean security is all good and stuff but not something to get excited about. "Hey get excited that you won't be stabbed on the next bus or train ride, yay!"

Can you at least tell us if most people on this board would actually be "excited" by this top secret news because I'm skeptical now.
Could be turnstiles.
North county transit center opening date and reorg of bus routes serving it?
OhEmGee MetroLink expansion from the airport to St. Chuck running along I-70?!?

-RBB
Doubt it, better not be, so many other places to put transit $ with higher payoffs
quincunx wrote:
Doubt it, better not be, so many other places to put transit $ with higher payoffs

Heavy sarcasm implied, sir.

-RBB
rbb wrote:
OhEmGee MetroLink expansion from the airport to St. Chuck running along I-70?!?

quincunx wrote:
... so many other places to put transit $ with higher payoffs

Yeah I know your joking but this is my read on it. Whether its a good investment or not, this WILL happen as soon as St. Charles joins the Metro Sales taxing district, and will NEVER happen before then.

OhEmGee St. Charles is joining the sales tax district!!!!!?!??!?!?!?!?!???!??!??
North Co Transit Center opening date and new routes
http://www.metrostlouis.org/PlanYourTri ... dates.aspx