Crime Thread

A catch-all forum for urban discussion. If it doesn't fit elsewhere, post here.
First unread post7017 posts
^ still hyperbolically shitting all over things on social media, I imagine.
urban_dilettante wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:25 pm
^ still hyperbolically shitting all over things on social media, I imagine.
You could try posting something of substance in this thread instead of single emoticon replies or trolling. Just a thought my friend!

Ok you two. Let's break it up and try to move back on topic...
By all means, let's move back on topic.....

STL crime is a stain on the region, out of control, and several std deviations above what should be acceptable.

But, for some I suppose, it is a small price to pay for living in such a glorious city that is clearly on an upward trajectory.
spreadsheetwizard wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:26 pm
By all means, let's move back on topic.....

STL crime is a stain on the region, out of control, and several std deviations above what should be acceptable.

But, for some I suppose, it is a small price to pay for living in such a glorious city that is clearly on an upward trajectory.
or maybe some think that bitching about it incessantly on the internet doesn't accomplish anything. an actual discussion on how to implement change would be one thing, but that's not happening here. this is just a group masturbation session.

by all means, please continue solving all the problems.
The fifth fatal St. Louis city police shooting in three months occurred last night.

Stolen vehicle tried to ram officers before fatal shooting in St. Louis, police say
Just for comparison, I decided to look at the comment section on a recent article on the situation in Minneapolis and found it mildly amusing.

http://www.startribune.com/minneapolis- ... 435864713/

Apparently a segment of locals is in near hysterics over the state of Minneapolis, which all of us here probably thinks is a crime free paradise with great urban neighborhoods, great standard of living and a progressive culture. Sort of puts all the hysterics on this forum and in the Post-Dispatch comment sections in stark relief.
Never read the comments. Anywhere. Ever.
framer wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:34 am
Never read the comments. Anywhere. Ever.
Yup. Words to live by.
Minneapolis had 17 criminal homicides through June, fwiw on comparisons. (STL 92 through June and now up to at least 110.)
STLrainbow wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:28 pm
Minneapolis had 17 criminal homicides through June, fwiw on comparisons. (STL 92 through June and now up to at least 110.)
Wow. I'm assuming this is within Minneapolis proper? ...Which has a population of about 100K greater than St. Louis.

Interesting to look at demographics. The minority population in 1950 was under 2%. In 1970 it was under 7%. By 2010, the African American population was 18.6% and Hispanic/Latino 10.5%. Source

I've long guessed the crime situation in the city of St. Louis is directly related to a long history of institutionalized racism and disenfranchisement of minority populations. Without having a substantial minority population pre-Civil Rights Movement it only seems logical that the same history was not able to occur in Minneapolis.
Isn't the former Carr School building owned by McKee?
Mia Johnson, who passes by the school every day going to and from work, said she often sees groups of people going inside the building.
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crim ... 8078b.html

Zero attempts to keep people out.
^ It's owned by the Hubbard-run Carr Square Tenant Assoc., which does have some strong ties with McKee but is separate. I'd have to look it up, but iirc there is some kind of plan for Carr School as part of the HUD Choice Neighborhood project.
^^ yeah, those 17 homicides were for Minneapolis City.

Aside from the gun violence, it has about the same number of Part One crimes as the city, and in some categories such as robberies and burglaries actually more reported incidents, but as you mentioned it does have a population about a third higher than ours.
A study finds racial disparities in police officers' use of language
A systematic analysis of police body camera footage shows they tend to speak less respectfully to black residents than to white residents.
https://engineering.stanford.edu/news/s ... e-language
It's not major crime at all but... I've been witnessing more and more people who run red lights in the city recently. Even more apparent since my last post on this a few weeks ago. As in they'll either roll through or simply go after briefly stopping. I can't remember seeing it happen this much, well, ever. Is it that people simply don't care or perhaps they feel like they can get away with it if caught? I wish STL had red light cameras at this point.
Yes, I've noticed more douchebaggery over the last year. Cars without license plates weaving in traffic. Excessive speeding, stop light running. I drive I-64 daily in the city and have seen a cop shooting radar on average every other month at best. I'd also set up a permanent policeman on Kingshighway going north as it's a daily occurrence. Someone is going to get killed by a car crossing Kingshwy going to the park in the near future from these @$$hats.
I've seen this as well. Also saw someone on 270 in Creve Coeur a few months ago get out of their car in traffic to try to start a fight with another motorist blocking lanes for a bit. The other car just darted off.
Red light and stop sign running and speeding and weaving in and out of lanes has always been a problem, but it has seemingly gotten much worse over the last couple years all over the Metro area. There's just no enforcement. We finally made some progress on the predatory speed traps, but it seems like officers stopped caring about any traffic violations. If there is any Ferguson effect, it's officers using it as an excuse to be lazy and not do any enforcement of the real problems (see MetroLink).
hebeters2 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:14 pm
A study finds racial disparities in police officers' use of language
A systematic analysis of police body camera footage shows they tend to speak less respectfully to black residents than to white residents.
https://engineering.stanford.edu/news/s ... e-language
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

But seriously, what did this study cost? $5? Did a study need to occur for this to be known?
sticks and stones....
I actually don't think this is the correct thread for this, however very recently I drove in St. Louis for the first time. Since I moved from the area, I've lived in multiple places across the country so I have experienced driving elsewhere, even in the New York area where I live currently. My GOD. Drivers in St. Louis are aggressive as hell. From traffic weaving to general middle fingers, the St. Louis freeways are far more wild than New Jersey and New York. Honestly, I-64 WB at 5:15 on a Friday from the city to 141 is as wild as I-95 SB approaching Miami. I'm not kidding. I did not recall this when living in the area, and neither did my parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chalupas54 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:02 pm
I actually don't think this is the correct thread for this, however very recently I drove in St. Louis for the first time. Since I moved from the area, I've lived in multiple places across the country so I have experienced driving elsewhere, even in the New York area where I live currently. My GOD. Drivers in St. Louis are aggressive as hell. From traffic weaving to general middle fingers, the St. Louis freeways are far more wild than New Jersey and New York. Honestly, I-64 WB at 5:15 on a Friday from the city to 141 is as wild as I-95 SB approaching Miami. I'm not kidding. I did not recall this when living in the area, and neither did my parents.

Couldn't disagree more. I think St. Louis has very passive, defensive driving. In not a good way. People going speed limit or under in the far left lane, not turning right on reds (where permitted), not merging at appropriate places/times.
^ gonna have to agree with Chalupas. i lived in Virginia for 10 years and Colorado for 2 years before moving back here earlier this year. drivers here are more aggressive than i've experienced in Central VA/NoVA/BalWash or the Denver/Boulder area. i mean, the traffic is way worse on the east coast of course, but in the cities you just don't see the complete disregard for lights and signs and speed limits and pedestrians that you do here, on average.

and, yeah, fake and expired license plates are out of control around here. i'd say 2 or 3 out of 10 cars on the road either have no license plates or fake or expired "dealer" plates. we also need to do something about the people who live in MO but license their vehicles in IL. the city and county PDs both need to be wiped clean and replaced with a unified, professional department.

on a related note, has anyone else noticed a TON of Texas plates around recently?
urban_dilettante wrote:
on a related note, has anyone else noticed a TON of Texas plates around recently?

One of the other things I noticed! Especially around west county.